In regards to the Nintendo switch mod YouTube vid

PhenixFel

Hello, I would like to know that if I get my hands on a already modified Nintendo switch...can it get re-modded the way I want it?

In what way do you want to mod it?

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I would like to do exactly the same as was done to linus's switch haha. Ya know, like from the most latest linus tech tips vid about the switch?

In that case, yeah. You can reset a previously modded system back to stock and do what you wish.

That said, just keep in mind that the one you're buying has a high likelihood of having a hardware ban from Nintendo. And if it doesn't, modding it yourself runs the same risk.

Either way I already have a main switch, i just wanted a side switch that can let me play games from other consoles. Can you let me know if there is a certain specific firmware I need so that the mod works? Or if it can rolled back to the firmware needed?

3 minutes ago, PhenixFel said:

Either way I already have a main switch, i just wanted a side switch that can let me play games from other consoles. Can you let me know if there is a certain specific firmware I need so that the mod works? Or if it can rolled back to the firmware needed?

AFAIK all firmware versions are vulnerable as long as you have the original Switch revision. Make sure it's not the newer model by checking the model number on the bottom. If it has "(-01)" at the end, that's the newer model that isn't vulnerable to the hardware exploit.

Hmm interesting I like that. I do notice my personal main switch doesn't haha. That gets me thinking I should buy a new one and mod this one. Haha

19 hours ago, PhenixFel said:

as stated on the video you're refering to, it's a hardware limitation, not a software or firmware issue, meaning that any switch with the older hardware revision will do, no matter if it's updated or not.

I would recommend this post on the /r/SwitchHack if you are seriously considering modding/hacking your switch. It's got some great info on how to determine if you can actually hack your current switch and what are able to do once you hack it, they also have Q&A threads if you have additional questions.