Best Buy - Geek Squad - SCAM

TheTechGenius

I know this video is old, but this is still happening to people today. Most Geek Squad stores are filled with employes that know nothing about computers, and their solution to everything is "We need to Reinstall Windows and Format the Hard Drive". That is a sign that they have no idea what the problem is, and want to take the easy way out. And even then they don't even do that right, most of the time they don't even install all the drivers (If they install any drivers), and the computer runs like shit. 

Here is a video of someone going undercover to expose Geek Squad scamming customers:

Ultimate 900D Build - Build Log (In Progress) - TheTechGenius MODs

Old news. Sad to say that this is the truth, but hey, people are shady.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

Some guy on facebook was arguing with me, I recommended someone a custom built computer and made some suggestions. He came along and started calling me out, saying he worked for geek squad for 6 years. I replied with " Geek squad is the worst computer repair company out there and it is widely known that a majority of employees have no idea what they're doing. That if I were him I wouldn't go around bragging about that. Furthermore just because you have years of "experience" does NOT mean you know what you're talking about. "

He went on to start whining and saying everytime he tries to help someone this happens to him lol.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Some guy on facebook was arguing with me, I recommended someone a custom built computer and made some suggestions. He came along and started calling me out, saying he worked for geek squad for 6 years. I replied with " Geek squad is the worst computer repair company out there and it is widely known that a majority of employees have no idea what they're doing. That if I were him I wouldn't go around bragging about that. Furthermore just because you have years of "experience" does NOT mean you know what you're talking about. "

He went on to start whining and saying everytime he tries to help someone this happens to him lol.

Oh wow. LOL. But yeah, your right, he shouldn't be going around bragging that he worked for Geek Squad. Actually, that right there tells me he knows nothing about computers.  I think anyone that knows how to turn on a computer can work at geek squad. lol.

Years of experience building custom computers, is a lot different then years of experience working at Geek Squad. lol 

Ultimate 900D Build - Build Log (In Progress) - TheTechGenius MODs

@beebskadoo

are you messing with people again? :P

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Oh wow. LOL. But yeah, your right, he shouldn't be going around bragging that he worked for Geek Squad. Actually, that right there tells me he knows nothing about computers.  I think anyone that knows how to turn on a computer can work at geek squad. lol.

I wish I could remember the context of the conversation and what he said before that. I think he was suggesting a $400 laptop for someone when I told them I could build a more powerful desktop for $500, it be open for expansion and last longer. When he ran into a wall with me and I didn't back down, kept showing him how he was wrong, he started throwing a hissy fit lol

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Lol, even if it had viruses, in what way would that be relevant? The good old "mess-up-your-opticaldrive"-virus? :lol:

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.

I applied for a job at geek squad once and told them my qualifications that i took a few computer courses and passed with flying colors, built my own pc, and had repaired multiple pcs for friends and etc. i got a reply for them saying that i was over qualified for the job and went with someone more suited for the job. my question was how was i over qualified for the job when i haven't even gotten out of High school yet. yeah they aren't very smart when it comes to employing people.

My build: Cpu: (AMD Ryzen 7 1700) Heatsink: (Deepcool Captain 240 rgb) GPU: (Zotac AMP! GTX 1060 6gb) Ram: (Corsair LPX 8Gb DDR4 2400) Mobo: ( Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K&) Case: (NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal) PSU: (Lepa B550 550w) OS:  (Windows 10

I applied for a job at geek squad once and told them my qualifications that i took a few computer courses and passed with flying colors, built my own pc, and had repaired multiple pcs for friends and etc. i got a reply for them saying that i was over qualified for the job and went with someone more suited for the job. my question was how was i over qualified for the job when i haven't even gotten out of High school yet. yeah they aren't very smart when it comes to employing people.

Well it obvious you are over qualified. I mean you could probably fix problems without needing to charge $500 to wipe a hard drive and reinstall windows for EVERY problem. You could also probably save the persons data, which isn't that hard, but you got to make them feel like they have no choice, then break their bank. You obviously cannot do this with your qualifications.

What's more shocking about geek squad is that they're still in business despite 16 year olds being more competent than a majority of them.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Haha, exactly! When in reality, you should probably have at least A+ Cert or work experience.

PC: Ryzen 5 2600 // 16 GB Corsair 3200 // MSI RX 580 8 GB // 500 GB WD Blue M.2 (sata) // Silverstone Raven RVZ03B // Fedora 33

LAPTOP: i7 5700HQ // 16 GB Kingston 1866 // GTX 970M // 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 // 1 TB HDD // Windows 10

ETC: (2) Dell U2515H (2560x1440) // Corsair K63 // Logitech G603 // FiiO E10 // Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (250 ohm) // Audio Technica ATH-M60x

Here is the problem:

1- BestBuy hires people at near minimum wage for GeekSquad. No one will knowledge will actually work there, except maybe , if you are lucky, fall with a student early job that is like us, that knows a lot about computer. And I think this is what the company hopes to get.

2- The staff is trained quickly, and not properly. Leading them to miss diagnose problem, or refer to a manual which only has a handful of problems/solution

3- They are pushed to over worked. With many stores telling consumers that the work will be done by end of day, they are under staff, and leads to having 0 time in actually troubleshooting. Many work on multiple systems at the same time, which can lead to confusing on which system had what. This is also why, when you order the "optimization" package, which is claimed to remove all the junk from your system. All they do is, unless the store was not busy that day, and like I said you fell with a knowledgeable person, just delete the Start Menu/Screen and Desktop shortcuts. They are still uninstalled. but no time for that. Especially when you get your 400-700$.. it won't have an SSD, and will be slow. (not saying that things will changed even if you got that Alienware gaming computer).

4- They are pushed to sale. Clueless managers are pushing these geek squad employees to promote HDD replacements, RAM replacement/upgrade and other crap, as it's it is beneficial for the store end of the year bonus. Best Buy employees doesn't have commission, but they do have end of year bonus, especially the managers.

If you want real, quality service, look for small computer stores. Sure they look like shit, many of them. But at least you'll fall with a person that wants your business next time, might even fix your problem for free if it's silly, and be honest with you, and charge you a fair price, considering also that he has actual knowledge in the field. Sure you might get scammed.. but MIGHT is better than 99.99% with Best Buy and in fact, same for other big retailers. Consumers goes to big stores in the taught that they won't get scammed, but that is exactly the place where you'll be.

As for buying a computer at big stores to get an extended warranty. The best place to get an extended warranty, which won't be air, is with the manufacturer directly. Many allows also price negotiation of the system over the phone, even offer free upgrades just for calling, including free shipping if it's not. Why extended warranty is best with the manufacture:

-> All parts are genuine, official and certified by the company. Geek Squad... sends it to a third party, and you don't know what will happen.

-> Installation will be done correctly, with well trained staff. Geek Squad and a like, the person will probably end up with 8-12 screws in his hands after assembling everything, especially when done in store.

-> The device is actual be fixed, no cost cutting measure. For example, they are stories with big chain stores like Best Buy, where the power plug is broken, instead of replacing the system board, they'll use hot glue to hold it. This way they don't need to spend money on a system board, maximizing profit on that extended warranty you got.

-> Some companies, such as Dell, offers even on site service. Meaning, a certified, proper technician, comes at your place, at the time you want, to fix your system, in front of you. You get to make sure the job is done right, and that the problem is solved.

The only time I buy any extended warranties is with the manufacture directly. Always had superb service, making my money worth it.

(I usually get it for mobile devices, as they get carried around daily with me.)

Haha, exactly! When in reality, you should probably have at least A+ Cert or work experience.

true also i was in store when i applied right after proving the guy in charge wrong about some pc parts and tell a customer to go with a cheaper computer then the way overpriced pc they were trying to sell him. I was also politely asked to leave.

My build: Cpu: (AMD Ryzen 7 1700) Heatsink: (Deepcool Captain 240 rgb) GPU: (Zotac AMP! GTX 1060 6gb) Ram: (Corsair LPX 8Gb DDR4 2400) Mobo: ( Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K&) Case: (NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal) PSU: (Lepa B550 550w) OS:  (Windows 10