MOBO for 3600???

Hi, 

I'm currently looking to build a £550 PC which is "future proof enough" (god i hate that word) for me to be able to upgrade my cpu in the future. The current specs are as follows - 

Note : I have a Samsung 860 evo 500gb which i already own, i wont be only rocking spinning rust xD

Note : GPU - EVGA GTX 1070 SC - pre owned : £100 

One of my main concerns is the MOBO, I have no clue if it will support Ryzen gen 3 out of the box or if it is capable of a future upgrade. 

Thanks for the help, 

Lex.

I don't deal with Ryzen too much, but a B450 board will most likely work. I actually bought a B450 for my mom's Ryzen 3 3200G, so I can confirm if it works tonight.

I build computers and networks. Fibre Optic is my only dream imaginable. 

Studying for my CompTIA A+ and my CCNA, if you have any tips, let me know please!

Main PC: i5 8400, Saphire RX 570 4GB, ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming, 32GB 3200MHz Patriot Viper RAM, 256GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 550W Evga PSU.

Home Server: 2x Xeon e5410, 64GB DDR2 ECC

It depends on whether or not you want to take your chances.

Because unless that motherboard was updated from the manufacturer with a newer BIOS, it shouldn't support Zen 2 CPU out of the box. Support was added on 2019/5/10. It's possible that the newer stocks of motherboards come equipped with a newer BIOS, but it's also possible that you'll get old stock.

From what I see, this motherboard also doesn't support BIOS flashback. (Which is the ability to bios flash without a CPU)

If you want to be 100% safe, you can get an MSI B450 Tomahawk if you want ATX or B450M Gaming Plus if you want M-ATX.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

It depends on whether or not you want to take your chances.

Because unless that motherboard was updated from the manufacturer with a newer BIOS, it shouldn't support Zen 2 CPU out of the box. Support was added on 2019/5/10. It's possible that the newer stocks of motherboards come equipped with a newer BIOS, but it's also possible that you'll get old stock.

From what I see, this motherboard also doesn't support BIOS flashback. (Which is the ability to bios flash without a CPU)

If you want to be 100% safe, you can get an MSI B450 Tomahawk if you want ATX or B450M Gaming Plus if you want M-ATX.

Figured it might come down to this, the tomahawk max was a board I was considering buying a while back for another system of mine... Hesitated and shelled out the extra for an x570 when it had a bunch of strange stability issues. Any clue if it has been fixed ? 

6 minutes ago, WatEagle001 said:

I would instead go with msi, like the b450 tomahawk max. All mobos of max series have bios flashback button, so in case the bios isn’t updated and won’t get you to boot you can update it without cpu.

Figured this might be the best idea :D. Any clue if the tomahawk max stability issues have been sorted ? Looked at the board a while back for another build of mine due to the vrms but hesitated and shelled out for an x570 after a bunch of issues cropped up. 

10 minutes ago, callmejaccob said:

I don't deal with Ryzen too much, but a B450 board will most likely work. I actually bought a B450 for my mom's Ryzen 3 3200G, so I can confirm if it works tonight.

Great! Mind sending me the board model. Funny you mention your mother as this build is being created for the same purpose :D 

4 minutes ago, Alexander Underwood said:

Figured this might be the best idea :D. Any clue if the tomahawk max stability issues have been sorted ? Looked at the board a while back for another build of mine due to the vrms but hesitated and shelled out for an x570 after a bunch of issues cropped up. 

havent heard of any noted issues in a really long time. so at least based on traffic here there arent any notable issues. 

12 minutes ago, WatEagle001 said:

I would instead go with msi, like the b450 tomahawk max. All mobos of max series have bios flashback button, so in case the bios isn’t updated and won’t get you to boot you can update it without cpu.

Max boards allways have the Bios updated. not all max boards have bios flashback. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£145.98 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£87.59 @ Box Limited) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£69.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£34.29 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£50.99 @ AWD-IT) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£51.22 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £440.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-24 20:32 GMT+0000

a change id suggest if you dont mind not having the color scheme perfectly

edit: updated the build further to make it better