Fractal define 7 vs R6

AshesAndWool

So I have been planning a build for months and I was planning to use the fractal define R6 because of its really professional looks and one of the best acoustics (which is a must for me as a music producer), but now that the define 7 was just released I have to consider if I should choose that one instead. I am building a high-end workstation so I am willing to pay extra for aesthetics, but it seems like the 7 is just plain worse, independent of the cost. Here are the differences so far, after two hours of researching: 

• The R6 has better acoustics when closed (which is what you will be running if acoustics is your 1. priority)
  • The 7 has plastic feet instead of the old metal ones (they look like metal and a reviewer said they were better, I would love if someone could confirm that they are metal)
  • The 7 has two logos that are visible at the same time, which looks kind of redundant and silly
  • The R6 has significantly worse cpu temps when closed (up to 6 degrees (!))

The 7 also has a new "Ikea-aesthetic" which I know is subjective (except for the fact that the open top looks really messy when they are going for a clean look) so I won't knock it for that, although I think it made the case less versatile when it comes to design choices, it might look out of place in more builds now. Right now I am considering just buying the R6 before they disappear from my local retailer, but I am pretty torn because I actually really like the new glass panel and solid top. Gamersnexus had a good review, but he didn't really compare it to the r6, which peope even mentioned in the comments:

What do you guys think of this new case? (especially when compared to the cheaper r6)

Created an account just to respond to this, because I'm in a similar situation, have similar opinions and haven't seen much discussion anywhere yet. My main issues are a combination of performance and aesthetics.

Compared to the Define R6:

Good

• Solid top cover is slick as hell.
  • Two separate purpose-built top covers (airflow vs noise reduction) is a fantastic idea.
  • Modular plastic cover means no more gaping hole in the PSU shroud when using the "open" format.
  • Improved cable management features on the rear of the motherboard tray.
  • More conveniently located fan controller.
  • Lower GPU temperatures (-3.6C under prolonged stress, Gamers Nexus).
  • Better side panel mounting mechanism.
  • Removable top mounting bracket for radiators makes getting at the inside of the case easier.
  • 5.25" drive bay area is more modular and the cover better optimised for airflow, allowing more flexible fan or radiator positioning.
  • More storage options, including a 3.5" drive cage beneath the PSU shroud.
  • No RGB.

Ambivalent

• Different feet. I like that the material blends in to the rest of the case more, but the new shape is a bit odd.
  • Louder acoustic performance (+0.8dBA with the door closed, Gamers Nexus). This is undoubtedly a lot more important for someone working in audio, but for the average person this is barely (if at all) noticeable and the difference may well simply be within the margin of error in measurement.

Bad

• Higher CPU temperatures (+6.5C under prolonged stress, Gamers Nexus). I suspect at least some of this might be due to the default fan configuration, in which a large portion of the top front fan is occluded by the 5.25" drive bay bracket. Gamers Nexus even call this out in their review, but don't follow up -- would love to see further testing on this.
  • The dust filter pattern. It's irregular, it's ugly, and looks as though it would be both less efficient at admitting air into the case and harder to clean than a standard grid pattern. The way the top dust filter layers with the airflow-oriented top cover is very chaotic, visually.
  • The cutout pattern. For a brand that has previously prided itself on the subtle, reserved aesthetic, this looks positively garish. I could live with the pattern as applied to the rear and bottom of the case, as they're both consistent and rarely visible. But for the PSU shroud and airflow-oriented top cover they've filled in parts of the cutout pattern at random. The human brain is very good at seeking out and detecting patterns, and introducing a chaotic element into a geometric design like this is frustrating to look at, because your brain can't "solve" the pattern. I might be overreacting, but it's a bizarre choice and would probably prevent me from wanting to use the tempered glass side panel or the airflow-oriented top cover.

There's so much to love about the improvements to the Define 7, but the poorer thermal performance and weird aesthetic choices have me leaning toward snapping up a Define R6 before they disappear from the market as well.

I need to build a new workstation as mine is now over five years old and I need more RAM which is hard to get for a Z97 MoBo.  I have a Fractal R5 case which has served me very well as it's stone cold quiet.  The problem I'm finding is a lot of the MoBos I'm looking at don't have USB type C front panel connectors.  You can still get R6 cases that don't have a USB type C on the front panel but I don't think the R7 has that option.  Personally, I'm not sure this is such a big deal as I don't have any peripherals that necessitate this.  My cell phone and Android tablets both take type C connectors but when I need to transfer files I can easily use one of the USB ports on the front for that purpose.  Since I don't need to peer into my case and really hate RGB lighting, it's also hard to find non-RGB MoBos!?

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

On 2/22/2020 at 1:36 PM, AshesAndWool said:

What do you guys think of this new case? (especially when compared to the cheaper r6)

Its a matter of taste i guess but the irregular grids/punchouts/filters together with the new "feet" completely removes the premium look for me; it somehow introduces "visual clutter" and doesnt fit in well with the sleek box design to me eye.

Only posistive i see is the modular cover on the end of psu schroud (im on a define s2 with 1 piece cover).

The moduvent never bothered me, and going by gut feeling having the outer top fixed as with r6/s2 adds to overall rigidity (granted though, these things are build like a tank so likely no issue there with the 7 either).

When i saw the first report thumbnail on the 7 on youtube i had high expectations of something spectacular but was underwhelmed.

On 2/23/2020 at 12:46 PM, RandomError said:

Created an account just to respond to this, because I'm in a similar situation, have similar opinions and haven't seen much discussion anywhere yet. My main issues are a combination of performance and aesthetics.

Compared to the Define R6:

Good

• Solid top cover is slick as hell.
  • Two separate purpose-built top covers (airflow vs noise reduction) is a fantastic idea.
  • Modular plastic cover means no more gaping hole in the PSU shroud when using the "open" format.
  • Improved cable management features on the rear of the motherboard tray.
  • More conveniently located fan controller.
  • Lower GPU temperatures (-3.6C under prolonged stress, Gamers Nexus).
  • Better side panel mounting mechanism.
  • Removable top mounting bracket for radiators makes getting at the inside of the case easier.
  • 5.25" drive bay area is more modular and the cover better optimised for airflow, allowing more flexible fan or radiator positioning.
  • More storage options, including a 3.5" drive cage beneath the PSU shroud.
  • No RGB.

Ambivalent

• Different feet. I like that the material blends in to the rest of the case more, but the new shape is a bit odd.
  • Louder acoustic performance (+0.8dBA with the door closed, Gamers Nexus). This is undoubtedly a lot more important for someone working in audio, but for the average person this is barely (if at all) noticeable and the difference may well simply be within the margin of error in measurement.

Bad

• Higher CPU temperatures (+6.5C under prolonged stress, Gamers Nexus). I suspect at least some of this might be due to the default fan configuration, in which a large portion of the top front fan is occluded by the 5.25" drive bay bracket. Gamers Nexus even call this out in their review, but don't follow up -- would love to see further testing on this.
  • The dust filter pattern. It's irregular, it's ugly, and looks as though it would be both less efficient at admitting air into the case and harder to clean than a standard grid pattern. The way the top dust filter layers with the airflow-oriented top cover is very chaotic, visually.
  • The cutout pattern. For a brand that has previously prided itself on the subtle, reserved aesthetic, this looks positively garish. I could live with the pattern as applied to the rear and bottom of the case, as they're both consistent and rarely visible. But for the PSU shroud and airflow-oriented top cover they've filled in parts of the cutout pattern at random. The human brain is very good at seeking out and detecting patterns, and introducing a chaotic element into a geometric design like this is frustrating to look at, because your brain can't "solve" the pattern. I might be overreacting, but it's a bizarre choice and would probably prevent me from wanting to use the tempered glass side panel or the airflow-oriented top cover.

There's so much to love about the improvements to the Define 7, but the poorer thermal performance and weird aesthetic choices have me leaning toward snapping up a Define R6 before they disappear from the market as well.

I completely agree with you and thanks for the added comparison! I didn't see your reply until now, I stopped checking the replies becauseI thought this was such a niche topic that noone would respond haha. My local retailer has a tendency to put updated items on massive sales so I am definetely getting the r6 if it goes on sale. The only bummer to me has to be the glass, because I really liked the new one without borders, I think it looks quite modern compared to the borders on all sides (reminds me of the trend with smaller and smaller screen bezels haha). The old fan hub position is actually a bonus for me because I plan on screwing it out and replacing it with a corsair hub, because of the lack of 4-pin connectors. I couldn't find a removeable screw on the new fan-hub from looking at the pictures. 

You're also right about the noise barely being louder, but since the cpu temps are so bad, I am worried that I would have to compensate by running the fans at a higher RPM than if I just had the r6. Thanks again for your opinion:)

On 2/23/2020 at 9:39 PM, Bartholomew said:

Its a matter of taste i guess but the irregular grids/punchouts/filters together with the new "feet" completely removes the premium look for me; it somehow introduces "visual clutter" and doesnt fit in well with the sleek box design to me eye.

Only posistive i see is the modular cover on the end of psu schroud (im on a define s2 with 1 piece cover).

The moduvent never bothered me, and going by gut feeling having the outer top fixed as with r6/s2 adds to overall rigidity (granted though, these things are build like a tank so likely no issue there with the 7 either).

When i saw the first report thumbnail on the 7 on youtube i had high expectations of something spectacular but was underwhelmed.

I agree, thanks for the reply. Btw if you have the S2, are the feet metal and do you think they are the same as on the r6?

1 minute ago, AshesAndWool said:

I agree, thanks for the reply. Btw if you have the S2, are the feet metal and do you think they are the same as on the r6?

I just tapped them with my nails and it sounds like aluminium (but dont take that as definitive as manufacturers have become to good at faking things - also, i didnt pick up the case to examine better as i have tg window and a delicate tall statue inside ( where a normal person would have its watercooling reservoir ?).

If i look under the front there is a "notch" out of the "silver ring"; cant see to clear but might very well indicate that its (aluminium or otherwise) just a cosmetic outer ring (V-shaped, top is wider than bottom) around the (likely then) plastic foot (also, under the silver part there lets say a 1.5mm black surface with felt/antislip "wont scratch my desk" underneath - hard to say if thats a stick on placstic ofm1.5mm or solid going up to the case, which is however my suspicion).

So my "without lifting or dissasembly" verdict/guestimation would be: solid hard plastic core with a likely aluminium (or metal) outer ring for cosmetics. The look is at least aluminium, with a vertical brushed/machined "shine".

From what ive seen in videos the r6 feet and a quick google-fu on define r6 feet, they seem identical.

Just for completeness ill also chime in on another response to another person (not to be obnoxious but hopefully just ad a tidbit if info).

27 minutes ago, AshesAndWool said:

.... I stopped checking the replies becauseI thought this was such a niche topic that noone would respond haha....

Lol, it took me 4 months to decide on the define S2 at the time :) for some (like me) the case is a very personal and artistic choice even if not modded and just used stock :) - likely, in all honesty, i proably spent more time researching than have had the machine on since i got it ?

31 minutes ago, AshesAndWool said:

The only bummer to me has to be the glass, because I really liked the new one without borders, 

Ah! Well, depending on your use case, the borders can help in hiding cables in corners and gutters in case you have some argh-gee-bees planned. And the window is very "open" even with the border if the case is on desk (when you move you get different angles so the border actually only really hides a few mm), i had a hard time keeping the tiny rgb strip cables out of sight in the corners for example.

Im sure youll enjoy the 6!!;

P.s. even having read the weight and dimensions and viewed a lot of videos, the box came in, i unpact it, and  was like:

"that is a LOT of case, and a looooooot of weight even without components" ?

(came from a old much smaller mid tower).

I havent put hands on a 7 yet but as a former owner of a R6 Ill say that it was one of the absolute best cases I ever put hands on from a build quality stand point and my ONLY complaint with it was that when you push the front wall to the back it leaves a large opening at the end of the PSU shroud that to the best of my searching never had a cover plate made for it so if you just used fans at the front with no rad it looked odd to just have a big pit there.

11 hours ago, AshesAndWool said:

I completely agree with you and thanks for the added comparison! I didn't see your reply until now, I stopped checking the replies becauseI thought this was such a niche topic that noone would respond haha. My local retailer has a tendency to put updated items on massive sales so I am definetely getting the r6 if it goes on sale. The only bummer to me has to be the glass, because I really liked the new one without borders, I think it looks quite modern compared to the borders on all sides (reminds me of the trend with smaller and smaller screen bezels haha). The old fan hub position is actually a bonus for me because I plan on screwing it out and replacing it with a corsair hub, because of the lack of 4-pin connectors. I couldn't find a removeable screw on the new fan-hub from looking at the pictures. 

You're also right about the noise barely being louder, but since the cpu temps are so bad, I am worried that I would have to compensate by running the fans at a higher RPM than if I just had the r6. Thanks again for your opinion:)

Agree on the look of the side panels. The new mounting mechanism looks excellent as well. They do have borders, but only at the top and bottom. They're a bit hard to see in the promotional renders because they blend in with the case so well and don't obstruct the view of anything other than the case's frame - a big improvement all round over the R6.

With respect to noise and temperature performance, I think there are a couple more things to keep in mind:

• A high tier CPU cooler could help reduce temperatures and reduce some of the fan noise. It's a lot easier to strap a better aftermarket cooler to a CPU than it is to a GPU, which is one area where the 7 sees measurable improvement over the R6.
  • If silence is imperative and you don't mind sacrificing the tempered glass side panel, you could go with the solid side panel for more insulation and better noise reduction.
  • The torture tests GamersNexus and other hardware review sites run are useful for comparing performance consistently and under the absolute worst-case scenario, but unless you're regularly running multiple high-stress applications at the same time and for an extended duration, they aren't really reflective of day-to-day use.

I love all the little tweaks and improvements on the Define 7, and I suspect the performance deficiencies could be mitigated with aftermarket parts and fan positioning - but the aesthetic changes are the real deal-breaker for me. Bring back the grid shaped dust filters, make the frame and panel cutouts more uniform, make the branding more stealthy and it would be perfect. They feel like minor elements in the grand scheme of things, but for a case at this price I'm going to have to look it every day for at least the next five years.

It's a tough choice, made harder because the R6 is proving difficult to find where I am.

9 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

I havent put hands on a 7 yet but as a former owner of a R6 Ill say that it was one of the absolute best cases I ever put hands on from a build quality stand point and my ONLY complaint with it was that when you push the front wall to the back it leaves a large opening at the end of the PSU shroud that to the best of my searching never had a cover plate made for it so if you just used fans at the front with no rad it looked odd to just have a big pit there.

As it's essentially the same frame as the R6, I've read that the Define S2 shroud plate is compatible with the R6.

10 hours ago, RandomError said:

Agree on the look of the side panels. The new mounting mechanism looks excellent as well. They do have borders, but only at the top and bottom. They're a bit hard to see in the promotional renders because they blend in with the case so well and don't obstruct the view of anything other than the case's frame - a big improvement all round over the R6.

With respect to noise and temperature performance, I think there are a couple more things to keep in mind:

• A high tier CPU cooler could help reduce temperatures and reduce some of the fan noise. It's a lot easier to strap a better aftermarket cooler to a CPU than it is to a GPU, which is one area where the 7 sees measurable improvement over the R6.
  • If silence is imperative and you don't mind sacrificing the tempered glass side panel, you could go with the solid side panel for more insulation and better noise reduction.
  • The torture tests GamersNexus and other hardware review sites run are useful for comparing performance consistently and under the absolute worst-case scenario, but unless you're regularly running multiple high-stress applications at the same time and for an extended duration, they aren't really reflective of day-to-day use.

I love all the little tweaks and improvements on the Define 7, and I suspect the performance deficiencies could be mitigated with aftermarket parts and fan positioning - but the aesthetic changes are the real deal-breaker for me. Bring back the grid shaped dust filters, make the frame and panel cutouts more uniform, make the branding more stealthy and it would be perfect. They feel like minor elements in the grand scheme of things, but for a case at this price I'm going to have to look it every day for at least the next five years.

It's a tough choice, made harder because the R6 is proving difficult to find where I am.

As it's essentially the same frame as the R6, I've read that the Define S2 shroud plate is compatible with the R6.

What do you think could be the reason for the worse airflow? My guess is that the new solid top lets in no air, while the old closed moduvent let in slight air through the cracks without letting out more sound. This would explain why new cpu scores are way worse, with the gpu being less affected. Another theory would be that they redesigned the front filter and just failed miserably but I think this seems unlikely because they probably would have noticed this and not released it. A third theory could be that the new fans are just way worse, but I once again think this seems unlikely (unless they are cheaper for fractal to make, which could also be true for the new filter / door, and makes sense when you think about the feet moving from metal (or at least something quite solid) to cheaper plastic)

4 hours ago, AshesAndWool said:

What do you think could be the reason for the worse airflow? My guess is that the new solid top lets in no air, while the old closed moduvent let in slight air through the cracks without letting out more sound. This would explain why new cpu scores are way worse, with the gpu being less affected. Another theory would be that they redesigned the front filter and just failed miserably but I think this seems unlikely because they probably would have noticed this and not released it. A third theory could be that the new fans are just way worse, but I once again think this seems unlikely (unless they are cheaper for fractal to make, which could also be true for the new filter / door, and makes sense when you think about the feet moving from metal (or at least something quite solid) to cheaper plastic)

Let me preface this by saying I'm not an expert - just a passionate enthusiast - and that case engineering and testing is complicated. I'm guessing at best and more probably talking nonsense.

I think all of the things you've mentioned are potential contributors to the higher CPU temperatures. In addition, I'd also suggest fan position as a possible culprit.

The Define R6 has a non-removable 5.25" drive bay bracket with a solid cover, making the default fan position a couple inches lower and almost perfectly aligned with the CPU and any cooler installed there. Likewise the second fan is lower, feeding the GPU with air from the front of the case. Because the rear of the case around the GPU is not as well ventilated (just the small diagonal slits on the R6's PCI-E slot covers) and so far from the front fan, waste heat could back up in this area and be recycled through the GPU. This could explain the lower CPU/higher GPU temperature balance we see with the Define R6.

The Define 7 has a removable 5.25" drive bay bracket, and the solid cover has been replaced with a porous dust filter. From what I can tell from the review photography, the default configuration of the 7 is no drive bay bracket and the front fans mounted as high up as they can go. This means that the top fan is not only no longer pointing directly at the CPU, but its airflow is partially impeded by the edge of the air filter (see this image from the Tom's Hardware review and this one from ThinkComputers'). The second fan is likewise mounted higher, and directs airflow more toward the back-plate of the GPU. With less air moving front to back below the GPU, its fans can instead draw air in from the much closer and better ventilated rear of the case. Because hot air rises, that second front fan could even be pushing some of the GPU's waste heat up into the CPU area. This could explain the higher CPU/lower GPU temperature balance we see with the Define 7.

Pure speculation of course. I've no idea if a few vertical inches of change in the fan position could have this drastic an effect and the more likely scenario is a combination of factors (exaggerated by the nature of the testing). I'd love to see some actual tests performed on the stock fan configuration versus something more closely resembling the R6.

50 minutes ago, RandomError said:

Let me preface this by saying I'm not an expert - just a passionate enthusiast - and that case engineering and testing is complicated. I'm guessing at best and more probably talking nonsense.

I think all of the things you've mentioned are potential contributors to the higher CPU temperatures. In addition, I'd also suggest fan position as a possible culprit.

The Define R6 has a non-removable 5.25" drive bay bracket with a solid cover, making the default fan position a couple inches lower and almost perfectly aligned with the CPU and any cooler installed there. Likewise the second fan is lower, feeding the GPU with air from the front of the case. Because the rear of the case around the GPU is not as well ventilated (just the small diagonal slits on the R6's PCI-E slot covers) and so far from the front fan, waste heat could back up in this area and be recycled through the GPU. This could explain the lower CPU/higher GPU temperature balance we see with the Define R6.

The Define 7 has a removable 5.25" drive bay bracket, and the solid cover has been replaced with a porous dust filter. From what I can tell from the review photography, the default configuration of the 7 is no drive bay bracket and the front fans mounted as high up as they can go. This means that the top fan is not only no longer pointing directly at the CPU, but its airflow is partially impeded by the edge of the air filter (see this image from the Tom's Hardware review and this one from ThinkComputers'). The second fan is likewise mounted higher, and directs airflow more toward the back-plate of the GPU. With less air moving front to back below the GPU, its fans can instead draw air in from the much closer and better ventilated rear of the case. Because hot air rises, that second front fan could even be pushing some of the GPU's waste heat up into the CPU area. This could explain the higher CPU/lower GPU temperature balance we see with the Define 7.

Pure speculation of course. I've no idea if a few vertical inches of change in the fan position could have this drastic an effect and the more likely scenario is a combination of factors (exaggerated by the nature of the testing). I'd love to see some actual tests performed on the stock fan configuration versus something more closely resembling the R6.

Woow, man I didn't even notice that even though you mentioned it earlier. Yeah now I definitely think that is a big reason why the cpu temps are so bad in the nexus-video, I rewatched it now and look at this: image.thumb.png.85368e9ddeb63d26b90fac821300d8cd.png 

From define's website it seems that the r6 comes perfectly mounted: 

image.thumb.png.3634131918494f68aeeee62e06abf36c.png

If nexus actually ran the test like this then that is very good news for the people who decide to go with the fractal define 7; the temps can be way better than what the tests would indicate. Something to support this theory is that nexus' thermals didn't change too much when he removed the front panel, but were way better when he removed the filter.

6 minutes ago, AshesAndWool said:

Woow, man I didn't even notice that even though you mentioned it earlier. Yeah now I definitely think that is a big reason why the cpu temps are so bad in the nexus-video, I rewatched it now and look at this: image.thumb.png.85368e9ddeb63d26b90fac821300d8cd.png 

If nexus actually ran the test like this then that is very good news for the people who decide to go with the fractal define 7; the temps can be way better than what the tests would indicate. Something to support this theory is that nexus' thermals didn't change too much when he removed the front panel, but were way better when he removed the filter.

Sidenote: I just noticed this now, there is a third logo on the back hahaha. Its partially just me being against excessive marketing, but I find that so silly

image.png.5b6f6e71c821f9fd26fb68db2828cd38.png

• 7 months later...
On 2/27/2020 at 8:37 AM, AshesAndWool said:

On 2/27/2020 at 7:36 AM, RandomError said:

I am deciding between Fractal 7 or r6 and is worried about the cpu thermals for fractal 7. Did anyone test the thermals by lowering the default top 140mm fan position a couple inches lower and aligned it with the cpu and cooler?