A Post Test Post Button

I use the Test Posts section for drafts, and the way in which I make them they're very time consuming to manually copy into a normal public forum post.

Example: A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

If there were a Post Test Post button that loaded the Test Post into a Create Topic page that'd be amazing.

Why time consuming? If you go edit the test post, copy everything in the edit box, paste in the new topic it should come out the same straight away.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Why time consuming? If you go edit the test post, copy everything in the edit box, paste in the new topic it should come out the same straight away.

Unfortunately that has not been my experience. Either the Spoilers copy in empty, don't populate at all or the contents of code sections copy in as plain text I then have to manually go back and put everything inside Spoilers and recreate all of the code tags among other issues.

I had an instance where I somehow put everything in a broken spoiler only mortis had to power to fix. We still don't know how that happened but doing one large copy/paste does not work.

If you don't mind it being dropped down in the list, you can report for moving. But as its already posted, it wont show up in side bar. It will show as unread, but since subforums are sorted by time of last post, it can be pages deep.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

If you don't mind it being dropped down in the list, you can report for moving. But as its already posted, it wont show up in side bar. It will show as unread, but since subforums are sorted by time of last post, it can be pages deep.

I actually spoke with wkdpaul about this while addressing something else and he brought the post date/time to my attention.

That would be undesirable and I'd rather not waste the time of the mods every time I want to post a new guide/tutorial.

9 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I actually spoke with wkdpaul about this while addressing something else and he brought the post date/time to my attention.

That would be undesirable and I'd rather not waste the time of the mods every time I want to post a new guide/tutorial.

Moving a thread is among the quickest moderator-things. So don't mind about that. (Now, reviewing 10 page thread is another matter....)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It's not possible to do that, but it should work fine to copy from the editor of your test post into the editor for the actual post.

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

It's not possible to do that, but it should work fine to copy from the editor of your test post into the editor for the actual post.

Although I'm curious as to why I'll just take your word for it.

I noticed something peculiar when copying content that contains images. The images don't display at the bottom as attachments and the 20MB limit does not decrease (visibly at least). Don't know if this would cause issues when posting.

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Although I'm curious as to why I'll just take your word for it.

I noticed something peculiar when copying content that contains images. The images don't display at the bottom as attachments and the 20MB limit does not decrease (visibly at least). Don't know if this would cause issues when posting.

Well, it is theoretically possible, but it isn't supported by the forum software or easy to implement with it, so it would take a lot of effort across several parts of the code to make it work.

When you copy images from another post it will reuse the existing uploaded image, so it doesn't count towards your quota for that post.

HTTP/2 203

3 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Well, it is theoretically possible, but it isn't supported by the forum software or easy to implement with it, so it would take a lot of effort across several parts of the code to make it work.

When you copy images from another post it will reuse the existing uploaded image, so it doesn't count towards your quota for that post.

That's what I figured. Oh well, it was an idea.

Hopefully nobody abuses that because if I understand you correctly that'd give the potential for infinite images in a single post so long as each individual image is less than 20MB in size.