I have a suggestion for Sony?

Moro59

Why Sony doesn't put the choice for users to upgrade certain components in ps5 like the graphics card or the memory you know what I mean 

I mean that playstation has gone far away from being a device its a platform now so the device having the platform doesnt  matter anymore.

1 minute ago, Moro59 said:

Why Sony doesn't put the choice for users to upgrade certain components in ps5 like the graphics card or the memory you know what I mean 

I mean that playstation has gone far away from being a device its a platform now so the device having the platform doesnt  matter anymore.

Because consumers don't like hearing they got the poor-man's version of a device.

They want the Playstation. Not the Playstation that can't play all the games right because they got the cheaper version.

That is why things like the PS4 Pro didn't come out at the start and why it didn't mean PS4 original owners couldn't play all games.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

35 minutes ago, Moro59 said:

I don't think that will be cost effective. The current XBOX and PS consoles may be computers but use custom parts. A console requires years to be developed and tested, this to be able to maintain some performance level for years without replacing any components. In the end, it does not make sense from a business perspective.

So many reasons:

1. Having more than a few combinations of hardware defeats the whole point of a console as developers can no longer optimise to a set hardware spec.
  2. The CPU and GPU are a single chip with unified RAM of a type you can't buy on a DIMM package.  A lot of design goes into balancing the CPU and GPU access to the RAM so they do not excessively bottleneck each other.  Changing either, upsets this balance and the hardware is literally cutting-edge this time so not much scope going forward anyway.
  3. How would you cool a better chip if the entire cooling system is designed with tight tolerances for what it comes with? (again, to save money)
  4. With all that in mind, you'd have to upgrade so much you're basically buying a new console anyway, so just releasing a faster model makes more sense.
  5. People who buy consoles do so because they want it to "just work".  Few people even upgrade their consoles HDD let alone anything more complex.
  6. Plus as already said, if that is something that you are interested in doing, why wouldn't you just buy/build a PC?

PC's by and large are a bit of a hack.  A huge amount of power is wasted due to the modular design.  CPU, GPU, RAM, these are all things that are actually less efficient on a PC because of the need for them to be socketed.  When you can design a motherboard with much shorter traces because the parts are soldered, it increases efficiency (less heat and power consumption) and decreases cost.

Unified memory itself is really efficient, because you don't have to constantly copy the same data from system RAM to GPU RAM.  But it can only work well because of the careful balance during design in how each component accesses that RAM.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Sony then can put thunderbolt 3 port so customers may use external graphics card to boost their experience

4 hours ago, Moro59 said:

Sony then can put thunderbolt 3 port so customers may use external graphics card to boost their experience

If they do put thunderbolt in the console then it wouldn't be for external graphics. Why? Alex listed the reason a couple posts above yours.

You advice to Sony is to stop making consoles and make a PC? That doesnt make any sense. Its not even good advice for Sony if/when they stop making hardware and just run their own games as a service option.

5 hours ago, Moro59 said:

Again makes no sense, no console developer will want to have to develop with anything but the one hardware config in mind.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

21 hours ago, Ertman said:

If they do put thunderbolt in the console then it wouldn't be for external graphics. Why? Alex listed the reason a couple posts above yours.

You advice to Sony is to stop making consoles and make a PC? That doesnt make any sense. Its not even good advice for Sony if/when they stop making hardware and just run their own games as a service option.

I think you have read about the xbox is doing they let you play your games on pc or xbox. Just a platform!! 

Sure that's MS's approach, but not Sony's...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 2/27/2020 at 3:33 AM, Moro59 said:

I think you have read about the xbox is doing they let you play your games on pc or xbox. Just a platform!! 

But what’s in it for Sony?