Best CPU for a Dedicated Multiplayer Server?

AnnaTheKitty
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
8 minutes ago, AnnaTheKitty said:

Planning on running a modded minecraft server which at max will probably be around 24 players.

the i5-8600K might be right for you then, depending on the mods

I am looking to create a build for a Minecraft server, and also possibly a Ark server too. While doing research about the best CPU for a Minecraft server, I found out about weird things with Java on how it focuses on core speed instead of the amount of cores, that is what I know so far but it might not be completely true. What is the most powerful and effective CPU for a Minecraft Server? No matter the cost or price.

2 minutes ago, AnnaTheKitty said:

No matter the cost or price.

i9=9900k

but that's impractically priced for a small server

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

i9=9900k

but that's impractically priced for a small server

Hasn't AMD took over Intel though?

5 minutes ago, AnnaTheKitty said:

Hasn't AMD took over Intel though?

not in raw single threaded

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Yes. Java for Minecraft is a very single threaded application. Really though you don't need a CPU with a clock that's super over the top unless you plan on hosting a massive number of players (100's) Any mid-range CPU will probably suffice. Not to mention overclocking is always an option unless you go the Xeon route (though some of those are overclockable).

If you want to cheat the Java application a little though you could install a hypervisor and host multiple simultaneous servers that span multiple cores. Then the single threaded performance wouldn't matter as much.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Yes. Java for Minecraft is a very single threaded application. Really though you don't need a CPU with a clock that's super over the top unless you plan on hosting a massive number of players (100's) Any mid-range CPU will probably suffice. Not to mention overclocking is always an option unless you go the Xeon route (though some of those are overclockable).

If you want to cheat the Java application a little though you could install a hypervisor and host multiple simultaneous servers that span multiple cores. Then the single threaded performance wouldn't matter as much.

Planning on running a modded minecraft server which at max will probably be around 24 players.

8 minutes ago, AnnaTheKitty said:

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Would it be better to get a i5-9400? I am also planning to run a Ark server, but not likely to be running on the same time.

46 minutes ago, AnnaTheKitty said:

Would it be better to get a i5-9400? I am also planning to run a Ark server, but not likely to be running on the same time.

Might be. Only 24 players isn't really a ton

Although due to the slowish clock speeds of the i5 9400, it's worth comparing price wise to the Ryzen 5 3600, since they'll have almost the same single threaded performance, but the Ryzen CPU will have a ton more threads in case you expand the needs of the server.

Primary PC:

On 2/24/2020 at 8:51 PM, Windows7ge said:

Unless you're scicraft and run quarries an i9 9900k basically isnt needed

5 minutes ago, Killing-time-itself said:

Unless you're scicraft and run quarries an i9 9900k basically isnt needed

I get the feeling your intention was to quote Fasauceome.

• 10 months later...
On 2/24/2020 at 7:50 PM, Fasauceome said:

not in raw single threaded

That's false. the Ryzen 9 5950X destroys the i9-9900k in every way.

1 hour ago, HighFructose said:

That's false. the Ryzen 9 5950X destroys the i9-9900k in every way.

I posted this before the 5950X existed in the market. Please check the dates of content before you post, there's a reason for the big orange message that says a topic is old.

As you can plainly see, we are talking about third gen ryzen CPUs vs 9th gen intel CPUs. In this topic. 10th gen intel and 5th gen ryzen were nowhere to be seen.

Primary PC: