my Firefox SOCKS Host is stuck with some russian IP... wtf

Windows95

So I was trying some proxies in the proxy window in firefox here:

eQI1o.png

So imagine in "localhost" you put your proxy ip, then click on "use this proxy server for all protocols"

well, the problem is, SOCKS Host box is stuck with a russian IP. I dont remember when I put that IP there. Point is, its stuck, if I try to change it, I press ok, then open the window again, and its back there. Wtf is going on?

my firefox is up to date. im on windows 7 tho, i hope i didnt get haxxed

Sounds like you may have some malware thats forwarding all your browser traffic through an unknown proxy.

11 minutes ago, RageTester said:

What if you select no proxy and save? Nowadays everyone uses VPN...

Well, if I do that I assume no proxy is being used. Internet is fast and my ip shows as usual. How do I know if this is being bypassed even if I select no proxy?

Im too cheap so I used random free proxies, and looks like now that IP is stuck in there on the SOCKS box only for some reason.

Im going to reinstall firefox and see what happens but im not using my desktop again until I buy the new computer and put windows 10 in there....

Well you might consider portable version of the firefox then to make sure it doesn't use same settings from registry and local app folder...

7 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Well you might consider portable version of the firefox then to make sure it doesn't use same settings from registry and local app folder...

But how do I download it? im on my laptop. If I put it in the usb pen and my desktop is infected can it infect the usb pen?

I mean, im too paranoid to connect my desktop to the internet..

Im going to have to download that program that linus always advertises, the one with the nice colourful graphics to see where the traffic is going and coming from, forgot the name.

If you really are afraid from malware run everything in sandox or use dual boot linux for shaddy stuff.

You could always try locking the drive using diskpart.

Open CMD and type diskpart.

list disk

Select your USB device using the select disk 1 command (where 1 is the number of your USB)

attributes disk set readonly

That doesn't protect from formatting, but I have not seen any sign of serious virus that re-formats everything in it's path...

13 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

But how do I download it? im on my laptop. If I put it in the usb pen and my desktop is infected can it infect the usb pen?

I mean, im too paranoid to connect my desktop to the internet..

You're being overly paranoid.

If you have any anti-virus, you'll be fine.

Download the software needed on your laptop and transfer that to your desktop with a USB drive.

If you're worried, get a live Linux OS and format the USB drive after using it on your desktop.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

You're being overly paranoid.

If you have any anti-virus, you'll be fine.

Download the software needed on your laptop and transfer that to your desktop with a USB drive.

If you're worried, get a live Linux OS and format the USB drive after using it on your desktop.

so any idea why an russian ip would be stcks on my socks host box?

Just now, Windows95 said:

so any idea why an russian ip would be stcks on my socks host box?

Bug with Firefox, reinstall it.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !