Gossip thoughts..

gator81

I cannot validate this information so I wanted to ask if anyone else has heard anything close to this.

I have heard that companies are pushing more for ipv6 to be a mandatory config as it is harder to hide your address when using this protocol. Making it more difficult for those with bad intentions to do something to harm. I was also told that this would and could make it where vpn's will have little or no chance to give total protection also making it harder for people doing torrents. I found some of this out in casual conversation in which there was more talk about security due to the expanding ransomware attacks that are happening since some people are looking for a quick dollar and to try and hinder movie downloads on torrents.

Please dont bash me, I am not sure of this information and figured that by asking here with this large user base that there may be someone that can validate this if it has any truth.

Have a nice day

My understanding is that the move from ipv4 to ipv6 has more to do with there simply not being enough ipv4 addresses to go around.  The security thing may be a secondary.  I don’t know.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

50 minutes ago, gator81 said:

I cannot validate this information so I wanted to ask if anyone else has heard anything close to this.

I have heard that companies are pushing more for ipv6 to be a mandatory config as it is harder to hide your address when using this protocol. Making it more difficult for those with bad intentions to do something to harm. I was also told that this would and could make it where vpn's will have little or no chance to give total protection also making it harder for people doing torrents. I found some of this out in casual conversation in which there was more talk about security due to the expanding ransomware attacks that are happening since some people are looking for a quick dollar and to try and hinder movie downloads on torrents.

Please dont bash me, I am not sure of this information and figured that by asking here with this large user base that there may be someone that can validate this if it has any truth.

Have a nice day

There are X amount of IPv4 addresses in the world and about 7.5 billion people liviing on the planet. Many people have multiple devices. So........ lets just say x and y dont equal to something nice. IPv6 would pretty much have enough addresses for eveyr one with no issues in the forseeable future. To be clear IPv6 has been out for more than 20 fucking years and by this point should be used across the board but sadly its not. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, gator81 said:

I have heard that companies are pushing more for ipv6 to be a mandatory config

Some companies like Apple require v6 support for your app in order to be placed on the app store.

as it is harder to hide your address when using this protocol

Not really, it's the same.

I was also told that this would and could make it where vpn's will have little or no chance to give total protection also making it harder for people doing torrents.

They're the same.  It's just a transport protocol and you have 128 bits instead of 32 bits for an address, from a VPN perspective there's no difference.  You might not PAT overload on the same VPN edge address (you still could), but you can get rotating and randomized addresses out of a VPN edge /64 pool.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

thank you for the input, I will try to say something to whom I overheard this from and pass on this information.

thank you

I wanted to add more to this. More of what I am hearing is that IPV6 is a means to try and get rid of using NAT and that all computers will have their own IP address that can be connected to from anywhere. I am sure there would be a way to still use firewalls and other types of security. There is alot of talk about running ipv6 in some sort of tunneling on ipv4 lines and having the uses of talking to each other while attempting a move towards ipv6. This would mean that if your running ipv6 that the vpns will need to have some means to communicate with their existing ipv4 settings or some sort of stacking or it could cause more issues for being anonymous. There has also been talk by going to ipv6 will allow the isps to better regulate the priority and bandwidth of your service from how much you pay for the service. here is one of the sites I was shown that has alot of information but still looking for additional information about how it can effect the end user more then the big companies. 

https://www.us.ntt.net/downloads/papers/Network_World_Executive_Guide_IPv6.pdf

Alot of reading there hehe... again this didnt answer all my questions but wanted to share what I have found.