Looking for the most effective fps imaging headphones

dbizzle88

Hi all, I'm looking for a very specific headphone for competitive Call of duty Modern Warfare Remastered (basically COD4) on the ps4

I am only interested in sound whoring - being able to identify enemy footsteps and the direction they are coming from with the most accuracy. I already have headphones for music / movies, so the fun aspect of the headphone doesn't matter. 

From my research, I think that a headphone with excellent imaging is what I'm after. Perhaps even a smaller soundstage is beneficial, as I'm mainly looking for sound cues of enemies in a close proximity. Sounds from a long distance across the map aren't of huge importance. I may have got this wrong though, regarding a smaller soundstage. 

My budget for the headphones are 300$ and here are the ones I've identified 

AKG K612: It seems these have better imaging that the K701/k702 and are quite highly recommended for sound whoring. These appear difficult to drive 

AD700x: these are recommended as #1 in a lot of places, but I have read these have worst imaging but a larger soundstage. Maybe the large sound stage is not ideal for a game like cod 4?

Sennheiser HD58X: I saw these recommended earlier in the thread as best bang for buck 

Beyerdynamic DT990: supposedly amazing imaging, small soundstage but good for competitive fps  

Sennheiser HD599: 

Fostex T50RP: seen a member of another forum raving about these. Semi closed, incredible imaging but small soundstage. Perhaps ideal for what I'm after? Very difficult to drive 

I believe there are other factors that should be looked at such as treble, bass, etc that tends to have an impact on hearing footsteps, but I'm a big clueless on that 

I'm sorry if there are any inaccuracies in what I've posted. I'm hoping someone more experienced could lead me in the right direction. I'm aware I may need a dac amp, and will address that once I've chosen the ideal headphone. 

Summary: I'm looking for a headphone for sound whoring footsteps on cod mwr and will be using them only for this.

Thanks in advance :) !

5 minutes ago, ShearMe said:

There's no clear consensus. You're just going to have to buy them all and test for yourself. ?

Oh god ??

Well i currently have the k612 and ad700x to test. Have actually found the k612 more suited for my purposes, but need a better dac amp for higher volume. 

Upon a bit of further research it appears what I'm looking for is:

• Best possible imaging and separation 
  • Decent soundstage but not HUGE 
  • Not bass heavy (reduce explosions sounds) 
  • Good mid / mid tones (for footsteps) 
  • Good treble (for reload animations of nearby enemies, and some footeteps) 

I've been reading that HD660s are basically the end game, but too expensive. The HD58X apparently sound almost the same and are much cheaper. Maybe that's #1 on my list, however as I'm based in UK, the shipping from USA is not ideal. 

Hopefully some more experienced members may be able to recommend me some headphones. I hope I'm on the right track at least! 

• 1 year later...

The best imaging headphones I have ever owned is the LCD-X by Audeze. I mainly play FPS games. Mostly search and destroy. I also enjoy the DT 1990s.