GTX 1070 for Valve Index?

CostcoSamples

I'm waiting for stock to order the Index, and in the meantime I'm wondering if my PC is ok?  i7 4790k and GTX 1070.  It meets the recommended specs, but what do you guys think?

What is the best value GPU upgrade right now?  I don't care about RTX.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I would definitely give your current hardware a try. The 1070 is downright excessive for current VR hardware so it may well run pretty nice on the index. As for CPU, your overclock of 4.7 ought to handle things fine.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

I'm waiting for stock to order the Index, and in the meantime I'm wondering if my PC is ok?  i7 4790k and GTX 1070.  It meets the recommended specs, but what do you guys think?

What is the best value GPU upgrade right now?  I don't care about RTX.

The best value, probably RX 5700 XT, Its an upgrade for sure, but I dont know if its really enough of an upgrade to justify the cost.

If you dont mind refurbished, this RTX 2080 is decent at $450. https://store.zotac.com/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-2080-zt-t20800g-10p-r

Here is a deal on a 5700XT https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1536337-REG/xfx_force_rx_57xt8tbd8_radeon_rx_5700_xt.html

If you check local ads, GTX 1080s can be found for $200 -$250 but again with the cost vs upgrade justification.

If you value your money, maybe just go with your current setup and go from there.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

2 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

I would definitely give your current hardware a try. The 1070 is downright excessive for current VR hardware

That is the complete opposite of how I would discribe my time with my vive and my old 1070...

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Just now, Nexxus said:

That is the complete opposite of how I would discribe my time with my vive and my old 1070...

really? I was rocking the exact config that OP is, 1070 and 4790k, and the experience was butter smooth in even the most demanding games like space pirate trainer. Stutter free and very comfortable.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

really? I was rocking the exact config that OP is, 1070 and 4790k, and the experience was butter smooth in even the most demanding games like space pirate trainer. Stutter free and very comfortable.

It worked sure. ..in Games designed for VR and VR only. while Space Pirate Trainer may have been demanding for a VR game, when you start playing desktop experiences that have VR support it started to fall apart.

Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally, Euro/American Truck sim, Dying Light ect it doesnt  keep up and gets boarderline unplayable if you are trying to see a needle for shifting points in a car. I could play all these, some of them with reprojection but it was not what I would have discribed as an optimal experiance.

Even H3 wasnt ideal imho since you couldnt run super sampling well and it made it excessively hard to see sighting on weapons.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit