ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming - Failure to POST

Hey guys,

Hopefully someone can share their opinion with me on an issue im having with my new build. Full specs below.

What's happening is, when I populate the 3rd and/or 4th DIMM slot on my motherboard with a RAM module, the board fails to post. The system turns on, then off, then on and does this for a short time, then the DRAM LED on my motherboard remains lit. The system remains powered on, however it doesn't POST.

Currently I have the system posting and booting up successfully with RAM installed in the 1st and 2nd DIMM slots. Obviously this means it's only running in single channel however the system does appear to be stable. On this board you use slots 2 and 4 for dual channel operation when only using two sticks of RAM, but this fails to POST due to the problematic 4th slot.Currently, the only way to POST successfully is to populate slots 1 and 2 (or just 1 or just 2).

I have read this can be a sign of bent pins on the CPU socket, so I went ahead and removed my cooler to double check, but there are definitely no bent pins. I took great care installing the CPU (this isnt my first build) so I would have been surprised if I had bent the pins.

I have 4 8GB sticks of Corsair Dominator RGB RAM, and no matter which ones I use, the result is the same. Is it possible I have a faulty motherboard? The RAM is running with the correct XMP2 profile in the BIOS. I also made sure to update to the latest BIOS.

I would welcome any thoughts on this issue, and please let me know if I need to supply any more information.

Thanks!

Main Specs

ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming (updated to latest BIOS)

I7 9700k (not overclocked)

32GB Corsair Dominator 3200 RGB RAM

Corsaid Hydro H150I Pro RGB

NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB

Corsair HX750i PSU

when you boot the computer you see diagnostic LED's turning on and off above the 24 pin powerconnector. what colour does it stop or cycle on when you have all 4 installed?

sorry.. didn't read it all :D .. RAM LED was on, does it work if you swap to the other set of ram sticks in the slots that work?  if they work all the ram is good, you have to check if any of the dimm pins are bent or out of shape. if all pins looks good on both cpu and dimms. you could test the cpu, what cooler do you have on it? it could also happen if the cpu is tightened too much or your cooler nuts have different torq. 

55 minutes ago, Robchil said:

when you boot the computer you see diagnostic LED's turning on and off above the 24 pin powerconnector. what colour does it stop or cycle on when you have all 4 installed?

sorry.. didn't read it all :D .. RAM LED was on, does it work if you swap to the other set of ram sticks in the slots that work?  if they work all the ram is good, you have to check if any of the dimm pins are bent or out of shape. if all pins looks good on both cpu and dimms. you could test the cpu, what cooler do you have on it? it could also happen if the cpu is tightened too much or your cooler nuts have different torq. 

Yep all of the RAM sticks work in slots 1 and 2, while none of them work in the other slots. I have shined a bright LED light into the DIMM slots and everything seems normal. How would you go about testing the CPU? I'm using the H150i Pro AIO from Corsair. I had a little trouble with the backplate they shipped, as when it was fully tightened, it was still loose. A quick Google search shows others with this same issue, so I was far from impressed with Corsair for that. I had to get some rubber washers in order to make the backplate tight. 

I made sure to torque each of the 4 screws equally, and the backplate doesn't appear to be sqewed in any direction, or tighter on one side than the other.

41 minutes ago, LiquidGamer said:

Yep all of the RAM sticks work in slots 1 and 2, while none of them work in the other slots. I have shined a bright LED light into the DIMM slots and everything seems normal. How would you go about testing the CPU? I'm using the H150i Pro AIO from Corsair. I had a little trouble with the backplate they shipped, as when it was fully tightened, it was still loose. A quick Google search shows others with this same issue, so I was far from impressed with Corsair for that. I had to get some rubber washers in order to make the backplate tight. 

I made sure to torque each of the 4 screws equally, and the backplate doesn't appear to be sqewed in any direction, or tighter on one side than the other.

Sounds like you checked what you can, unless you have another cpu that fits handy, i would just RMA the board, so the vendor can test it, if it turns out ok, it's the cpu. 

53 minutes ago, Robchil said:

Sounds like you checked what you can, unless you have another cpu that fits handy, i would just RMA the board, so the vendor can test it, if it turns out ok, it's the cpu. 

Thanks for your help.