Need Opinions on Friend Build

BrygonSan

Hey everyone, 

My buddy is going to be building a pc in the upcoming month and asked me to help them put one together. They want an AMD build and this is what I was able to come up with. Can you give me any opinions on the build? They will be gaming on his 4k tv at the beginning and then eventually get a monitor. They would like to be able to play cyberpunk at high settings when it comes out. The budget they set is $1,000 and will be upgrading parts down the road. I want them to get a 2060 Super but I'd have to trim cost somewhere. 

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor 

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB DDR4-3200

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB 7200 RPM 

GPU: EVGA GeFroce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB SC Ultra 

Power Supply: Corsair RM 750 W 80+ Gold  

Total Price: $1012.92

Thank you for your help! 

Capture.PNG

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz Quad-Core Processor CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Motherboard: Asus Z170-Deluxe ATX LGA1151 Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8 GB) DDR4-3200 Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2-2280 NVME & 1TB HDD GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB PSU: Corsair RMi 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Monitor: Dell AW3418DW 34.1" Ultrawide Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 ATX Mid Tower

If this is a gaming PC, the 970 evo is way too expensive. You can get a Crucial P1, an intel 660p, a sabrent rocket, or a WD blue and they'd all deliver the same experience as that 970 evo since you're not handling huge files. The PSU can also be cheaper, opt for a TX550M or RM550X. That'll still give you a ton of room to upgrade in the future and the power supplies are of great quality.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

- Settle with a decent b450 motherboard instead of the x470.

- 750W is a bit too much for that bump it down to a good 550W psu.

- Ditch the Samsung Evo for something like a Crucial or WD Blue.

- Use the extra money you've saved to get an RTX 2060 if your budget still fits.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

5700XT will perform a bit better than the 2060 Super - if you prefer 2060 Super, that's fine. Same price basically :)

Edited by ShinRamen
GPU remark

10 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

If this is a gaming PC, the 970 evo is way too expensive. You can get a Crucial P1, an intel 660p, a sabrent rocket, or a WD blue and they'd all deliver the same experience as that 970 evo since you're not handling huge files. The PSU can also be cheaper, opt for a TX550M or RM550X. That'll still give you a ton of room to upgrade in the future and the power supplies are of great quality.

Cool thanks! Just changed it up in our details list and it's cheaper now. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz Quad-Core Processor CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Motherboard: Asus Z170-Deluxe ATX LGA1151 Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8 GB) DDR4-3200 Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2-2280 NVME & 1TB HDD GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB PSU: Corsair RMi 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Monitor: Dell AW3418DW 34.1" Ultrawide Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 ATX Mid Tower

8 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

7 minutes ago, ShinRamen said:

This is a good build for a 2060S build! I will go ahead and send him over these two builds! Thank you! Question, what is this whole deal about updating the BIOS for motherboard inorder for the AMD CPU to work? Is that something we have consider? 

Just now, BrygonSan said:

This is a good build for a 2060S build! I will go ahead and send him over these two builds! Thank you! Question, what is this whole deal about updating the BIOS for motherboard inorder for the AMD CPU to work? Is that something we have consider? 

No, both motherboard we suggested support Ryzen 3 out of the box. The MSI MAX were release after Ryzen 3, that's why. 

Boggy's build uses an mATX motherboard and case, so those are a smaller form factor. If he wants to play on his TV (in the living room?) he might prefer a smaller build. Just so you know!

5 minutes ago, ShinRamen said:

No, both motherboard we suggested support Ryzen 3 out of the box. The MSI MAX were release after Ryzen 3, that's why. 

Boggy's build uses an mATX motherboard and case, so those are a smaller form factor. If he wants to play on his TV (in the living room?) he might prefer a smaller build. Just so you know!

Perfect, that was my only worry. I wanted him to have the smoothest installation process as possible. 

He will actually be gaming in his bedroom, So size shouldn't matter? lol. He wanted a nice big case with RGB (Corsair) but it was out of his budget. I told him down the road he can upgrade it.

1 minute ago, BrygonSan said:

Perfect, that was my only worry. I wanted him to have the smoothest installation process as possible. 

He will actually be gaming in his bedroom, So size shouldn't matter? lol. He wanted a nice big case with RGB (Corsair) but it was out of his budget. I told him down the road he can upgrade it.

he can get rgb case fans for cheap

3 minutes ago, BrygonSan said:

Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow

Corsair 275R Airflow

These two won't break the bank. Throw in some nice RGB fans in the future and he's good to go!

14 minutes ago, BrygonSan said:

The MSI B450 boards with the "MAX" at the end is already compatible with 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box. You won't need to update the bios.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

8 minutes ago, ShinRamen said:

Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow

Corsair 275R Airflow

These two won't break the bank. Throw in some nice RGB fans in the future and he's good to go!

Hey thanks for those recommendations. I really like the Corsair 275R Airflow but I'll show them of these

6 minutes ago, Xiee said:

The MSI B450 boards with the "MAX" at the end is already compatible with 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box. You won't need to update the bios.

Ahh ok even better. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Ignore this 

Edited by BrygonSan