Motherboard for Ryzen 3rd gen

Looking to upgrade the CPU/motherboard from an i5 6600 (non K) to a Ryzen 5 3600 (non X), I think the performance difference is worth the upgrade. Mostly need it for work (3D and 2D), gaming second. 

Firstly are B450 motherboards compatible with Ryzen 3rd gen without any BIOS updates and such and if all B450s do need an update would it be worth paying more for an X570? I'm looking to get a solid mobo / avoiding the lowest end since I plan on keeping it and hopefully upgrading to a future Ryzen generation, but I also have budget restrictions. 

Looking at the availability and pricing in my country it's mostly a choice between a solid B450 or a "low end" X570, I've narrowed the choice down to 3 for now: 

- Asus Strix B450-F Gaming 

- Gigabyte B459 Aorus Pro or Aorus Elite 

- MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus

I'm leaning towards the Strix for multiple reasons, but reading about it I'm not sure if the bios is updated for 3rd gen (I guess I'll have to see if the sticker on the box says "2000 ready" or "3000 ready"). The MSI X570 I'd rather avoid since it's the lowest tier X570 and I'm looking for a solid future proof board. 

If it comes down to it, should I get a Ryzen 7 2700X or Max instead of the 3600? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X | CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE | Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming B650 Plus | RAM: Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 5600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RX7800XT | PSU: Cooler Master V850 V2 Gold | SSD: Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB M.2 NVME  | HDD: WD Blue 1TB x2 | HDD: WD Blue 2TB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl 

Ok. So, avoid the strix like it's the plague cuz that board's vrms perform terribly. The MSI b450 tomahawk is the best b450 board for ~100 bucks.

If you don't really wanna overclock, just go with the board that has all the features you want. The x570 will have the most features, if you can afford it, it's not that bad.

• CPU
    r5 5600x
  • Motherboard
    Arous b550 pro ac v1
  • RAM
    Tcreate 32gb ddr4 3600 cl18
  • GPU
    1660 super
  • Storage
    SN570 1tb
  • PSU
    Corsair CX750
  • Audio
    Lots of chi-fi iems
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 (lastest)

msi b450 MAX boards ship with ryzen 3000 ready bios and also have very good vrms, comparable with x570 boards. go for msi b450 a-pro MAX, gaming plus MAX or tomahawk MAX

9 minutes ago, -X- said:

are B450 motherboards compatible with Ryzen 3rd gen without any BIOS updates

Any MSI motherboards with MAX in the name are compatible with 3rd gen ryzen.

Also the ASRock B450M/AC is compatible out of the box.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 hours ago, 8lec said:

Ok. So, avoid the strix like it's the plague cuz that board's vrms perform terribly. The MSI b450 tomahawk is the best b450 board for ~100 bucks.

If you don't really wanna overclock, just go with the board that has all the features you want. The x570 will have the most features, if you can afford it, it's not that bad.

Is it that bad? I looked up reviews and it didn't seem to be an issue, or at least wasn't mentioned. But overall I don't plan on overclocking the CPU, if that makes a difference for this mobo? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X | CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE | Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming B650 Plus | RAM: Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 5600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RX7800XT | PSU: Cooler Master V850 V2 Gold | SSD: Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB M.2 NVME  | HDD: WD Blue 1TB x2 | HDD: WD Blue 2TB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl 

On 2/11/2020 at 4:13 AM, -X- said:

Is it that bad? I looked up reviews and it didn't seem to be an issue, or at least wasn't mentioned. But overall I don't plan on overclocking the CPU, if that makes a difference for this mobo? 

In a vaccum no, it's not that bad. But it's VRMs are not good and I do not feel comfortable upgrading to something with more than 8 cores.

But unfortunately it's quite a premium for that strix logo.

Get the tomahawk, it's the best b450 mobo for your money.

• CPU
    r5 5600x
  • Motherboard
    Arous b550 pro ac v1
  • RAM
    Tcreate 32gb ddr4 3600 cl18
  • GPU
    1660 super
  • Storage
    SN570 1tb
  • PSU
    Corsair CX750