Not sure I made the right choice and might have made myself another problem

Hello all, this is my first post, so if it is in the wrong thread I apologise.

I have been putting off upgrading my pc due for a while as it always ran at a reasonable speed to me. Until i tried gaming, I sat down and decided to save for a complete new rig but not in a position at the moment to go out and buy anything at the moment.

I have been using this pc for coding and Photoshop, so my i7 2600 and 20gb ram was doing me well untill now.

I thought i would throw a GPU in to help me game, so brought a RX 590 8gb from ebuyer.com when it turned up I installed it in my machine and nothing.

I updated the bios and still refused to fire up.

After watching video on YouTube and forum comments, I decided to buy a better power supply as mine was 500w and from an unknown company (on the plate) so brought a EVGA 600w from amazon.

That turned up today and installed it in my tower and tried again. It still wouldn't boot up.

After searching some more, I found that the motherboard I have has to have the GPU "whitelisted" and there is nothing I can do to make it work.

Like I stated above I can't afford to get a better MB, Ram and CPU at the moment so thought id find something that is compatible with the components I already got.

So i went searching online to find a motherboard, and found this GA-H61M-D2H-USB3.

After checking it over, I brought it with the last of my money in my bank.

After doing some reading up on it, I'm unsure if I have made a mistake.

it states

4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory
* Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.

My question is if I was to run my standard 64bit OS would this go to 32GB? and my panic was over nothing.

So, you've had some HP, Dell, Lenovo or what mainboard previously. The H61m should be at least as good, but it doesn't suffer from any whitelisting. Your graphics card will therefore be recognized and be usable.

The 32-bit Windows issue isn't dependant on what board you use. If you've been able to access 32gb then you will be able to access the 32gb now, the H61m does support up to 32gb.

You're satisfied with the 2600 which I can fully understand. Upgrading it to something more modern would have been a lot more expensive, and replacing the 500w psu may have been necessary anyway. 

Edited by Sir0Tek

If you're already running a 64 bit OS then you're fine.  Though it sounds like you might lose a bit of RAM due to the board only supporting 16 GB.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

3 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

So, you've had some HP, Dell, Lenovo or what mainboard previously. The H61m should be at least as good, but it doesn't suffer from any whitelisting. Your graphics card will therefore be recognized and be usable.

The 32-bit Windows issue isn't dependant on what board you use. If you've been able to access 32gb then you will be able to access the 32gb now, the H61m does support up to 32gb.

yes i had the Lenovo 4518D9G Motherboard. i brought it from ebay for a small amount and just kept upgrading it to now :)

Just now, nick name said:

If you're already running a 64 bit OS then you're fine.  Though it sounds like you might lose a bit of RAM due to the board only supporting 16 GB.  

The board does support 32gb.

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

The board does support 32gb.

I was going off of what OP said.  So if OP was mistaken then OP is golden.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

6 minutes ago, thenashone said:

yes i had the Lenovo 4518D9G Motherboard. i brought it from ebay for a small amount and just kept upgrading it to now :)

There might be a custom bios where whitelisting is disabled but I didn't find one yet. Thinking about it, it isn't worth the effort, you will get the better H61m-d2h and it should be fine.

@Sir0Tek and @nick name thank you for both helping and replying to my question.

Do not waste any time on it i have the other board turning up soon. but thanks for your help.

2 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

There might be a custom bios where whitelisting is disabled but I didn't find one yet.

1 minute ago, thenashone said:

@Sir0Tek and @nick name thank you for both helping and replying to my question.

Do not waste any time on it i have the other board turning up soon. but thanks for your help.

My thoughts, too.

Are you going to give the old board to someone else? I do have an orphaned i5 2400 here.

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

My thoughts, too.

Are you going to give the old board to someone else? I do have an orphaned i5 2400 here.

i have a second cpu, so was giving it to my daughter unless you need it?

4 minutes ago, thenashone said:

i have a second cpu, so was giving it to my daughter unless you need it?

No, I don't need anything. I do have about 2 times as many cpus as I have mainboards here and I have full access to get anything I may need. Sometimes I am gifting parts and (older) computers in order to support open-source or arts.