what is this 2nd mpcie slot for and what can i put in it.

Ryzenuser19

im repurposing a broken laptop. ive got it all ready to put together and then slot it into whats basically like a switch dock but its mounted on on of my screens via vesa holes which i thought was good since i can just unscrew them and use this on any screen not mounted to it stand via vesa.  if i can use this extra port to use a extermal x4 pci slot and a gpu then can you fien folks advise me on a decent card to use that wont need more than a pico psu at most. i have a single slot gtx 1050  or 1050ti lying around in it box still. the pci slot im talking about is the one with a pcb under it as the wifi one has to back which i have made sure there is a 3d printed notch that with secure the wifi once the lid is on the base.

20200305_032007.jpg

20200305_031955.jpg

specs in spoiler.

Spoiler

Motherboard

Asrock A320M

CPU 

Ryzen 5 2600X 

GPU/s

2x MSI RX580 Gaming X 8GB

RAM

channel 1 Corsair Vengence LPX  DDR4 2133MHz 2x4GB

channel 2 Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000MHz 2x4GB

Cooler

AMD Wraith Max RGB Cooler

Case

CiT Seven

Storage Internal Only.

SSD  Crucial BX500 120GB

HDD Segate ST2000L 2TB

Monitor/s         

LG UltraWide 25UM58

Acer XZ350CU 35" 21:9 Ultrawide

LG UltraWide 25UM58

Mouse

Logitech 203 Prodigy Wired

Keyboard

Logitech 213 Prodigy Wired

Perhaps a 3G card? That's what the second one is for on my sister's HP Elitebook 2760p.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Perhaps a 3G card? That's what the second one is for on my sister's HP Elitebook 2760p.

where can i get one of these that would make attaching a portable touchscreen to this a great option.

specs in spoiler.

Spoiler

Motherboard

Asrock A320M

CPU 

Ryzen 5 2600X 

GPU/s

RAM

Cooler

Case

CiT Seven

Storage Internal Only.

SSD  Crucial BX500 120GB

HDD Segate ST2000L 2TB

Monitor/s         

LG UltraWide 25UM58

LG UltraWide 25UM58

Mouse

Keyboard

14 minutes ago, Ryzenuser19 said:

where can i get one of these that would make attaching a portable touchscreen to this a great option.

I'm not sure. It really depends on the model of laptop itself. Some manufacturers (eg.HP) only allow very specific cards to be used. Generally speaking though you'll have to go through Ebay or get lucky at second hand shops/computer shops.

PMSL

@Ryzenuser19
BTW, a work around for any OEM BIOS whitelist (if the laptop has one) is to put the computer to sleep, and then install/switch the card out. Of course you'll have to remove/switch it back after shutdown but that's one way to use "non compatible" mini pcie cards.

PMSL

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

@Ryzenuser19
BTW, a work around for any OEM BIOS whitelist (if the laptop has one) is to put the computer to sleep, and then install/switch the card out. Of course you'll have to remove/switch it back after shutdown but that's one way to use "non compatible" mini pcie cards.

im actually using the wifi from my old destoyed mac mini 2,1 late 2007 model so i dont think a white list is in play. though a egpu would be better as i can possibly find a 3g wifi combo card. the laptop was a HP Pavilion 14-b110sa Sleekbook.

specs in spoiler.

Spoiler

Motherboard

Asrock A320M

CPU 

Ryzen 5 2600X 

GPU/s

RAM

Cooler

Case

CiT Seven

Storage Internal Only.

SSD  Crucial BX500 120GB

HDD Segate ST2000L 2TB

Monitor/s         

LG UltraWide 25UM58

LG UltraWide 25UM58

Mouse

Keyboard

Are you sure that's a mini pcie? mSATA uses an identical connector. Are there any markings on the solder mask nearby?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

@Ryzenuser19

I think I was wrong. Looking at the maintenance and service guide, and google, that slot might actually be mSATA, and was supposedly for cache drives up to 8GB.
image.png.1831a15bf4cf527d88ed4b9b2b5b29ed.png

4 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Are you sure that's a mini pcie? mSATA uses an identical connector. Are there any markings on the solder mask nearby?

The manual would agree with you.

PMSL

Oh the joys of the 2014-2016ish standards upheaval. SATA express, mini pcie, eSATA, mSATA, and probably more I'm forgetting. I want to punch whoever came up with their spec second and used the same connector with the same keying for a totally different purpose.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

49 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Oh the joys of the 2014-2016ish standards upheaval. SATA express, mini pcie, eSATA, mSATA, and probably more I'm forgetting. I want to punch whoever came up with their spec second and used the same connector with the same keying for a totally different purpose.

haha wow i still have my msata from my old hackintosh on ga-z77d3h using a 3770k and no gpu that ran mavericks well i can get that out and try it i guess ive just mounted it on the screen without its lid as there are some things for another day and i intend to get  egpu that i can use a pico psu with to supply power to a card that will be much better than intel hd 4000, tho ill go amd as i know i can hackintosh this thing. im planning to make a 25 inch ultrawide hackintosh so atm is mounted on a piece of wood i have been using for testing. i have usb wifi ac 5ghz thing so ima use that cause ive had it working in osx before but ill settle for elementary os if need be. good thing is screen has 2 hdmi so i can still use it as a regular screen afterwards.

any idea if a pico psu could power a hd7770 gpu?

specs in spoiler.

Spoiler

Motherboard

Asrock A320M

CPU 

Ryzen 5 2600X 

GPU/s

RAM

Cooler