AMD Ryzen 3950X not boosting above base... still (EDIT: locked at 3.7Ghz)

un_Bev_lievable
Go to solution Solved by un_Bev_lievable,

Cleared the CMOS again... now it works. YAY!

For anyone who needs this in the future, the ASUS MOBO "optimization" was the problem... After I cleared the CMOS again, I started changing bios settings one by one, it was the culprit that handicapped my CPU, no clue why.

So, friendly people of the LTT forum, I come to you, hat in hand, hoping for guidance. Currently my Ryzen 3950x only reaches speeds of 3.68 GHz (shown in Task Manager) or 3,700.0 MHz (shown in hardware Info). Yes I know these are the same, just being thorough. Here is how I have tried to troubleshoot thus far:

Turned on MOBO optimized settings 

Updated Bios (v 1201)

Clear CMOS

Updated Chipset

Updated Windows

Became Sad

Here are my specs:

Windows 10 home 64bit

Ryzen 3950X (Precision boost enabled, but still doesnt work when disabled)

Asus Crosshair Impact VIII x570

2x16 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo (3600Mhz C16 XMP profile 1)

Noctua NH-U12s Chromax (Dual Nf-F12 fans in push/pull)

EVGA RTX 2080ti XC (Stock)

Force Series Gen.4 PCIe MP600 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot Drive)

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB (Storage)

Samsun 850 Pro 2TB (Storage)

Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W PSU

4x Thermaltake Riing Plus 12 RGB TT Premium Edition 120mm (Case Fans)

All in an NZXT h210i

As this is the community forum you should totally join, I hope there is someone who can help!

Thanks.

EDIT: The frequency is locked at 3.7Ghz doesn't go above or below that value ever. 

Download from the CPUID site the app with the core temp for the cpu. You will have all the cores displayed and the frequency. Base clock for 3950x is 3.5Ghz so you....good. It can definitely reach 4.7Ghz when you browse your email, not in a stress test. Check it out.

@TecheaSo I run Cinebench R20 and I reach 77 C on the package temp.

At idle I am sitting at 42 C. 

Also, I should clarify. My CPU doesn't reach UP to 3.7Ghz. It is ALWAYS running at 3.7 Ghz. No boosting, no throttling, no changes at all. 

Did you download the app and look at all the cores in idle state? What score did you get on C20? If it's over 9000 you are good, it's working fine. Not bad at all 77C under stress.  42C idle is super with Noctua 12. 

1 minute ago, un_Bev_lievable said:

@Techea Yep, that is what I am reading all my info from. 

Cores at idle are 3699 MHz

Currently at 40.9 C

C20 score of 8358 :(

You are good man. If you get down the temperature by 5 degrees you will most likely reach 9k. A 360mm AIO could accomplish that or Noctua 15, Dark Pro 4. Don't even try to overclock it. Super waste of time and you might end up with worst results because the temperature will obviously raise.

@Techea, our friendly neighborhood @AlexTheGreatish has shown us through this video 

that the NH-u12s can, in some cases, outperform a 360 rad. So it should at worst be sufficient to reach boost speeds, all things installed correctly. Especially since I am not seeing any thermal throttling. I don't know, I think I am missing something. Maybe some bios setting that got garbled in an update. 

Cleared the CMOS again... now it works. YAY!

For anyone who needs this in the future, the ASUS MOBO "optimization" was the problem... After I cleared the CMOS again, I started changing bios settings one by one, it was the culprit that handicapped my CPU, no clue why.