Solar energy to charge iPhone

Static30

Hello everyone, I don’t know if you guys can help me with this topic, but I want to convert solar energy to electricity to charge an iPhone 6 Plus. It needs to be small and go on the back of the phone. Will this be able to charge it?

AMX3d Micro Mini Solar Cells - 1.5V 400mA Compact 80 x 60mm Solar Panels - Power Home DIY Projects, Toys & Battery Chargers (1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N38GZFD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8PGqEb1FQQR4Y

No you can't charge your phone at 1.5v, especially since the battery likely is a standard 3.7v Lion battery that charges up to 4.2v.

Try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Portable-Monocrystalline-Charging-Hiking/dp/B074PL55WW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3M0JLVADNEB5P&keywords=renogy+usb+solar+panel&qid=1581387206&sprefix=renogy+usb+sola%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-3

Wont fit on the back of your phone, but it will actually charge your phone in direct sunlight. 

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Your iphone expects to receive 5v and at least around 100mA but most likely at least 500mA to start charging.

A tiny solar panel has a voltage that varies throughout the day depending on how much sun shines on them. So, it's not enough to just connect a solar panel to a usb jack, you need a voltage regulator to convert whatever varying voltage it's received from solar cells / panel to proper stable 5v.

If you're a noob when it comes to circuits and building circuits, it's best to buy a usb power bank with some solar cells built in, or something a solar panel with built in voltage regulator that outputs 5v.

A power bank with solar cells will slowly charge while it's in the light and when you need to charge something the battery inside the power bank will deliver the power to the phone.

The product in the link above will work.

Something cheaper would be stuff like this below, foldable solar cells which have a voltage stabilizer/converter to produce 5v suitable to charge any device that supports usb

Amazon.com : 25W Solar Panel Charger, 2-Port USB Waterproof Foldable Convenient Portable Camping Charger with High Efficiency Solar Panel Cell Convenient Compatible for Outdoors Fishing Flashlight Camera : Garden & Outdoor

Amazon.com: 6W 5V 1.2A External USB Solar Power Panel Foldable Charger Bag for iPhone,amsung,MP3,GPS,Power Bank: Electronics

Amazon.com : ENKEEO Solar Charger Panel 28W, Foldable Solar Panels with Advanced TIR-C, Multiple USB 2.0 Output Ports, with USB Cable and Carabiner Hooks for Smartphones, Tablets, Power Banks and More : Garden & Outdoor

Well - you could - but you would have to wire a charge controller up.  Something like this might work directly (on a sunny day) though:

https://smile.amazon.com/Sunnytech-100ma-Module-Polysilicon-Charger/dp/B008J9BZIA/ref=pd_bxgy_2/138-7205416-2778644?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B008J9BZIA&pd_rd_r=76a4d87c-ba9d-4353-8ede-4a0146a2ebd5&pd_rd_w=KpwtS&pd_rd_wg=25hmf&pf_rd_p=fd08095f-55ff-4a15-9b49-4a1a719225a9&pf_rd_r=2TM9CD5ZGXGDS663W33N&psc=1&refRID=2TM9CD5ZGXGDS663W33N

But iPhones are picky (thanks Apple).  Don't blame folks here if you fry one.  You might have better luck with Mangos.

18 hours ago, Theguywhobea said:

No you can't charge your phone at 1.5v, especially since the battery likely is a standard 3.7v Lion battery that charges up to 4.2v.

Try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Portable-Monocrystalline-Charging-Hiking/dp/B074PL55WW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3M0JLVADNEB5P&keywords=renogy+usb+solar+panel&qid=1581387206&sprefix=renogy+usb+sola%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-3

Wont fit on the back of your phone, but it will actually charge your phone in direct sunlight. 

Yep. You need at least something this size AFAIK. I've got one (hehehe, stay with me) of those single A6 or smaller solar charge banks... and then soldered 3 more panels to it. XD

Back in the summer it did charge the solar bank, about 400mah at day IIRC. So really low. But I need to test again now I've replaced the battery, as I was suspect that it was a old/dead cell. In the winter? I get enough light to light the LED lamp installed, but not enough power, even after a full day charging, to charge 1 iota of a phone.

So You need something bigger for day to day use (I plan to use mine camping in the summer, so won't be a worry about winter).

Ok so i need something small that can fit on the back of an iphone 6 plus, and btw i am a noobie, so someone please help me find another solar panel that can fit on the back of the phone, please and thank you.

it's for a high school science lab so i will create a 3d printed model of the case and its not going to be used on a daily basis, i just need to do something "innovative" in my class.

I should also mention that it doesnt have to be quick in any way, just has to be functional.

Preferably not from China, i dont think I need to explain.