Mistakes were made, calling all Noctua fanboys to help

Tipper94

I'm pretty new to build my own machine, so mistakes happen, and advice can be used :)

I built a machine based on it should have 3900x,  2080 super and lian li lancool ii. As well as I would run with pure noctua chromax fans.

My mistake was to buy too big ram, for the cooler I chose "Noctua NH-D15 chromax" which means the CPU cooler only run with a mid 140 fan.

In the cabinet I have installed 2 front - Noctua NF-A14 PWM fans, rear fan 1 - Noctua NF-F12 PWM.

So where I need help is what new fan do I need to go out and buy to put on the cpu cooler? (remember it should preferably be from the chromax series). Is it an NF-F12 that will be best for this? I have also looked at NF-A12x15, but since it's thinner I don't know how to put it on? or any better suggestions?

And one more thing, now I have an extra Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM it must be, to spare from the cooler. Would it be an advantage to put it at the top? rear top to take out? Front top to take in? Maybe buy an extra something and put on top too?

Thanks for the help in advance :)

By “too big” I’m assuming you mean the heat sinks are too tall.  Without knowing how tall the ram actually is it’s hard to call

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Tipper94 said:

I cant fit the 140 on there, but a 120 i can :)

Well there you go then 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

And one more thing, now I have an extra Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM it must be, to spare from the cooler. Would it be an advantage to put it at the top? rear top to take out? Front top to take in? Maybe buy an extra something and put on top too?

I'd put it as a top exhaust and use the LNA or PWM control to cap its max. speed to 1200.

For the cooler, NF-F12 chromax will be fine but you may also want to try running it with the center fan only. Temps will only be a few degrees worse (at best) and there will be less noise.

What are your actual temps? There's no need to do any changes if temps aren't issue. Which I doubt they are. Original D15 and D15S are pretty much in same line in terms of cooling power.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I am curious which ram do you have that does not fit?   I am considering 3880x.  

Also, can you put the one 140mm fan in the wrong spot? 

I did this with mine unintentionally..  so if you put the fan in the back near rear exhaust case fan it will give similar cooling performance but not be in the optimal location.  It will free up ram slots towards the front of the case if you do this 

And it means you only use 4 sticks of ram.

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

What are your actual temps? There's no need to do any changes if temps aren't issue. Which I doubt they are. Original D15 and D15S are pretty much in same line in terms of cooling power.

Good point.  If OP temps are fine a second fan  may not matter at all.  Save the hassle and the noise.  Generally second fans are mostly there to reduce noise by dropping required fan speed slightly.  If the first fan isn’t loud enough to be noisy while providing adequate temps, or the second fan doesn’t reduce primary fan apps enough to make a difference with noise it’s superfluous to begin with.

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

It was put together yesterday, so has not so much to compare with. But

GPU
Ideal - 32 ° C
Game -65 ° C

CPU
Ideal - 46 ° C
Game - 60 ° C
Stress (CPU-Z) - 76 ° C

All stuck. 

So it seems okay? Would you say I should not do more with my setup as it is now? Or is there room for improvement?

Remember these are just quick numbers, how high will it be before I should do anything?

1 hour ago, Matacks said:

I am curious which ram do you have that does not fit?   I am considering 3880x.  

Also, can you put the one 140mm fan in the wrong spot? 

I did this with mine unintentionally..  so if you put the fan in the back near rear exhaust case fan it will give similar cooling performance but not be in the optimal location.  It will free up ram slots towards the front of the case if you do this 

And it means you only use 4 sticks of ram.

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4-3200 

Yes I can put it wrong, "behind" but it's incredibly close to my exhaust so don't think it makes so much sense :)

1 minute ago, Tipper94 said:

GPU
Ideal - 32 ° C
Game -65 ° C

CPU
Ideal - 46 ° C
Game - 60 ° C
Stress (CPU-Z) - 76 ° C

All stuck. 

So it seems okay? Would you say I should not do more with my setup as it is now? Or is there room for improvement?

Remember these are just quick numbers, how high will it be before I should do anything?

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4-3200 

Yes I can put it wrong, "behind" but it's incredibly close to my exhaust so don't think it makes so much sense :)

This looks like a vote for “screw the second fan” to me.  Doesn’t even hit 75c except for stress tests.

49 minutes ago, Tipper94 said:

GPU
Ideal - 32 ° C
Game -65 ° C

CPU
Ideal - 46 ° C
Game - 60 ° C
Stress (CPU-Z) - 76 ° C

All stuck.

Depends really, but for now I wouldn't worry about it. Only if you can't get that last 1% of OC power. All those numbers are what would be expected.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What case are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

18 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What case are you using?

Lian li lancool ii   :)

2 minutes ago, Tipper94 said:

Lian li lancool ii   :)

The area around the rear fan mount seems fairly open. Have you tried mounting the NF-A15 there for rear exhaust? If that works, you can move the NF-F12 to the front of the cooler. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The area around the rear fan mount seems fairly open. Have you tried mounting the NF-A15 there for rear exhaust? If that works, you can move the NF-F12 to the front of the cooler. 

Good idea, just tried it but unfortunately it does not work. The NF-A15 is just big enough that it can't be done.

So the only option would be to put the NF-A15 top rear, or top front ... Intake or exhaust. Would any of that be an advantage?

also maybe consider buying an NF-F12 to put on the CPU cooler, but the temperature still seems okay.

1 hour ago, Tipper94 said:

Good idea, just tried it but unfortunately it does not work. The NF-A15 is just big enough that it can't be done.

So the only option would be to put the NF-A15 top rear, or top front ... Intake or exhaust. Would any of that be an advantage?

also maybe consider buying an NF-F12 to put on the CPU cooler, but the temperature still seems okay.

We talking fractions of a millimeter here?  You could take about a half mm off each side with sand paper and not compromise structure.

3 hours ago, Tipper94 said:

Top exhaust would probably help the most. 

*thinks this clearly needs some sort of superhero pic*  

was there ever a superhero named “fanboy”?Maybe like “gazebo boy” or “Aqua lad” or something.