Is There a Trick to Installing an IO Shield?

I built a PC for the first time last summer. I installed a GIGABYTE Z390 UD LGA 1151 motherboard into a DIY case, but I was never able to get the IO shield to snap into place. I eventually got frustrated and gave up. I am going to rebuild that PC into a Fractal Design R6 case. I hope to gain more experience (without having to buy all the components of a new PC) and ideally do a much better job of cable management. I haven't started to disassemble it yet, but I have tried to install the IO shield and I just can't seem to install it. The next time I buy a motherboard, I think I will look into one of those MSI boards that don't use a separate shield, although I am pretty sure that would be an example of the tail wagging the dog in terms of motherboard selection.  But is there some trick to installing an IO shield or does this model just suck in this regard?.  I would appreciate any (helpful suggestions.  Thank you.

push really hard or just dont put it in. you dont really need it. if you dont, it kinda helps with exhaust airflow

Just yank it in, I\O shield will get in place if your case isn't made of paper.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 minutes ago, Michael McChesney said:

I built a PC for the first time last summer. I installed a GIGABYTE Z390 UD LGA 1151 motherboard into a DIY case, but I was never able to get the IO shield to snap into place. I eventually got frustrated and gave up. I am going to rebuild that PC into a Fractal Design R6 case. I hope to gain more experience (without having to buy all the components of a new PC) and ideally do a much better job of cable management. I haven't started to disassemble it yet, but I have tried to install the IO shield and I just can't seem to install it. The next time I buy a motherboard, I think I will look into one of those MSI boards that don't use a separate shield, although I am pretty sure that would be an example of the tail wagging the dog in terms of motherboard selection.  But is there some trick to installing an IO shield or does this model just suck in this regard?.  I would appreciate any (helpful suggestions.  Thank you.

Start by pushing on the corners of the I/O shield, you do have to use some force to get it to seat correctly, then just push down all around the edge of the shield to make sure it's fully seated.

Several differen't board manufacturer's have integrated IO shields, not just MSI, keep that in mind.

I don't know that i've ever had issue installing an IO shield as you have. It's possible that your chassis had some tolerance issues (by DIY do you mean DIYPC? - if so they aren't exactly a leading manufacturer). It's usually just a reasonable amount of force on two sides and it pops right in.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

1 minute ago, Semper said:

Several differen't board manufacturer's have integrated IO shields, not just MSI, keep that in mind.

I don't know that i've ever had issue installing an IO shield as you have. It's possible that your chassis had some tolerance issues (by DIY do you mean DIYPC? - if so they aren't exactly a leading manufacturer). It's usually just a reasonable amount of force on two sides and it pops right in.

Yes I mean DIYPC.  But I've been trying to add it to a Fractal Design R6 case.  My understanding is they make much better cases (for significantly more money).  It doesn't seem to be a matter of force.  The shield just seems to push through the opening without snapping into place.  I think I may just have a defective shield since I've tried it in 2 different cases.  Then again, the defect is equally likely to be me.  

3 hours ago, Michael McChesney said:

Yes I mean DIYPC.  But I've been trying to add it to a Fractal Design R6 case.  My understanding is they make much better cases (for significantly more money).  It doesn't seem to be a matter of force.  The shield just seems to push through the opening without snapping into place.  I think I may just have a defective shield since I've tried it in 2 different cases.  Then again, the defect is equally likely to be me.  

It's possible that it's a malformed IO shield, though that would be a first for me.

I find it unlikely that the defect is you. IO shields generally have an extension, "wings" if you will around the edge that don't allow you to push the IO shield through

Spoiler

DPZiZei.jpg

If you can pardon my dusty chassis (it's been a few months since I cleaned her, and I live in a particularly dusty region of the U.S.) the image in the spoiler shows what the back side of an IO shield generally looks like. For the defect to have been you, you would have needed to apply an excessively unreasonable amount of force to it, bending the wings and allowing the IO shield to pass through the opening.

Fractal cases will be made to a higher standard, have better quality materials (thicker steel, as a very common one) and have thought put into their design, yes. I'd encourage you to seek reviews on the case(s) you're thinking of. One place that a lot of us have grown to trust is GamersNexus.

Overall a "decent" or "good enough" review from GN holds far more weight than "the greatest case ever" from someone else. For example, as much as I enjoy watching someone like Hardware Canucks (and I do encourage multiple review sources), ultimately, I find the input that Steve and his team offer is objectively more valuable. Hardware Canucks tends to be more subjective material.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

4 hours ago, Michael McChesney said:

I am pretty experienced at building PC's, and some IO shield / case combinations just don't seem to fit right.

Sometimes you just have to push really hard. But I have had instances where, no matter  how hard you push, one corner of the IO shield snaps OUT of place when another snaps in. I have actually bent/destroyed IO shields because they were so hard to fit. So it might not be your technique, but just this board / case combo.

But as others have said, you don't really need it. But if you have negative pressure in your case, not having it might cause dust entering the case from those openings.

5 hours ago, Michael McChesney said:

I think I will look into one of those MSI boards that don't use a separate shield,

They do!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

I actually used the metal IO shield as a stencil last summer to trace out an IO shield on some cardboard (I bought an empty cake box from a bakery) that I then cut out and put over the case opening.  I told my mother what I was doing and she got really upset asking "but won't that start a fire!"  I explained I probably wasn't going to overclock so I think it would be OK.  But I do have a heat related question.  If you temporarily remove a CPU cooler (for less than an hour) is it necessary to remove the old thermal paste and reapply?

I've gotten my PC reassembled in the Fractal case.  I had some trouble plugging in some cables into tight spaces and ended up having to remove my CPU cooler.  I went out to buy some rubbing alcohol to clean off the thermal paste so I could reapply it, but the best I could find was 75%.  But then I couldn't find the box with thermal paste I knew I had and put the cooler back on without removing/replacing the old paste..  I ordered more paste and alcohol swabs to clean the CPU from Amazon.  Then immediately found the missing box and cancelled the Amazon order.  A comedy or errors, I know.  My CPU temps have been fine, between 27 and 42 degrees Celsius.  Any reason I shouldn't just leave it alone?

Not exactly a trick, just make sure its the right way and it may take a bit of force