Formatting an SSD from my old laptop

MercyyJaiWolf

Hello, so I recently bought an HP Omen, partially to use for school and part of it for gaming (of course). I had an older ASUS that had a WD 500GB in it that which has a broken screen from an accident it was involved in. I took the "Old" WD out and put into my new laptops extra bay. I am actually wanting to format this drive so I can use it for extra storage as currently it doesn't like me saving anything in it at all, So far however my attempts have been met with heavy resistance by the HP laptop, thought it came with a 256GB M.2 (fun surprise there for me) and is booting from the M.2 it is refusing to allow me to format my Western Digital informing me that it is in use and that I need to quit all disk utilities and other programs before trying again.

When I attempt to "clean" it from within Command Prompt/Powershell, it outright refuses telling me that "clean is not allowed on the disk containing current boot, system,pagerfile, crashdump or hibernation volume, ive even gone as far as turning off the laptop, disconnecting the troublemaker, boot the laptop back up and then plug in the drive, however when I do that it doesn't want to read the drive, so I am at a loss of what I can do here if there is anything at all and so i'm just looking for thought, feedback, maybe i missed something? any insight would be appreciated, if theres nothing I can do about it for now then I guess it is what it is but I want to try all avenues first before I just give it up

18 minutes ago, MercyyJaiWolf said:

When I attempt to "clean" it from within Command Prompt/Powershell, it outright refuses telling me that "clean is not allowed on the disk containing current boot, system,pagerfile, crashdump or hibernation volume, ive even gone as far as turning off the laptop, disconnecting the troublemaker, boot the laptop back up and then plug in the drive, however when I do that it doesn't want to read the drive, so I am at a loss of what I can do here if there is anything at all and so i'm just looking for thought, feedback, maybe i missed something? any insight would be appreciated, if theres nothing I can do about it for now then I guess it is what it is but I want to try all avenues first before I just give it up

You could try booting into a Windows Installation USB to format the drive that way, you don't have to reinstall Windows, just to get to the screen where it allows you to format your drives, then it wouldn't be in use because you're booting from a USB

Make sure to backup any data you have before doing this, you might never know if you might mess something up, or it's advised to just take out the M.2 so it won't be affected.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.