Does my mobo support this SSD?

Go to solution Solved by minibois,
Just now, DaveCad919 said:

I have a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, AM4, 3.6GHz, 8-core, is it compatible?

Then the SSD will work with that board.

Keep in mind the motherboard will need a BIOS update to work with that CPU. You can either request a boot kit from AMD or have a shop update it.

Alternatively you could look into a board that will work out of the box.

Are you buying this board new or second hand?>

Hello, I'm building a new rig for my son and was wondering whether I should get a M.2 NVMe SSD or not. The speeds are really attractive, but I'm not sure if the motherboard supports it.

So my question is does the motherboard support the one I was thinking of getting from my laptop?

Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-Pro, am4 with the latest bios.

Nvme SSD: Toshiba KXG50ZNV256G NVMe (256G, promises a speed of 3000mb/s)

Kind regards,

Dave

It will. Looking at the motherboard, I see an NVMe drive slot.

I build computers and networks. Fibre Optic is my only dream imaginable. 

Studying for my CompTIA A+ and my CCNA, if you have any tips, let me know please!

Main PC: i5 8400, Saphire RX 570 4GB, ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming, 32GB 3200MHz Patriot Viper RAM, 256GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 550W Evga PSU.

Home Server: 2x Xeon e5410, 64GB DDR2 ECC

8 minutes ago, DaveCad919 said:

Hello, I'm building a new rig for my son and was wondering whether I should get a M.2 NVMe SSD or not. The speeds are really attractive, but I'm not sure if the motherboard supports it.

So my question is does the motherboard support the one I was thinking of getting from my laptop?

Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-Pro, am4 with the latest bios.

Nvme SSD: Toshiba KXG50ZNV256G NVMe (256G, promises a speed of 3000mb/s)

Kind regards,

Dave

Depends on what CPU you are using.

It will work with any CPU that has the name 'Ryzen' in front of it.

If you are using a CPU that doesn't say 'Ryzen' in front of it (like Athlon or A8) then it will not work.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

If it is a Ryzen CPU. That is NOT the 2200G, 2400G, 3200G or 3400G then yes it works.

If you are using one of those CPU's listed above, it is NOT compatible.

Yep.

I build computers and networks. Fibre Optic is my only dream imaginable. 

Studying for my CompTIA A+ and my CCNA, if you have any tips, let me know please!

Main PC: i5 8400, Saphire RX 570 4GB, ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming, 32GB 3200MHz Patriot Viper RAM, 256GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 550W Evga PSU.

Home Server: 2x Xeon e5410, 64GB DDR2 ECC

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

It will work with most Ryzen CPU's.

If you are using the 2200G, 2400G, 3200G or 3400G, it will not work. If you are using a CPU that doesn't say 'Ryzen' in front of it (like Athlon or A8) then it will not work.

Interesting

Then the SSD will work with that board.

Keep in mind the motherboard will need a BIOS update to work with that CPU. You can either request a boot kit from AMD or have a shop update it.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

seems to be covered

11 minutes ago, DaveCad919 said:

Asus Prime X370-Pro, am4 with the latest bios.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, DieHardPC said:

Interesting

Yea, it's kind of annoying how PCIE support depends on the sort of CPU you have. So annoying, I even read it wrong (the above statement of it working with a 3700X still stands though).

1289071779_Annotation2020-02-26210608.thumb.png.8496b81068a35ff0243fcc37dd1a4db6.png

Any CPU that says 'Ryzen' will support this SSD. Any that does NOT say 'Ryzen' (like Athlon or A10) won't work. 

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yea, it's kind of annoying how PCIE support depends on the sort of CPU you have. So annoying, I even read it wrong (the above statement of it working with a 3700X still stands though).

Lightning fast APU builds on the cheap are out the window then