Build or buy nzxt pre built.

InstantKarma

I know the stigma with pre builts. Let me first say I've never built a pc, but in pretty sure I could. I've been studying up, idk if I should buy one through nzxt or make my own. Anyone have any tips on stuff to make sure to do if I do build my own? Like also what to do when you first get it running. I'm gonna go with the 2080 super and amd ryzen 3700x. Trying to figure out the motherboard, but would like to have something pretty good with bluetooth and everything. I like the nzxt all white case (mid size) Then cooling not sure on either. Also my memory I'll prob put in a m.2 nvme 1 tb. And maybe another samsung 970 1 tb. Any input would be awesome. Thanks ahead of time. 

I would definitely build it yourself. It gives you much more room for personalization with your build and will save you money. For motherboards, most recent Asus, gigabyte, and msi boards should have the bells and whistles you’re looking for, just make sure to check the manufacturers page when you choose. 

hope all goes well!

The advantage of diy is you get to choose the parts.  ALL the parts.  So you don’t get garbage something. The advantage of prebuilt is you don’t have to spend a couple hours sticking it together or learning how the thing is stuck together.  In your case it sounds like die roll parts vs a couple hours of your time.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Build:

- You get to customize everything in the PC (all the components, peripherals, etc.)

- You get to learn to build the PC

- You get to enjoy the building process

- (In most cases) Cheaper

Prebuilt:

- Already built for you, saving time

- PC has issues? Just contact the prebuilt manufacturer and they will deal with it for you

Those are the pros for each option.

Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia Quadro P400 | Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX | Klevv Bolt XR 2x8GB DDR4-3600 CL18

Acer Chromebook C720 @ GalliumOS

I'm always a build guy. Even for fist timers the experience is like no other, and its a skill you can take with you for a life time. I honestly can't stress this enough.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

I'm gonna say from start, don't bother looking for mobo with BT or Wifi. Those are rather special features, and only available in mobos which are highest end or ITX. Its much better option to buy USB BT dongle, if you need that. Saves you $50 with mobo as dongles are $10.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

I'm gonna say from start, don't bother looking for mobo with BT or Wifi. Those are rather special features, and only available in mobos which are highest end or ITX. Its much better option to buy USB BT dongle, if you need that. Saves you $50 with mobo as dongles are $10.

Thanks I'll check that out. I might just build my own. Kinda excited about it. 

1 hour ago, greenmax said:

Except ASUS bios I heard is still crap

I’ve got an Asus board and the bios is completely functional. I completely disagree

3 hours ago, greenmax said:

Except ASUS bios I heard is still crap

ASUS BIOS, especially ROG, is the best I've ever used. ASUS reliability and build quality is also top notch.

CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950X 16 Core/ 32 Thread 4.4ghz (XFR)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

GPU: EVGA GTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

RAM: Quad Channel Gskill Flare X 32GB 2933mhz 14-14-14-34

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

ASUS sells a lot of overpriced stuff like PSUs, AIOs, cases and peripherals.

Their motherboards, GPUs and monitors are usually top notch though and I have to agree with the two previous comments: the bios is one of the best I've used - probably the best in recent years.

4 hours ago, InstantKarma said:

Thanks I'll check that out. I might just build my own. Kinda excited about it. 

What is your budget btw and where are you located? We could throw something together and you can compare it to what NZXT offers.

I could spend somewhere between 2000 and 2500. Ty btw that would be awesome. 

On 2/17/2020 at 2:38 PM, ShinRamen said:

What is your budget btw and where are you located? We could throw something together and you can compare it to what NZXT offers.

I meant for that reply to go to you. Somewhere between 2000 to 2500. I live in celina ohio. Ty btw for all the help. If I really liked what i was looking at I'd go above 2500 lol 

Alright, here's a build within that budget.

I went with an X570 board, since you mentioned you want a nice board and it has a bit more upgradability than a B450 - but that would still give you the same performance, so if you want to shave some $ off of that price, then you can go with an MSI B450 Tomahawk.

If there is a micro center near you, you can get the 3700X for $279 there right now, which saves another $30.

You can use the stock cooler that comes with the CPU - it'll do it's job. If you want to overclock in the future or just want something fancier you can just replace the stock cooler, you shoudl have enough money left for that ;)

Went with a 2080 Ti, because why not.

23 minutes ago, InstantKarma said:

I meant for that reply to go to you. Somewhere between 2000 to 2500. I live in celina ohio. Ty btw for all the help. If I really liked what i was looking at I'd go above 2500 lol 

Well as you can see, you can stay under 2k easily. If you want RGB Ram, an AIO CPU cooler or additional RGB fans - you have > $500 left from your budget ;)

Let us know if you have something special in mind that you want added - we can customize it until it's how you want it and make sure it's still an awesome performer.

Thanks man that's the heat one I've seen so far. I think I'm gonna go 3600 ram. I hear the ryzen does better with faster ram. I do like rgb. Deff gonna add some of that in there. The fans and what not. Other than that I really liked the nzxt's 510i elite case. Havent looked at the one you just put cause I'm at work yet tho. I'll prob get the upgraded cooler right now too lol.  

9 hours ago, ShinRamen said:

Well as you can see, you can stay under 2k easily. If you want RGB Ram, an AIO CPU cooler or additional RGB fans - you have > $500 left from your budget ;)

Let us know if you have something special in mind that you want added - we can customize it until it's how you want it and make sure it's still an awesome performer.

9 hours ago, ShinRamen said:

Alright, here's a build within that budget.

I went with an X570 board, since you mentioned you want a nice board and it has a bit more upgradability than a B450 - but that would still give you the same performance, so if you want to shave some $ off of that price, then you can go with an MSI B450 Tomahawk.

If there is a micro center near you, you can get the 3700X for $279 there right now, which saves another $30.

You can use the stock cooler that comes with the CPU - it'll do it's job. If you want to overclock in the future or just want something fancier you can just replace the stock cooler, you shoudl have enough money left for that ;)

Went with a 2080 Ti, because why not.

Just realized also you had the nzxt h510. Apparently reading when you just woke up doesnt work lol. I'm gonna get the elite version of that and white rgb fans. Honestly if I can get a white 2080 ti I'd prob do that too.

5 hours ago, InstantKarma said:

Just realized also you had the nzxt h510. Apparently reading when you just woke up doesnt work lol. I'm gonna get the elite version of that and white rgb fans. Honestly if I can get a white 2080 ti I'd prob do that too.

Here's an updated build then. Added the NZXT X63 Kraken CPU cooler, changed motherboard and GPU to ASUS models (both better than what I had before and they are now matching for aesthetics), RGB Ram with 3600 MHz and tight timings (CAS 16), fully modular power supply, H510i case instead of standard H510 (H510i comes with smart device to connect your NZXT case fans and control them). 

Intake will be your NZXT X63 Kraken 280mm cooler, exhaust on top the 140mm NZXT Aer and rear exhaust NZXT 120mm NZXT Aer - I just assumend you would want to go with NZXT cooler and fans, if not: feel free to change that :)

Yes, there is a white version of this exact video card, but that costs almost $1500, just for the white color, so it's massively overpriced right now. The Ram has white accents on it. I would go with the H510i instead of the Elite tbh.

You can use custom white cables (by cablemod for example) with the fully modular power supply. There are white power supplies, but since the NZXT cases all have a shroud, you don't even see the power supply. No need to waste your money on that.

Here's an RGB ram kit that's completely white - it's a bit pricier and has worse timings than the G.Skill one above:
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3600MHz CAS18

Here's a white motherboard, also by ASUS:
Asus Prime X-570 Pro

And here is the white 2080 Ti:
Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti Gaming OC - White

If you were to go with all the white components, your total price would increase to $2575.85. (Link to the all-white build)

Still not white and customized enough?

CableMod C-Series White Cables for Corsair RMx

CableMod White Sleeving for NZXT Kraken to make the tubing white as well

On 2/16/2020 at 10:13 AM, InstantKarma said:

I know the stigma with pre builts. Let me first say I've never built a pc, but in pretty sure I could. I've been studying up, idk if I should buy one through nzxt or make my own. Anyone have any tips on stuff to make sure to do if I do build my own? Like also what to do when you first get it running. I'm gonna go with the 2080 super and amd ryzen 3700x. Trying to figure out the motherboard, but would like to have something pretty good with bluetooth and everything. I like the nzxt all white case (mid size) Then cooling not sure on either. Also my memory I'll prob put in a m.2 nvme 1 tb. And maybe another samsung 970 1 tb. Any input would be awesome. Thanks ahead of time. 

The answer to "To build or buy?" Will always be to build. You often save money, and you get to control the quality at all levels of your build. 

Even if NZXT put all branded stuff in there, NZXT isn't all good products. (They certainly do have some good ones, though.)

As with anything else, you'll feel attuned to your gear while you use it. Which is a nice feeling.

The title dates these by a year, but the info is still good.

Paul's Hardware has -in my humble opinion- the best walk-through of the process.

Watch parts 1, 2 and 3 and it goes over what to do before, during and after the build to get you through any of the nitty-gritty.

Here's my white (and black) PC build :P

I will say that obviously some of these parts are a little pricey just on the color scheme principal. (Mostly the RAM):

• I don't generally go for AIOs. I like air. Being that I can't find a really solid air cooler in white, why not this pretty glorious 360mm radiator?
  • The X570-PRO has some really nice white heatsinks and standoffs, and RGB paired.
  • I went with white RGB RAM at 3600mhz, CL16. The price is fairly high, but I wouldn't say absurd to stick to the scheme. Plain white would be an easier and cheaper match if RGB isn't your thing. (White light looks really nice as well, though.)
  • The gaming OC cooler isn't top shelf by any means, but it's not bad. It will keep your stuff cool. And it's nice looking!
  • You could flesh out elements like a white M.2 Heatsink (here or here.) And some custom white PSU cables.

2 hours ago, trevb0t said:

The answer to "To build or buy?" Will always be to build. You often save money, and you get to control the quality at all levels of your build. 

Even if NZXT put all branded stuff in there, NZXT isn't all good products. (They certainly do have some good ones, though.)

As with anything else, you'll feel attuned to your gear while you use it. Which is a nice feeling.

The title dates these by a year, but the info is still good.

Paul's Hardware has -in my humble opinion- the best walk-through of the process.

Watch parts 1, 2 and 3 and it goes over what to do before, during and after the build to get you through any of the nitty-gritty.

Here's my white (and black) PC build :P

I will say that obviously some of these parts are a little pricey just on the color scheme principal. (Mostly the RAM):

• I don't generally go for AIOs. I like air. Being that I can't find a really solid air cooler in white, why not this pretty glorious 360mm radiator?
  • The X570-PRO has some really nice white heatsinks and standoffs, and RGB paired.
  • I went with white RGB RAM at 3600mhz, CL16. The price is fairly high, but I wouldn't say absurd to stick to the scheme. Plain white would be an easier and cheaper match if RGB isn't your thing. (White light looks really nice as well, though.)
  • The gaming OC cooler isn't top shelf by any means, but it's not bad. It will keep your stuff cool. And it's nice looking!
  • You could flesh out elements like a white M.2 Heatsink (here or here.) And some custom white PSU cables.

Thanks man I'm gonna ho over everything and make my choice. I really am prob gonna go full air tho. That was pretty informative:) 

3 hours ago, ShinRamen said:

Here's an updated build then. Added the NZXT X63 Kraken CPU cooler, changed motherboard and GPU to ASUS models (both better than what I had before and they are now matching for aesthetics), RGB Ram with 3600 MHz and tight timings (CAS 16), fully modular power supply, H510i case instead of standard H510 (H510i comes with smart device to connect your NZXT case fans and control them). 

Intake will be your NZXT X63 Kraken 280mm cooler, exhaust on top the 140mm NZXT Aer and rear exhaust NZXT 120mm NZXT Aer - I just assumend you would want to go with NZXT cooler and fans, if not: feel free to change that :)

Yes, there is a white version of this exact video card, but that costs almost $1500, just for the white color, so it's massively overpriced right now. The Ram has white accents on it. I would go with the H510i instead of the Elite tbh.

You can use custom white cables (by cablemod for example) with the fully modular power supply. There are white power supplies, but since the NZXT cases all have a shroud, you don't even see the power supply. No need to waste your money on that.

Here's an RGB ram kit that's completely white - it's a bit pricier and has worse timings than the G.Skill one above:

Asus Prime X-570 Pro

If you were to go with all the white components, your total price would increase to $2575.85. (Link to the all-white build)

Dude awesome thanks really. This would look sweet. Cant wait to game it up on this beast. Never had a really good pc. Figured I'd spend the money getting something top of the line and not have to upgrade for a good while. 

19 hours ago, InstantKarma said:

I really am prob gonna go full air tho

Hell yeah!

There are a couple of white air coolers. I'm not familiar with them as units. 

For black with some white, you could use the eSports Duo, or full full black something like the Fuma 2/DRP4/NH-D15 in Chromax are all fantastic units.

On 2/19/2020 at 7:50 AM, ShinRamen said:

Asus Prime X-570 Pro

One more thing, I havent ordered the stuff yet will be doing that in a week. What do you think of the lg GL 850 27inch. It's a 1440 p monitor that's supposed to be pretty good. Any ideas in that?? 

3 hours ago, InstantKarma said:

One more thing, I havent ordered the stuff yet will be doing that in a week. What do you think of the lg GL 850 27inch. It's a 1440 p monitor that's supposed to be pretty good. Any ideas in that?? 

Seems to be a good monitor from what I've found via google. I'm not an expert on monitors though, you could try the monitor-subforum on here, I'm sure they'll have good input on that matter.

Edit: Oh, I just remembered a friend of mine got the new Alienware 27" AW2720HF monitor and he's super happy with it. G-Sync compatible, 240Hz IPS and it fits your white-build beautifully. Mabye check that one out and read some reviews on it!