Disabled turbo boost to stop throttle

Go to solution Solved by JoostinOnline,
1 minute ago, Za69uzZ said:

well, i think all laptop heatsinks are crap so i second that one!

Again, an external cooler can solve it. But there's no way to solve it and keep the regular form factor. Laptops are just too slim, and if they made them 6 inches thick then nobody would buy them.

guys i have MSI GF75 9SC thin laptop which has i7 9750H 2.60ghz base and 4.50ghz on turbo boost. So my problem is whenever i play games like nfs heat , ac odyssey or far cry new dawn my cpu temp goes to 90-100C on 70% usage sometimes on 27% too ,i don't know where is the problem my laptop is 3-4 months old. I tried to lower cpu voltage by -160 coz i got blue screen on -170 but still temp didn't go down and yes my fans were on 6k rpm . so my friend told me about throttlestop software from where i disabled the turbo boost now its running on base speed and temp. remain at 70 ...max 85. so can anyone tell me what should i do?

Not a whole lot you can do to help cooling on a laptop, but changing to a better thermal compound will probably help some. Be careful though, doing so may void your warranty. Linus has a video showing a significant improvement by changing to liquid metal, but if it was my laptop I would stick to a high quality non conductive paste like MX4. That will also help because you may be able to undervolt the CPU more if it it runs cooler. The cooler the CPU runs, the less voltage it needs. Run the minimum voltage you can, less voltage means less heat. 

there are accessories available such as a laptop cooling base that has fans to circulate underneath your laptop and cheap online but its important to remember laptops are not best for hard gaming like hours on end but for casual gaming like 30 minutes a day that, unlike desktop pc's laptops have like a metal bar and tiny fan and not a dedicated gaming heatsink for cooling.

8 hours ago, Za69uzZ said:

there are accessories available such as a laptop cooling base that has fans to circulate underneath your laptop and cheap online but its important to remember laptops are not best for hard gaming like hours on end but for casual gaming like 30 minutes a day that, unlike desktop pc's laptops have like a metal bar and tiny fan and not a dedicated gaming heatsink for cooling.

temp goes above 90 from first 5 min in game

12 hours ago, lexidobe said:

Not a whole lot you can do to help cooling on a laptop, but changing to a better thermal compound will probably help some. Be careful though, doing so may void your warranty. Linus has a video showing a significant improvement by changing to liquid metal, but if it was my laptop I would stick to a high quality non conductive paste like MX4. That will also help because you may be able to undervolt the CPU more if it it runs cooler. The cooler the CPU runs, the less voltage it needs. Run the minimum voltage you can, less voltage means less heat. 

if i do dis my parents will kill me . Thank you

I will take it to a service center with thermal geezly they will do it.

2 hours ago, Parvesh said:

temp goes above 90 from first 5 min in game

you need to have its cpu and if seperate, gpu heatsink compound replaced and if thats out of warranty then i'd recommend a qualified service repairer they are very refined and easy to damage. Also is the cooling fan working? could it be blocked with dust? a vacuum on the air intake may suck out any dust bunnies but as far as throttling if your using windows 10 i'd have power management limit top cpu useage at about 75% (or lower)

15 hours ago, Parvesh said:

guys i have MSI GF75 9SC thin laptop which has i7 9750H 2.60ghz base and 4.50ghz on turbo boost. So my problem is whenever i play games like nfs heat , ac odyssey or far cry new dawn my cpu temp goes to 90-100C on 70% usage sometimes on 27% too ,i don't know where is the problem my laptop is 3-4 months old. I tried to lower cpu voltage by -160 coz i got blue screen on -170 but still temp didn't go down and yes my fans were on 6k rpm . so my friend told me about throttlestop software from where i disabled the turbo boost now its running on base speed and temp. remain at 70 ...max 85. so can anyone tell me what should i do?

There is no problem that you can solve. The problem is that your laptop's cooling system is just shit. Get a PC.

18 hours ago, Za69uzZ said:

you need to have its cpu and if seperate, gpu heatsink compound replaced and if thats out of warranty then i'd recommend a qualified service repairer they are very refined and easy to damage. Also is the cooling fan working? could it be blocked with dust? a vacuum on the air intake may suck out any dust bunnies but as far as throttling if your using windows 10 i'd have power management limit top cpu useage at about 75% (or lower)

mm..my laptop is new so there is no dust and my gpu temp is normal nearly 70C while gaming and about power management my cpu rarely hit 75% usage.if cpu usage is 27% the temp sill hit above 90C coz its running on above 4GHZ on gaming. btw thank you :)

18 hours ago, ZzLy said:

There is no problem that you can solve. The problem is that your laptop's cooling system is just shit. Get a PC.

yeah now i know msi is shit i should go for asus ...my friend is playing and streaming at the same time in legion we both have same specs and here ....damn

11 minutes ago, Parvesh said:

mm..my laptop is new so there is no dust and my gpu temp is normal nearly 70C while gaming and about power management my cpu rarely hit 75% usage.if cpu usage is 27% the temp sill hit above 90C coz its running on above 4GHZ on gaming. btw thank you :)

18 hours ago, ZzLy said:

1 minute ago, Za69uzZ said:

Again, an external cooler can solve it. But there's no way to solve it and keep the regular form factor. Laptops are just too slim, and if they made them 6 inches thick then nobody would buy them.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440