how to install and use linux

hello I just wanted to hear how to use Linux and where can I go to install the program since I heard it is free operating sytem and wanted to use it to give an old laptop that I have a new operating system since I do not want to buy a windows lisenes.

There are a lot of different distros out there that are good for some computers and not for others. Ubuntu is really good, but only if you have a good amount of ram. I have a computer with 4 gbs of ram only and it's very old(more than 10years old) and for me, ubuntu is not a good distro... I tested many distro in those almost 2 years of linux and the best for me was and still is lubuntu. Lubuntu is a lightweight system and is recommended for old computers. The downside is the you may not like the look of it, but as most linux system, you can customize it. There are other distros the are made for old computers, just search for 'lightweight distro' on google and you will find loads of them. The installation is usually very easy this days and they are very similar to each other. If you learn how to install ubuntu, you will know how to do it loads of other without have to search. You can find loads of tutorial on how to install almost every linux distro on youtube. Here is my lubuntu system after a few customizations:

2020-03-01-075558_1360x768_scrot.png

Ubuntu isn't my cup of tea either personally, but I guess not everyone can just jump straight into something like Arch or Gentoo. I guess Manjaro has an Arch like experience without the hassle of going through the manual installation in the terminal, but I find it satisfying to start off in a terminal and then manage to get a GUI up and running.

I like Debian, which itself would be lighter than Ubuntu (which is based on Debian), but it's probably still not as simple to work with for someone that's new to Linux. There is a Debian based Mint distro (instead of Ubuntu based), but I haven't actually tried it out yet.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

OpenSuse is worth looking at aswell in fact any mainstream distro (including arch ) will do you fine just google.  if your into a functional declaritive stuff take a look at https://nixos.org/nixos/ although this isn’t exactly mainstream 

I’m waiting on some parts for a new build that will be running solus 4.1 been tinkering with in on flash stick and enjoying it. Downloaded the iso from the site, and used balena etcher to install it and make the usb stick bootable.