ShadowBox: Phase I - Nothing But a concept.

I posted this in the Test Posts, waited over 24 hours, no response. Kinda just thought mods would look through them and approve the topics as they saw fit, didn't know if I had to request a review of it or not. If this post gets deleted as soon as I post it, I'll know.

The ShadowBox is an ambitious project that aims to bring the portability of a console, without sacrificing the power and customization of a desktop PC. I am a long time PC and console gamer who has always wanted to build a PC inside a console case. But like Linus said in his Xbox sleeper video, the issue that is often run into is that every other build have either modified their case, sacrificed performance, or had to Jerry-rig their components to fit inside their case... But what if you didn't have to do any of that? What if there was a PC case, that felt like a console, but could hold all the gaming power you could ever want? 4k 144 fps games, without the hassle of having to make choices of less powerful hardware.

Well that's where my case concept comes in, right now it's only just a thought, an idea if you will. I want to build a PC case, that can have a custom water-loop built in it, while still being able to house dual GPUs. But, is also small enough to be as portable as a console. I'm also thinking about adding a custom carrying case with foam to protect it from point A to point B and back again. There are currently 3 designs the "Retro" ShadowBox" aka the original design. A white variant of the original design. And a see-through version of the case called "Code-name:Bonez" which would allow people to show off their custom water-loop and their glorious RGB components.

I am not here to beg for money, I am merely asking for constructive input and any ideas that would improve the design of the case itself. I'd prefer constructive criticism but if you hate the design I won't be too disheartened. Everyone has their own opinion. 

IMG_20200206_154213.thumb.jpg.95648d81805865320fad45a9e2eac7e4.jpg

Edited by Spotty

I like the concept, my main concern is what size rad would there be mounting points for? Anything bigger than a 120 or 140mm could increase the size drastically, and I can't really see a fully water cooled system with a single 140 rad, especially with 2 GPUs. Also, don't forget space for cable management. 

Are the GPUs mounted vertically, or horizontally? Is this a water cooled only, or will it have options for air cooled GPUs. If so, how have you planned for airflow?

Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 3700X GPU: EVGA 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming MB: MSI Prestige X570 Creation 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16 NVME: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: SeaSonic PRIME Gold 1000w Case: Corsair 680X RGB Black

NAS/Media Box

CPU: Ryzen 3200G  MB: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 M.2: WD Blue 500 GB

PSU: Rosewill Photon 850W 80+ Gold Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo

5 hours ago, LaughingHyena said:

I like the concept, my main concern is what size rad would there be mounting points for? Anything bigger than a 120 or 140mm could increase the size drastically, and I can't really see a fully water cooled system with a single 140 rad, especially with 2 GPUs. Also, don't forget space for cable management. 

Are the GPUs mounted vertically, or horizontally? Is this a water cooled only, or will it have options for air cooled GPUs. If so, how have you planned for airflow?

I love your comment, Asking all the questions that need answers. Firstly, yes, the system will be able to run air cooled, I just wanted to make sure that it was water cool accessible, since I want this case to sacrifice nothing! Secondly the GPUs will, most likely, be mounted vertically. I've looked at the current gen models, Nvidia RTX 2080 ti FE, KingpIn, Msi Lightning Z, Radeon VII, ext. The large gaming GPUs. The case will be able to support anything as big as, or smaller than those cards. Sketching up a side view of the case, I found that if we leave 5'' clearance where the dip at the front of the case is, we'll be able to house a 3 wide 120mm fan radiator. Which would mean if you left it air cooled, you could fit 3 120 mm fans on the left side, intaking air, blowing it from left to right, to exhaust the air with outtake fans. And of course, out the back of the GPUs. As for cable management, there will be a compartment underneath the board to be able to run everything nice and neat to the PSU. Me and my brother are currently trying to get some mock ups, but our budget is limited to free cardboard we got from the local supermarket. One of us, doesn't work do to ailments, while the other is saving for his wedding.