New Build - a bit overkill, perhaps, but read my sig

Highlighted some of the important things that most repliers have been ignoring:

ETA - depends on when/if the Titan Black comes out and if it's good for mining (if not good for mining, I can wait a while longer to see if any non-reference ones get released --- I don't want miners to buy up all of the inventory!)

Purpose - Games (Watchdogs, Star Citizen, The Division, Titanfall, & DIII - RoS), autoCAD, simulations (new: physics & chemistry, not games), and mining (not why I'm getting this computer) when not doing the above.

new: I mention mining only because I can get a computer that guarantees me no money (i.e. don't mine) or I can get a computer that doesn't guarantee me no money (i.e. I can mine)

Goal - Quiet but powerful. Silent but deadly.

Budget - Preferrably under $4500 CAD before taxes & shipping.

Location - SW Ontario, Canada. Look left. Looking for exclusively Canadian retailers (I've focused on NCIX for components & DazMode for water-cooling). Have to support the Canadian economy!

side notes: I want NVidia over AMD for PhysX and better driver support (historically). I'm using CaseLabs because I like having ground-clearance for the case (will get the HD caster wheels) since I have radiant floor heating (controlled by the thermostat in the apartment below me .... stupid. I know.).

Case - Case-Labs Mercury S5 airflow config($320)
PSU - Antec HCP-1000 ($280) or be quiet! Dark Power Pro 850W ($240)
Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene ($225)
CPU - i7-4770k ($350)
RAM - G.Skill RipjawsX 1866MHz 2x8GB ($197)
SSD - Samsung Evo 250GB ($200)
HDD - WD Black 1TB ($90)

GPU - 1 or 2 GTX Titan Blacks (1 or 2 x $1000) (meh or awesome for mining, respectively)

Darkside Flex Dual Radiator with D5 kit ($290) {https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/dual-radiator-d5-pump-tank-reservoir-complete-watercoling-kit/}

Darkside 360mm Thick Rad ($95)

Scythe GT 2150rpm AP-45 (5 x $21)

GPU waterblocks (est. $150 each)

Misc - $48 (like thermal paste, some extra compression fittings, etc.)

===================================

Sub-total = $4500 (2 Titans) vs. $3350 (1 Titan)

- getting an O/S separately from the local university bookstore (student prices, YAY!)

Pretty much, if I might have to worry that a month or two from when the Titan Black is released whether it will be in stock because it's getting nabbed by miners, I will buy it right away. Plus, according to the NCIX website, for system builds over $2000, they'll assemble & test free-of-charge {http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/pchelp.cfm}. The one thing I'm worried about dropping this kind of coin for a rig is getting just 1 DOA component and having to deal with RMA.

All of my prices are from the regular price, since I have no idea what the special prices, if any, will be at the time of purchase.

Any suggestions? I almost bought the system last year, with a GTX Titan, but my friends told me to hold out until the new consoles came out (and the hyped games were expected to release).

Edited by AznKnight82

Corsair Obsidian 250D | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W | Asus Maximus VI Impact | Intel i7-4770k | Corsair h100i (with Noctua NF-F12) | G.Skill RipjawsX 2x8GB | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | WD Black 1TB | eVGA GTX Titan Black (+ ACX cooler)

Featured by NCIXEsther: Titan-Stuffed 250D

Titan's for mining... NO you can of course but the AMD cards beat Nvidia 2x over in some cases where mining is concerned 

780Ti > Titan.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Titan's for mining... NO you can of course but the AMD cards beat Nvidia 2x over in some cases where mining is concerned 

Titan Blacks haven't been released yet. And reference 280's and 290's (and x's) can't be found at the moment.

And, if you paid attention, if they aren't great for mining, I'll just get one and SLI later.

Corsair Obsidian 250D | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W | Asus Maximus VI Impact | Intel i7-4770k | Corsair h100i (with Noctua NF-F12) | G.Skill RipjawsX 2x8GB | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | WD Black 1TB | eVGA GTX Titan Black (+ ACX cooler)

780Ti > Titan.

Titan BLACKS. Geez.

And, it's not JUST for gaming.

Mining is a VERY LOW priority for me. I'm not looking for a Return-on-Investment. I have the disposable income. I just don't like the 3GB of VRAM on the 780ti.

Titan BLACKS. Geez.

And, it's not JUST for gaming.

Mining is a VERY LOW priority for me. I'm not looking for a Return-on-Investment. I have the disposable income. I just don't like the 3GB of VRAM on the 780ti.

I hope you are planning for a 4K set up otherwise this is an insane waste of money 

I hope you are planning for a 4K set up otherwise this is an insane waste of money 

Nope. Maybe 1440p, but won't be until later. Again, 6GB VRAM and the double-precision computes are IMPORTANT FACTORS. So, really, the choices for me are between the GTX Titan that was released last year and the GTX Titan Black that is being released soon. Hopefully.

Nope. Maybe 1440p, but won't be until later. Again, 6GB VRAM and the double-precision computes are IMPORTANT FACTORS. So, really, the choices for me are between the GTX Titan that was released last year and the GTX Titan Black that is being released soon. Hopefully.

a 780 ti handles 1440p fine  unless you step up to multiple 1440p or 4K the new Titan Black will not be needed 

a 780 ti handles 1440p fine  unless you step up to multiple 1440p or 4K the new Titan Black will not be needed 

Last I checked, the 780ti had double-precision computes crippled for just better gameplay. I listed the purposes in the order of priority of spending money. By simulations, I mean physics and chemistry.

If you're going to wait, you might as well plan later. Parts and prices change frequently so any parts list you come up with now will likely be obsolete by the time you're ready to buy.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bringing this back up because I plan on paying for the system on Monday or Tuesday.

Here is what I've got so far:

Case - Case-Labs Mercury S5 airflow config ($320) + HD Caster Wheels (est. $20 --- special order through NCIX)
PSU - be quiet! Dark Power Pro 850W ($240)
Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene ($225)
CPU - i7-4770k ($350)
RAM - G.Skill TridentX 2400MHz 2x8GB ($225)
SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB ($270)
HDD - WD Black 1TB ($90)

GPU - eVGA GTX Titan Black ($1150) ---- using CUDA apps

Darkside Flex Dual Radiator with D5-vario kit ($290) {https://www.dazmode....atercoling-kit/}

Darkside 360mm Thick Rad ($95)

Scythe GT 2150rpm AP-45 (5 x $21)

Scythe 120mm Fan Filters (5 x $9)

EK FC780 ti GPU waterblock ($115) ---- confirmed by coolingconfigurator.com

Extra compression fittings ($23)

Thermal Paste ($15)

NCIX Premium Build + 1 yr warranty ($75)

=========================

Sub-Total = $3653 + taxes + shipping

Windows 8.1 Pro ($70)