Upgrading very soon. I have concerns.

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

No. I maybe used it once long time ago. Didn't know exactly why, but I remember that was very strange system I was trying to repair/diagnose and that was one of method to eliminate potential problems.

So, as you see - it's not ironic. You assumed that I'm using DDU. You're wrong.

All kind of recommendation should be based on hard evidences. Not "some issues", but real examples with explanation. Why on dozens computers I made (and few I use every day for years) I have no stability issues, problems with bsods etc? Is it magic? Luck? No, it can't be, because computers do not work based on luck or magic. When system loads, it load current hardware configuration, check for hardware changes and if there any - installing drivers for new hardware and update current configuration. It can even restart itself when needed for proper work after drivers install at boot. Then old drivers remain inactive, because do not fit to any existing hardware. It's like having zipped program on hard drive - it takes some space, but it not autostart, not use any resources and is not used by any extension.

Is it that hard to understand? Because many people recommend something, it doesn't mean it's true. One person repeats after another and then we have crap like "reinstall system even if you change mouse" or "reinstall windows every minor problem, it's the easiest/only way".

It's always facts vs myths. As I said - I upgraded and prepared dozens of comptuers and basically almost never installed new system. My win10 has 4 or 5 years and works better than "fresh" (because I have lot of useful tools configured to make my work faster, not because it boots 2 seconds faster or something like that). If changing hardware is that sensitive, I should see ANY symptoms, anything. After all, I work over 10 hours per day using computer, so any instability or even suspicious delay is something I would noticed for sure.

lol find it funny you use alot of useful tools but only have had to use ddu once

anyone that is avid user with computers  has used amd or nvidia gpu in last 5yrs knows ddu is a useful tool

2 minutes ago, pas008 said:

lol find it funny you use alot of useful tools but only have had to use ddu once

anyone that is avid user with computers  has used amd or nvidia gpu in last 5yrs knows ddu is a useful tool

^^^ I've had to use it multiple times on my RVII with the current driver situation, and a few times on various AMD/Nvidia GPUs when they were having funky issues. It's an extremely handy tool for when your GPU drivers fuck up. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

^^^ I've had to use it multiple times on my RVII with the current driver situation, and a few times on various AMD/Nvidia GPUs when they were having funky issues. It's an extremely handy tool for when your GPU drivers fuck up. 

did installing another driver over the existing fix the issue?

8 minutes ago, pas008 said:

did installing another driver over the existing fix the issue?

I usually use DDU when rolling back to an older driver (installers usually throw a fit if you try to install an older version than what you have installed) or to clean out the driver so I can reinstall it from a clean slate. Troubleshooting step when the driver decides to be fucky, sometimes it works, sometimes I have to roll back for proper stability.

I have just used the standard upgrade utility to update to the latest drivers, which isn't a clean install, and usually that's fine. DDU is there for when it isn't. What I have not done is install AMD drivers on a rig that had an Nvidia GPU without first getting rid of the Nvidia drivers to avoid fuckups. Or vice versa, I usually DDU if I'm hopping OEMs or large generational jumps that use different driver packages. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

25 minutes ago, pas008 said:

LOL or not lol. Useful tools are useful when you need them. I needed DDU once or twice, so why I should use it more times - for fun? For sure if I'll want to remove drivers completely and made fresh install of them - I'll do that using DDU. But not because this tool is somehow needed every time. Is not. It's "clean system install" type of tool for people who always wants to made everything "clean". I'll stay a little bit dirty, little less focusing on cleaning everything for no reason (I have no obsessive-compulsive disorder) and little more focusing on using my PC for work, fun, creation, hobby etc.

7 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I usually use DDU when rolling back to an older driver (installers usually throw a fit if you try to install an older version than what you have installed) or to clean out the driver so I can reinstall it from a clean slate. Troubleshooting step when the driver decides to be fucky, sometimes it works, sometimes I have to roll back for proper stability.

I have just used the standard upgrade utility to update to the latest drivers, which isn't a clean install, and usually that's fine. DDU is there for when it isn't. What I have not done is install AMD drivers on a rig that had an Nvidia GPU without first getting rid of the Nvidia drivers to avoid fuckups. Or vice versa, I usually DDU if I'm hopping OEMs or large generational jumps that use different driver packages. 

exactly had to use them on my 5700xt 580 1080tis 1060 etc etc

no matter what i did new drivers or old drivers remaining there made things funky

same with some realtek drivers also

think this is why they added realtek to ddu also which was funny to me

also found out while ago that some games .ini(config) files need to be edited tweaked or even just erased (sometimes it gets set to read only too) if bringing to newer system

core/threads were still set to old config along with other things but if game could utilize more resources worth looking into if you arent getting that performance from a game thats from an old system install

On 3/4/2020 at 5:54 PM, pas008 said:

do you guys use ddu for your video card?

Did have to do that in the past on W7 when changing from Nvidia to ATI or the other way. But since Win10 ive not even touched that software.
And also its a completely different thing btw.
DDU is there so you dont have to reinstall the OS, a lil piece of software or an OS. Its totaly not even close to the same for me.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

28 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Did have to do that in the past on W7 when changing from Nvidia to ATI or the other way. But since Win10 ive not even touched that software.
And also its a completely different thing btw.
DDU is there so you dont have to reinstall the OS, a lil piece of software or an OS. Its totaly not even close to the same for me.

did you read whole thread?