Sacrificed/cut up a Noctua NF-A4x10 -> MUCH more silent terminal output GPU

Metallus97

F for the smallest noctua there is. But this was well worth it!

IMG_2611.thumb.jpeg.d2bc3ced78002ee3f631d509b8e83ea6.jpeg

I use this old AMD HD6450 as a terminal output and boot device for my Unraid, but the rest of the system is 100% on a full big loop (with noctua fans) and therefore very silent.

This cards fan has a damaged bearing and was running 100% all the time due to no proper fan control being available and other problems with linux (wich unsaid is based on).

SO yeha spend 10$ for a used NF-A4, cut it up and glued it in to place. Used Noctua聽OmniJoin and a low noise adapter -> cant hear it and the GPU stays cool!

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 馃檪

f

well i wouldn't cut up a fan but meh i would just zip tie it. ya old gpus are LOUDE!

might have just gone with out the fan...

also you can buy a pci 120mm fan to blow on it but anyway.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

7 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

f

well i wouldn't cut up a fan but meh i would just zip tie it. ya old gpus are LOUDE!

might have just gone with out the fan...

also you can buy a pci 120mm fan to blow on it but anyway.

yeha first I was about to use zip ties, but then the card was to big and would get close to zero airflow.... and well: It fits so perfectly in there and was only 10$ :D聽.

Same with the PCIe fan: no space and that would be louder than the noc

If its just for basic video output it seems a huge waste of both a fan and electricity, seeing as a basic passive video card should be pretty cheap and anything powerful enough to need a fan is likely to idle quite high compared to something that doesn't.

Router:聽 Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

44 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

If its just for basic video output it seems a huge waste of both a fan and electricity, seeing as a basic passive video card should be pretty cheap and anything powerful enough to need a fan is likely to idle quite high compared to something that doesn't.

Thats correct! But I have pretty low airflow inside the case because of external rads and didn't. want to buy a lower energy GPU for output. The fan itself consumes about 1W so I dont care about that. The system doesn't over 1 kW soooo yeha xD.

Maybe at some point ill replace it with something more efficient!

25 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Thats correct! But I have pretty low airflow inside the case because of external rads and didn't. want to buy a lower energy GPU for output. The fan itself consumes about 1W so I dont care about that. The system doesn't over 1 kW soooo yeha xD.

Maybe at some point ill replace it with something more efficient!

Not really had to think about it though for years personally though as everything I own has iGPUs.

Router:聽 Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

11 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Not really had to think about it though for years personally though as everything I own has iGPUs.

Welllll I need paralisation big time. Therefore Ryzen was the only option. Well ok I am to poor for Thread-ipper :(...