Linus Use Opera it's like Chrome but better

f22luke

Netscape Navigator FTW

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

my chrome homepage always gets hacked .....unable to change it..even with the help of registry ...

anyone would like to help....

The old Opera was nice, while the new one is based on Chrome. Very nice if you want Chrome features without the Google integration (Enterprise for example)

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

I've been using Opera for at least 5 years and it is my favorite browser and definitely simpler and faster than Chrome, however many people still prefer Google's browser. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Iv'e used Opera back when I had to use slow PCs in middle school's IT class. It was good and was fast, but the current version sucks. The mobile version of Opera is great in terms of speed, but it has loads of problems. Back then I mostly used Firefox, but it has gotten slow and occasionally crashes my PC (even with just 1 tab open). Switched to Chrome about a year or two ago, so far been the best browser IMO. Though now the Chrome has occasionally made every tab open completely blank for no reason.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I've been using Opera for at least 5 years and it is my favorite browser and definitely simpler and faster than Chrome, however many people still prefer Google's browser.

It's not faster than Chrome though... They are the same because they are both the same browser but with different skins and pre-installed features. As far as page rendering they are exactly the same.

The whole "X browser is so fast!" is 90% placebo caused by Google's marketing campaign for Chrome. In real life (and in benchmarks like load Web page load time) they are pretty much all the same.

Well, You've made some pretty good points.

I'm going to do an Opera iSwitched for the next month.

See if it can hold up against chrome. if not I'll be going back to chrome.

Firefox is just out right broken, Chrome is getting slower and slower.

I've taken to using IE11 when I can't get something to work, Which seems to be happening more and more frequently.

Safari is just plain slow.

Hopefully it works well.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I do use Opera, I use Opera 12.16, from before Opera turned into a garbage Chrome clone.

Did I mention Chrome is garbage?

It's garbage.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I do use Opera, I use Opera 12.16, from before Opera turned into a garbage Chrome clone.

Did I mention Chrome is garbage?

It's garbage.

why

IE on a windows tablet is smooth ^^

I use Firefox though

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Just installed Opera and started trying it (Both Firefox and Waterfox have been consistently leaking memory and becoming unstable when reaching 1.3gb ram or so). So far it looks ok but the lack of an option to import bookmarks is a bit jarring, I'll take sometime to get used to it but I'm gonna give it the good old college try.

I was surprised to see your comment about Opera not importing book marks because they used to be the best at it before they switched engines.  There still seems to be a way to but it is clunky at best go under Opera>More Tools>Bookmark Importer.  I sure hope they get their act together and bring back all the features and customizations that all their old fans know and love.  If you use Google bookmarks try this extension : https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/my-google-bookmarks/?display=en

1 Timothy 1:15

I like Chrome because it's sleek and fast, but I don't use it. I get SSL errors and an "Invalid URL" on common sites that I go to. I switched to Firefox recently and it's not as fast, but it's better. I might try Opera soon just to see if it really is better than chrome.

Yes, yes, chrome

Chrome is so simple and fast. It's hard to use anything else.

good doing buy that because evrything you type in chrome keeps logged for ads and user data tracking.......  firefox with adblock plus and do not track and others is solid.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Still using opera 12.16. The new stuff they pushed out removed a load of useful features which is annoying as websites are starting to drop support for 16 calling it outdated like it's IE6 or something :P (deviantart even locks out features) It does crash a few times (the new ones are better in this case as they changed the architecture) but they are still missing features which were good in the old version.

Pretty dangerous using opera 12 after sooo long. Lol I give up on opera after they released 16. After so many good years. It was terrible. As you said alot of the great features (which made it stand apart as a browser) were excluded. I now settle for the mediocrity Firefox has to offer.

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

Still using opera 12.16. The new stuff they pushed out removed a load of useful features which is annoying as websites are starting to drop support for 16 calling it outdated like it's IE6 or something :P (deviantart even locks out features) It does crash a few times (the new ones are better in this case as they changed the architecture) but they are still missing features which were good in the old version.

Pretty dangerous using opera 12 after sooo long. Lol I give up on opera after they released 16. After so many good years. It was terrible. As you said alot of the great features (which made it stand apart as a browser) were excluded. I now settle for the mediocrity Firefox has to offer.

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

Soo I'm 6 days into switching to Opera, Yesterday Opera installed an update and flat out broke YouTube. So Back to chrome for youtube but I'm trying to stick with opera but moving tabs from one screen to another with opera is TERRIBLE. I don't think I'll be permanently switching unless they fix at least these 2 things. But besides that it seems fairly solid. I do prefer chrome s GUI as well. Although the extension manager for opera actually works properly. So much better than how chrome's extension manager.

At this stage do I recommend people switching from Firefox or Chrome to opera...

No.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Soo I'm 6 days into switching to Opera, Yesterday Opera installed an update and flat out broke YouTube. So Back to chrome for youtube but I'm trying to stick with opera but moving tabs from one screen to another with opera is TERRIBLE. I don't think I'll be permanently switching unless they fix at least these 2 things. But besides that it seems fairly solid. I do prefer chrome s GUI as well. Although the extension manager for opera actually works properly. So much better than how chrome's extension manager.

At this stage do I recommend people switching from Firefox or Chrome to opera...

No.

I'm getting a problem with youtube as well.  Every time I try to comment a blank pop up appears for a second and then goes away.  It could be a new setting so I will look in to a possible fix; is that the same problem you are having?

What about tab movement do you not like.  For me it's as simple as click and drag.  

1 Timothy 1:15

"IE lol".. really?

Netscape. 

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

The number of people who voted for IE is appalling. Chrome or Firefox are far better. (Opera too.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

I'm getting a problem with youtube as well.  Every time I try to comment a blank pop up appears for a second and then goes away.  It could be a new setting so I will look in to a possible fix; is that the same problem you are having?

What about tab movement do you not like.  For me it's as simple as click and drag.  

Do you have multiple monitors? I can't see it being an issue with a single screen. If you have multiple monitors, Try moving tabs from one screen to another in chrome, then with opera you'll see what I mean.

I'm getting lots of issues with youtube. Some videos won't play at all, No videos have quality options, If I click on a video it plays the same one I watched before, Comments don't work... etc.

Spoiler

Being a time travelling turkey I have many occupations. I use all of the listed browsers and more for the purpose of web development. I am currently typing tis in the Opera broswer but also have chrome and firefox open

-Turkey with a vengeance