B450 Pro 4 Bios Update

My current BIOS version is P3.50, 2019/7/25. I wanna upgrade my CPU to R5 3600 (currently using R3 2200G), should I be okay or should I update my BIOS to P3.90? Because it says "*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system." in the P3.90's description.

http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450 Pro4/#BIOS

It doesn't appear that your current BIOS supports the 3600, so you will need to flash it.

2200G is natively supported by the B450 chipset, so you should be fine as far as flashing it goes.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Your current BIOS version does support the 3600 (looks like support was added in 3.20), so I would suggest waiting until after you install the 3600 to update the BIOS.

Listen to Crunchy Dragon instead.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just install the 3600 with the current BIOS. It probably won't have any problems so you may not want to update the BIOS if things are working fine. I'm unclear if ASRock BIOS can be flashed back to previous version or not when I see the way they have instructions.

Back in December I upgraded to BIOS to 3.90 while I still had a 2700X (Pinacle Ridge) installed for a week working fine, but upgraded to a 3900X. My guess is 3.90 works for 2nd and 3rd Gen Ryzens. I only took the risk of updating BIOS, because the RBG controls was no longer working after a Windows update or when I power on the computer the next day.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It doesn't appear that your current BIOS supports the 3600, so you will need to flash it.

https://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?iD=4238

Here it says B450 Pro 4 only need P3.20 to support Zen 2 CPUs, therefore P3.50 also supports Zen 2 CPUs. May I know why do you think that my current BIOS doesn't support the 3600?

10 hours ago, Dreadnought said:

https://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?iD=4238

Here it says B450 Pro 4 only need P3.20 to support Zen 2 CPUs, therefore P3.50 also supports Zen 2 CPUs. May I know why do you think that my current BIOS doesn't support the 3600?

Didn't read it closely enough. You're probably fine then.

Like I said, if for some reason it doesn't work, you already have a CPU available to flash it with.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

• 3 months later...
On 3/3/2020 at 11:58 AM, Dreadnought said:

My current BIOS version is P3.50, 2019/7/25. I wanna upgrade my CPU to R5 3600 (currently using R3 2200G), should I be okay or should I update my BIOS to P3.90? Because it says "*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system." in the P3.90's description.

http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450 Pro4/#BIOS

Just wondering how did you go, did you need to update the BIOS?

I've just ordered a ASRock B450 Pro4 and a Ryzen 5 3600 myself, despite requesting the store check the bios was compatible and to update if necessary they didn't. So can I ask if you had success with the P3.50 bios, did that bios version come installed on your board from the factory or did you personally upgrade them to that version yourself?

I've tried doing some searches online to see if companies like ASRock update their hardware on the production line or if they just stick with the original bios and leave it to the user to update. Not had much success.

Just trying to find out if I'll need to track down a local store for assistance with a bios update or not before I start putting things together just to find out if it'll post or not.
Does anyone know if these boards have the factory bios version stamped on them somewhere?