G-Sync = Tearing ?? How is that possible ?

Niklos

Hello everyone.

I just bought an MSI Optix MAG271CQP. First of all, I know it is NOT supposed to be G-Sync. But Free Sync.

So I plugged it to my computer with an HDMI cable, no G-Sync available on the NVidia control panel. I plugged it with a display port cable and... Yes, G-Sync is activated by default (that's odd...).

I tryed to launch the G-Sync Pendulum Demo and... I have lots of tearing when using G-Sync. It seems like it as if I did not check the G-Sync button on the app (which is not clickable if I don't activate G-Sync on the control panel). So, so far, the best result I can get on that test is with VSync, it is not perfect, but way better than G-Sync.

Any idea ?

G-Sync and V-Sync are not the same thing, they don't cancel on another and should be used together for the best possible experience.

G-Sync will match your refresh rate to your fps but that's it, there is no synchronization going on.

V-Sync synchronizes the framerate to the refresh rate making it smooth.

Therefore you have to enable both so say your game runs at 90fps you'll be at 90hz with V-Sync synchronizing it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Also it could be that your monitor is not fully supported by gsync (gsync compatible is the keyword here).

9 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Therefore you have to enable both so say your game runs at 90fps you'll be at 90hz with V-Sync synchronizing it.

You actually can't enable both on that test.

4 minutes ago, IrishJ said:

Also it could be that your monitor is not fully supported by gsync (gsync compatible is the keyword here).

It is not even officialy gsync compatible. But still, I can enable G-Sync on the NVidia panel

It is only officialy "Free Sync"

2 minutes ago, Niklos said:

You actually can't enable both on that test.

It is not even officialy gsync compatible. But still, I can enable G-Sync on the NVidia panel

It is only officialy "Free Sync"

I'm fully aware of this, but still it could be a compatibility problem, which may causes gsync not work as intended.

1 minute ago, Niklos said:

Oh ok. Any chance I could make it work properly ?

No I don't think so, maybe wait for a few driver updates from nvidia and try again.

If the content you are viewing is outside the FreeSync frequency range of that monitor, you can get tearing. In a quick look that monitor apparently works over 48-144Hz so were you inside that range?

Also V-sync is "better"? There should be no tearing unless something is very wrong.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

27 minutes ago, porina said:

If the content you are viewing is outside the FreeSync frequency range of that monitor, you can get tearing. In a quick look that monitor apparently works over 48-144Hz so were you inside that range?

The pendulum test was set @60hz. So, yes, I was in that range.

Try using a display port cable instead. I never got my freesync monitor to work with gsync over HDMI but DP worked perfectly.

(DP worked perfectly, title of your sex tape) 

That's what I did. I was not even able to see the GSync menu with the HDMI cable. I can see it only with the DP cable.

Anyways, I think I found the issue as it is working perfectly now.

Here is what I did : 

- Install the display driver that I got from the MSI website (not the NVidia driver, I am talking the monitor drivers)

- Activate freesync in the monitor settings (with the monitor buttons)

- Activate G-Sync in the NVidia controle panel

Done !

Just be aware that you should not restaure to default settings the monitor unless you want to see everything in 640*480. Yes, I did that, and I had to hard reboot the computer to get back to something usable...