GPU not clicking into place?

Go to solution Solved by Bartholomew,
4 minutes ago, ShadowSuave said:

Yeah, it slides past the mobo, I actually wasn't aware of the holes on the other side(thanks for pointing that out) but it seems that they're also in place. Not sure exactly what's stopping this from clicking in ? does it look unlocked in the pic?

I cant tell,  its hard to see and am not fammiliar with the exact boards latch type (theres variations of those).

Thus "U" tiny cutout on the card does seem to have 1 or 2mm spare room to go down, but again not sure.

With the card out can you move the latch by hand (if not, or if it just falls flat again) it might be the latch at fault?

Or, (and do double check the card is straight) its just a tight slot and the card needs a gentle last push for it to close - however: proceed wjth caution; if your not a experiencend builder and not sure how much is gentle and how much is abnormal then dont try that ;)

Started my first build, but I'm having trouble with the gpu. It doesnt want to click into place, everything seems to be seated correctly and it slid in, but it doesnt click in and I'm able to just pull it back out

I uploaded a pic to show what I'm looking at lol it looks like it's in, but I can't tell if the lock is engaged. I shouldn't be able to just pull it out right?

Mobo: msi x570 gaming edge wifi

GPU: msi rtx 2070 super

Case: gamdias talos p1a

20200229_122404.jpg

19 minutes ago, ShadowSuave said:

It doesnt want to click into place, everything seems to be seated correctly and it slid in, but it doesnt click in and I'm able to just pull it back out

Did you open the lock on the PCIe slot or did you just stick the GPU in?

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

28 minutes ago, ShadowSuave said:

Started my first build, but I'm having trouble with the gpu. It doesnt want to click into place, everything seems to be seated correctly and it slid in, but it doesnt click in and I'm able to just pull it back out

I uploaded a pic to show what I'm looking at lol it looks like it's in, but I can't tell if the lock is engaged. I shouldn't be able to just pull it out right?

Mobo: msi x570 gaming edge wifi

GPU: msi rtx 2070 super

Case: gamdias talos p1a

Ive had this more than once; your situation might be different but maybe this info help:

In my cases it was about the other side that you would think (not about where the pcie slot latch is but the side that has the bracket that screws to the case).

That bracket on the bottom side (opposite to the screws) have (one for each slot cover) projections that need to do 2 things when putting the card in:

1. Get past the motherboard PCB

2. (Next) slide into the holes of the case intended to receive them

Step 1 can require to move the card down with the card titled slightly 1 way to get the things past the mobo; once past it can require a bit of "searching" to get them (whike keeping card straight as possible) into place.

### all of it gently, no force required, if feeling resistance, "thats not it" and try again ###

If the far end is ok, the latch side usually closes by itself without issue.

Have seen this most on cheaper cases, where tolerances for pcie bracket slots and mobo standoffs are bigger.

6 minutes ago, Bartholomew said:

Ive had this more than once; your situation might be different but maybe this info help:

In my cases it was about the other side that you would think (not about where the pcie slot latch is but the side that has the bracket that screws to the case).

That bracket on the bottom side (opposite to the screws) have (one for each slot cover) projections that need to do 2 things when putting the card in:

1. Get past the motherboard PCB

2. (Next) slide into the holes of the case intended to receive them

Step 1 can require to move the card down with the card titled slightly 1 way to get the things past the mobo; once past it can require a bit of "searching" to get them (whike keeping card straight as possible) into place.

### all of it gently, no force required, if feeling resistance, "thats not it" and try again ###

If the far end is ok, the latch side usually closes by itself without issue.

Have seen this most on cheaper cases, where tolerances for pcie bracket slots and mobo standoffs are bigger.

Yeah, it slides past the mobo, I actually wasn't aware of the holes on the other side(thanks for pointing that out) but it seems that they're also in place. Not sure exactly what's stopping this from clicking in ? does it look unlocked in the pic?

Make sure you've opened the PCI-E lock before putting the card in, it should lock back into place when the card is inserted into the slot. Also, the actual click you hear will vary in terms of how loud it is from board to board.

But hey if there's something wrong with the actual slot on the motherboard, it probably wouldn't be that bad of a thing if you were to replace it, as MSI's low to mid range X570 motherboards, including the Gaming Edge you have, are pretty much crap in terms of VRM, to put it nicely. Don't get me wrong, not everyone is aware of this fault with their X570 boards, so it can happen. Again, if you have the option, something like a TUF X570-PLUS from ASUS would be a much superior choice, unless you plan on just using a 65W CPU with it forever.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

4 minutes ago, ShadowSuave said:

I cant tell,  its hard to see and am not fammiliar with the exact boards latch type (theres variations of those).

Thus "U" tiny cutout on the card does seem to have 1 or 2mm spare room to go down, but again not sure.

With the card out can you move the latch by hand (if not, or if it just falls flat again) it might be the latch at fault?

Or, (and do double check the card is straight) its just a tight slot and the card needs a gentle last push for it to close - however: proceed wjth caution; if your not a experiencend builder and not sure how much is gentle and how much is abnormal then dont try that ;)

1 hour ago, Bartholomew said:

I put slight pressure on the lock and it clicked closed, so maybe just a stubborn lock? lol but I plugged it all up and it posted fine, so I'm guessing everything should be okay. Thanks for the help everyone! ?

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem, my gpu (Gigabyte Rx 6800 XT) wont click in the motherboard's PCIe slot, doesnt matter how hard i push it, i have a corsair 5000d airflow case if that matters. Can anyone help me? Is it a motherboard problem? Do I need to buy a new one? (Would be the worse option because this one wasnt that cheap) if so which one would anyone reccomend? I would prefer a motherboard with 2 m2. Ssd slot since i have two 1tb ones.