Feedback on my computer

phxngt_

Looking up some reviews and tests that cooler performance is sort of meh for a radiator that size and I dont think its worth 174 dollars I would rather have a nh-d15. thats a really expensive case i would personally go for a fractal design meshify c or something but if you really want a good looking case then go for it

On 2/7/2020 at 5:06 PM, phxngt_ said:

Hi, i’m new to all the tech stuff, but i’m planning to buy a high end computer. The link below shows what my build is going to be. Can i have some feedback on my build to find the beat price for my money. Please give me some feedback. Thank You

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/AlphaBeast/saved/28b3t6

personally Id go team red for my CPU, especially in 2020. More performance for less with Ryzen 3rd gen, and cheaper motherboards

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 2:20 PM, spartaman64 said:

Looking up some reviews and tests that cooler performance is sort of meh for a radiator that size and I dont think its worth 174 dollars I would rather have a

On 2/7/2020 at 2:20 PM, spartaman64 said:

Looking up some reviews and tests that cooler performance is sort of meh for a radiator that size and I dont think its worth 174 dollars I would rather have a nh-d15. thats a really expensive case i would personally go for a fractal design meshify c or something but if you really want a good looking case then go for it

On 2/9/2020 at 6:50 PM, InsaneFire10YT said:

personally Id go team red for my CPU, especially in 2020. More performance for less with Ryzen 3rd gen, and cheaper motherboards

On 2/10/2020 at 12:19 AM, comander said:

You're spending too much on the following:

AIO cooler - a h100x can be had for as little as $60 on sale

RAM - I'd probably go for 32GB of eDie or CJR at ~$130ish

Case could probably be done for cheaper

Motherboard - you can probably get something for $50ish less and be fine on the intel side. 

SSD - go on Slickdeals and find a 1TB SSD for around $100. Ensure it has a dream cache and isn't qlc. 

If probably also swap to a 3700x and a b450 board to shave off around $200ish

Overall you could probably get similar real world performance and better termals/acoustics for $1500ish. Use the cash difference to accelerate your upgrade cycle or for things like a vacation or treating time off from work to study if you're still in school. 

thats a really expensive case i would personally go for a fractal design meshify c or something but if you really want a good looking case then go for it out my case.

Alright, I decided to switch over to red team, chnaged my case, changed my 360mm liquid cooler to a 240mm liquid cooler, and now I'm stuck for on my motherboard. I don't know which motherboard is good for my system. I'm using pcpartpicker and I was thinking of putting n the MSI tomahawk,but PCPartpicker saying that the BIOS update wouldn't match. Can you guys help me on what motherboard I should get for good performancce. For my computer, I'm trying to use it for daily uses and semi-hardcore gaming. Also, i want to use my computer to edit videos. I don't want to edit 4k videos, just like 1440p or something around like that. If there any other pieces you think i should changed let me know. Sorry Im new to all these computer stuff, but i wanna learn more. Thank You for taking your time readign this and helping me.

If its a tomahawk MAX than it will work just fine out of the box, and is a good mother board

On 2/24/2020 at 12:45 PM, Ravendarat said:

If its a tomahawk MAX than it will work just fine out of the box, and is a good mother board

Yes, I tried to put the Tomahawk MAX into my PCPartpicker list, but it keeps prompting this message at the bottom. "Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions." I don't know if its just not compatible or soemthings wrong.

On 2/24/2020 at 11:22 AM, comander said:

I still think you're overspending on memory (check slickdeals - you can find 32GB kits of almost as fast stuff for a similar price) and the cooler(H100x is usually $60-75 and offers virtually the same performance as the H100i, just no RGB). 

You also missed out on some deals for the CPU (it was $60 cheaper).
https://slickdeals.net/f/13846052-micro-center-in-stores-offer-amd-ryzen-cpu-3800x-280-3700x-260-2600x-80-more-in-store-pickup?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Also you probably only need a 500W PSU or so. Realistically you'll be drawing 300W or less 95% of the time and 400W or less 99.9% of the time. It's really hard to get EVERY SINGLE part to max out at once. (FWIW, my 3900x peaked at 145W in torture tests before I undervolted it and now it usually peaks at 125W and it has 50% more cores) 
250W (GPU) + 100W (CPU) + 50W (other) = 400W. 

Using this, my estimated power draw is around 530W with 50% more CPU, tons of fans, a 1.5TB optane drive, a 1TB nvme SSD, a 2TB SATA SSD and a more power hungry video card. 
https://outervision.com/b/gEE8k2
https://outervision.com/b/I03TGz <- rough estimation of your build pulling ~100W less

You don't need to have 1.5-2x wattage. In 2005 it might've been a decent idea (because PSU manufacturers don't straight out lie as many used to and many actually undersell and overdeliver). Johnny Gerow is THE man on PSUs (made what's arguably the best PSU review site and current heads PSU development at Corsair) and he says the same thing. Get what you need plus a little overhead and you're gold.

Step 1) check the B450 VRM list 

Step 2) Find more or less the cheapest board that's "not garbage"

Going off that list, the ARock B450/B450m Pro4 is about as cheap as it gets ($75ish).

This is actually the board I have right now. I can say it's definitely a budget set up (memory voltages are to the nearest .05 instead of .0125 or .025 as on some other boards) but it's adequate. 

I did flash it from a different CPU. 

Now the question remains - will it ship with a recent BIOS? maybe. If it doesn't, AMD will send you a "burner" CPU that you can use to flash it. You then ship the CPU back. 

I want to emphasize, I"m the "buy the boring stuff" guy. I'm also the "I upgrade twice as often as everyone else" guy. 0 Reason to worry about having "the best" if you're going to sell it (ideally for a small profit or at break even) or gift it a while later. Same overall cost but you aren't stuck on 5 year old stuff in 5 years. 

Yes, I agree that the power source is a little overkill, but I decded to get 750w because the other Corsair one for 650w was only 10 dollars less. For my PC, i want my Pc to withstand games liek GTA and Ark and other high performance game at around 60 FPS or higher. Also i want to edit lots of video on it. I want to make upgrade for my PC in the future like addin a 2 TB hard and possiby maybe addign another Graphics card, but I was going to wait in the future to decide. I want my PC to basically last me a very long time, but still modern. Also for the price of all the items, they arent solid to me yet because I want to worry about what the best parts are for my PC first then find all the prices for each parts. Also, I want a little bit of RGB but not an over the top effiel tower kinda of LED light. 

57 minutes ago, phxngt_ said:

Yes, I tried to put the Tomahawk MAX into my PCPartpicker list, but it keeps prompting this message at the bottom. "Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions." I don't know if its just not compatible or soemthings wrong.

It puts that note at the bottom of the page for EVERY b450 board on there when you have a 3XXX ryzen chip selected. The specific difference between the MAX and the regular Tomahawk is that the MAX has the updated BIOS to handle the new Ryzen chips, its even printed on the box itself. It will work perfect for you despite the warning on PCPartpicker

* thread moved to the New Builds & Planning section *

Please be careful where you post your thread.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !