Ever see this before? (broken stuff in this thread)

GilmourD

I came home from work today to discover that my computer was off. I figured maybe the power went out longer than my UPS could support the machine and it was automatically shut down so I absentmindedly turned it back on. That's when I noticed that the lights from my Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT weren't exactly where they should be.

Turns out that the darn mounting bracket broke while the system was running and it popped right off the chip which apparently shut down when it hit the max temp.

image.thumb.png.ed2c2b521f7db5617460d010b69e1d4a.png

The system's currently running with the stock Wraith Stealth cooler (after I ran to Microcenter to get some Arctic MX-4 since I seemed to be completely out of thermal paste). I don't think I fried the chip since I'm typing this post on it and I ran AIDA64 on it for a while without problems. It only hit a max of 87 degrees under full load with the Wraith.

image.png.a372641aecfa364da815657dd27aa62e.png

So, have you guys ever seen a mount that's been seemingly fine for 2+ weeks suddenly break while the system was running?

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

I have an H150i PRO and I gotta say, the mounting for AMD is ass. It's not as secure or even imo. This makes me worry for mine. But I wonder, how tight did you set your thumb screws to? I have mine kinda tight, but not so tight that I can't loosen them with my fingers.

1 hour ago, GilmourD said:

-SNIP-

Can't say I've seen that before, only thing I can think of is the mount was tightened too much and it broke at the weakest point where a stress rise can occur. There are two hard bends in that area, one 90 degree and another stamped portion right along the length so it could have work hardened the material making it brittle. 

11 hours ago, W-L said:

Can't say I've seen that before, only thing I can think of is the mount was tightened too much and it broke at the weakest point where a stress rise can occur. There are two hard bends in that area, one 90 degree and another stamped portion right along the length so it could have work hardened the material making it brittle. 

I'm amazed it would have had the allowable range for me to overtighten it THAT much. I'm used to things having some sort of max limit to prevent such things and it didn't seem any tighter than any other cooler I've used before. I'll be more aware of things with the replacement, though.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

I'm amazed it would have had the allowable range for me to overtighten it THAT much. I'm used to things having some sort of max limit to prevent such things and it didn't seem any tighter than any other cooler I've used before. I'll be more aware of things with the replacement, though.

I'm sure Corsair can get you a replacement if you contact them, only other time I've seen an issue with mounts breaking is the actual plastic bar that is on the board where the little nub that the bracket seats into gets worn out or cracks. 

6 hours ago, W-L said:

I'm sure Corsair can get you a replacement if you contact them, only other time I've seen an issue with mounts breaking is the actual plastic bar that is on the board where the little nub that the bracket seats into gets worn out or cracks. 

Since the Platinum and the Pro XT are new they don't have spare parts, yet. They were going to send me a whole new unit, but since I bought mine from Amazon they said that it would probably actually be quicker to get them to replace it. So, that's what I did. Should be here tomorrow.

OK, so I got the replacement the other day. For some reason I decided to replace the whole thing. Well, that was a bad idea because apparently the replacement was underfilled and the pump was gurgling. When I pulled it out I could hear the coolant sloshing a bit. I took the new bracket and put it on the original cooler and all is peachy now.

16 hours ago, GilmourD said:

OK, so I got the replacement the other day. For some reason I decided to replace the whole thing. Well, that was a bad idea because apparently the replacement was underfilled and the pump was gurgling. When I pulled it out I could hear the coolant sloshing a bit. I took the new bracket and put it on the original cooler and all is peachy now.

A little bit of water noise is normal when you first start up as the air makes it way up to the highest point as there is always going to be a small pocket of air no matter how well they will it. 

On 2/18/2020 at 1:03 PM, W-L said:

A little bit of water noise is normal when you first start up as the air makes it way up to the highest point as there is always going to be a small pocket of air no matter how well they will it. 

I let it settle for a few days and even performed a "fix" suggested by a Corsair rep on another forum (make sure that the case is positioned so the motherboard/pump is horizontal, unmount the radiator and rotate it to work out the air bubbles). No matter what I did that fix didn't work. The sloshing noise unmounted was significantly more on the replacement than the original. I've had the original cooler with the replacement's mounting hardware running since last weekend completely silently. It also seems to be running a few degrees cooler, incidentally.

I let it settle for a few days and even performed a "fix" suggested by a Corsair rep on another forum (make sure that the case is positioned so the motherboard/pump is horizontal, unmount the radiator and rotate it to work out the air bubbles). No matter what I did that fix didn't work. The sloshing noise unmounted was significantly more on the replacement than the original. I've had the original cooler with the replacement's mounting hardware running since last weekend completely silently. It also seems to be running a few degrees cooler, incidentally.

Depending on how you have it mounted, if you have the rad in a vertical orientation with the tubes at the bottom that would be best to trap the air into the top tank of a rad which would then prevent it from easily making it's way back around to the pump creating excessive noise. 

If you are hearing water trickling noises then that unit might have been a little under filled which won't hurt performance but just some excess noise. 

14 minutes ago, W-L said:

Depending on how you have it mounted, if you have the rad in a vertical orientation with the tubes at the bottom that would be best to trap the air into the top tank of a rad which would then prevent it from easily making it's way back around to the pump creating excessive noise. 

If you are hearing water trickling noises then that unit might have been a little under filled which won't hurt performance but just some excess noise. 

Yeah, the noise was a bit too much for me to deal with. The original unit is running on the Extreme setting in iCue and is dead silent compared to the HSF I replaced which was quieter than the pump on the replacement unit.