Trouble installing windows.

kurashi
Go to solution Solved by The_Geek,

You have to convert the SSD from GPT to MBR, ( Follow the instructions and stop at the MBR-GPT Conversion. After you run the clean command, you should be good to go..

How to convert from MBR to GPT during Windows 10 Installation

This can be used when this error message appears: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

Scenario faced: The message appears while selecting the drive to be used as boot drive during the Windows 10 installation process.

Instructions taken from Microsoft support article:

1. To open the command prompt during Windows 10 installation, press Shift + F10
  2. Type command: diskpart (to open the utility)
  3. Type command: list disk (to show the disks available)
  4. Verify what is the desired drive to be used as boot drive
  5. Ask to type command: select disk <the number of drive from step 5>
  6. Type command: clean (this formats the drive, and you should wait for it to finish)
  7. Type command: convert gpt (this will convert the partition table and a message saying it worked will show up)
  8. Type command: exit or close the command prompt with the X at the top right corner
  9. Click on the refresh button and try to install Windows 10* on the target disk again

Note: GPT is a requirement when you have UEFI BIOS mode and want to install Windows 10. Also, all the information will be lost while these steps are followed.

Source: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024558/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

This issue started with me adding a new hdd. Windows wouldn't recognize my ssd to boot anymore. I tried reformatting and downloading  windows and now its saying “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.” 

Im now bricked and can’t download windows, please help. 

Go into your bios ans set your ssd to your first option for booting from.

1 minute ago, Robert J. said:

Go into your bios ans set your ssd to your first option for booting from.

My SSD has been the first option the whole time. my computer just skips over it until it boots from my usb which is last

Just now, Robert J. said:

Try disabling all boot options but your ssd.

Also did that earlier, gave me “Reboot and select proper boot device”

When reinstalling windows from via bios booting from a stick you can format all partitions on the SSD and then create a new one for your windows 

did you switch between ahci and raid or anything like that?

you might have to reinitialize the disk in mbr but that shouldn't be the problem

how old is your windows install usb? try an updated image, I had an issue with an outdated kernel because of how old my usb was on my most recent build

Spoiler

CPU: TR3960x enermax 360 AIO Mobo: Aorus Master RAM: 128gb ddr4 trident z royal PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w GPU: 5700xt, 5500xt, rx590 Case: c700p black edition Display: Asus MG279Q ETC: Living the VM life many accessories as needed Storage: My personal cluster is now over 100tb!

5 hours ago, biotoxin said:

did you switch between ahci and raid or anything like that?

you might have to reinitialize the disk in mbr but that shouldn't be the problem

how old is your windows install usb? try an updated image, I had an issue with an outdated kernel because of how old my usb was on my most recent build

I didnt switch, its still on AHCI

The install USB is brand new.

What was that about reinitializing the disk?

13 hours ago, NoGanksEric said:

When reinstalling windows from via bios booting from a stick you can format all partitions on the SSD and then create a new one for your windows 

I have formatted but I dont know if its formatting the partitions also, Its still saying its invalid. Windows isnt letting me click New in install windows, its greyed out. 

13 hours ago, Robert J. said:

Is windows still installed on the drive and just inaccesible?

Yep

You have to convert the SSD from GPT to MBR, ( Follow the instructions and stop at the MBR-GPT Conversion. After you run the clean command, you should be good to go..

This can be used when this error message appears: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

Scenario faced: The message appears while selecting the drive to be used as boot drive during the Windows 10 installation process.

6. Type command: clean (this formats the drive, and you should wait for it to finish)
  7. Type command: convert gpt (this will convert the partition table and a message saying it worked will show up)
  8. Type command: exit or close the command prompt with the X at the top right corner
  9. Click on the refresh button and try to install Windows 10* on the target disk again

Note: GPT is a requirement when you have UEFI BIOS mode and want to install Windows 10. Also, all the information will be lost while these steps are followed.

Source: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024558/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

17 hours ago, kurashi said:

This issue started with me adding a new hdd. Windows wouldn't recognize my ssd to boot anymore. I tried reformatting and downloading  windows and now its saying “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.” 

Im now bricked and can’t download windows, please help. 

I had same problem with my pc wher i couldnt intsall windows 10 .i don't know if this will work for you but u can try.do you have a another pc that you can use??

1 hour ago, The_Geek said:

I did this about two hours ago, this is the correct answer, I got it from here. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-installing-using-the-mbr-or-gpt-partition-style

Thanks the_geek for helping this strange issue.