nVidia launches cloud-based gaming

Dutch_Master

Okay... It's... interesting.

EU (UK but EU servers) experience of some simple 2D games (as I cannot sleep, and am up early before work, so a little time to spare).

It's strange. I runs like a VM/cloud OS of (currently for me) Steam. BUT... I have to choose each game from the Nvidia panel, and thus cannot run all my Steam games (like I can using Steam in home streaming). I wonder if I can "Streamseption", and Run Nvidia through Steam, running Steam through Nvidia, then my game, then stream that via OBS to Twitch/Youtube? :D

My saves don't seem to transfer either (And STEAM does have cloud saves!!!). :(

As said... strange thing.

[Edit]

Into the Breach is crystal clear, and VERY fast and responsive. Wow... I was not expecting that. And I'm over a 4G mobile connection right now to test. Though it did just drop (My internet is still up, so not sure why the server dropped). :(

[update]

So you have to "search" each game. If you search a game not on (for example) your Steam login... it just silently backs out of the menu prompt... if you have it, it boots your Steam account in a VM but only lets you launch that one game, even though your entire Steam list is there. It seems to run a compatibility layer (or just passthrough) of some sort for controls, as (for example) Into the Breach, notes "keyboard and mouse only". Though I've not tried it on android + controller to see if you can force it to another input method or if they provide their own keybindings.

Launching native desktop apps might kick you out of your Steam account, depending on games DRM/account settings, as it tries to stop you playing the same game twice. Oh, and Steam Desktop reports it as a Stream (Mine was "BaseGame-Seat-Grid" or something like that), similar to in home streaming.

On my Samsung SSD, games boot quicker than the GF VM so far. :P 

Not getting any disconnects now (probably my mobile provider deciding if they allow/disconnect the packets :P ).

3 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Okay... It's... interesting.

EU (UK but EU servers) experience of some simple 2D games (as I cannot sleep, and am up early before work, so a little time to spare).

It's strange. I runs like a VM/cloud OS of (currently for me) Steam. BUT... I have to choose each game from the Nvidia panel, and thus cannot run all my Steam games (like I can using Steam in home streaming). I wonder if I can "Streamseption", and Run Nvidia through Steam, running Steam through Nvidia, then my game, then stream that via OBS to Twitch/Youtube? :D

Not tried it for a few months now but there used to be an option to just launch the stem client and you could literally just select any game in your list then and install it.. was a bit of  odd way to get to it and cant quite remember the process now haha

But yeah it basically just spins up a server for you to run steam on, Maybe they have tried to hide it a bit more now to make it more streamlined for the end user.. 

Will have to take another look at it. 

20 minutes ago, caldrin said:

Not tried it for a few months now but there used to be an option to just launch the stem client and you could literally just select any game in your list then and install it.. was a bit of  odd way to get to it and cant quite remember the process now haha

But yeah it basically just spins up a server for you to run steam on, Maybe they have tried to hide it a bit more now to make it more streamlined for the end user.. 

Will have to take another look at it. 

Yeah, can just search "Steam" and boot it up. Lol. I can think of one possible trick to play on the server, but not within my ability. :P

"Hammerfight is not supported we continue to add games.... yayaydayadayada"... So I guess that's not a security risk. They vet everything!

Logging into Steam from Steam, to stream my game from Steam to Steam, broke the logins. XD

[Edit]

Cannot instal 3D mark benchmarking. LOL.

Battletech download was "instant", as I assume they just have mirrors/dedupes of the games they do support.

Hahahaha. There is partial access to something fun...

breached.thumb.jpg.ca190a77b0149fdbad1cb525d0821cfd.jpg

PS, I'm so getting my entire Steam account banned now, right? :( ?

"failed to create folder, drive is read only" Phew, no ban for me!

3 hours ago, TechyBen said:

So you have to "search" each game.

Only had a very quick go so far, and this was annoying. Downloaded PC client, signed into my existing nvidia account, and saw the "featured" list. When I clicked on "add game" I was expecting it to do similar to GeForce Experience and scan your installed game library for titles, but no. You have to think of a game you want? I guess the feature would not be of value to those who will be exclusively streaming, because they wouldn't have local installs. But it seems an easy way to quickly add games to the system. e.g. you have a monster desktop at home but want to play on potato laptop when travelling.

I only tried one game so far, World of Warships. Left client in "balanced" mode 1080p, but keep in mind I normally play in 1440p. Graphics obviously looked worse but can't say if it was due to the compression or just the resolution drop. I use shadowplay, and it kinda reminded me of that, where the resolution felt like it was there (allowing for expected 1080p vs 1440p difference), but there was something slightly off about the crispness of colour. I don't have time to try more now, but if they let you use 1440p on the free tier I'll do a test with that later on. Or even 4k on TV!

On performance, WOWS is not the most latency sensitive game and in a short play, I can't say I did better or worse than I did with local client. I did put up GPU-Z during the game, and it felt so weird to see CPU and GPU usage practically idle. The in game reported stats showed around 75 fps and 35ms ping, which is comparable to my normal settings I use locally. Note I run my desktop at 144 Hz, and the client seemed to be running in borderless windowed mode.

More a limit for the game than the service, but I really wish they saved UI settings with the account and not locally, so I don't have to manually sync different "installs". This is far from the only game I have this problem with.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Folder written. ?‍♂️

PS, they use "Classic shell". I feel validated for hating Win10.

6 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

PS, I'm so getting my entire Steam account banned now, right? :( ?

"failed to create folder, drive is read only" Phew, no ban for me!

From a Steam perspective I don't think you're doing anything wrong. How nvidia feels, that might be a different matter...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

From a Steam perspective I don't think you're doing anything wrong. How nvidia feels, that might be a different matter...

I'm using the Steam menu... to menu things. That's not wrong is it? PS, what's the max size folder name to trigger a buffer overflow for Windows 10? Oh, and do you know any binary for opening notepad? Asking for a friend... ;)

PPS, they use RealVPN. Yep. WAY too many Steam buttons left in.

"Unexpected error".

And that my friends is me out. Wordpad failed to launch. I probably should have tried notepad first. XD

Oh well, been nice knowing you. Nvidia will probably track me down and delete all my save games I have from when I was 12 in spite... for clicking a button in Steam. :(

Oh. I almost got notepad... then got disconnected. XD Hahahahahahahha.

I've gott go do something else, this is too hilarious.

And here is the servers VM spec:

gsysexposes.thumb.jpg.b76d7d5404eabb26afa2f04868d04734.jpg

Ouch. HT turned off to avoid spectre? Or is it because it's "virtual" it thinks the virtual core is a real one?

4 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Windows Media player works... XD

You know this is a news topic right? Not a status update thread on your profile. Save stuff for less and bigger posts rather than make lots of small ones quickly.

44 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You know this is a news topic right? Not a status update thread on your profile. Save stuff for less and bigger posts rather than make lots of small ones quickly.

You are right. I finally have access to Bing and internet explorer. My work is complete:

geforceBing.thumb.jpg.8fd03efee9c5ffb9fd93b16853ffdd36.jpg

I will put the rest in my Status updates. I was just expecting a little more interest in others experimenting in the VM/games/server. :(

[Edit]

I gave RocketLeague a try... it's like vaseline with timewarp... so this seems another destined to fail product, as the only games that look nice, already run locally pretty well on any igpu. :/

On 2/5/2020 at 5:27 AM, Danioki said:

oh....

image.thumb.png.a16e4af224260f8974bcb1a6f25512d2.png

someone can recommend a trial or free vpn to test this? :D

I just was courius and tryed it today but its unplayable to be honest I used my SB2 with the 1050 Geforce which at high settings really struggles and I have what I thought is a good internetconnection 

image.png.9d0475ac3da8496e7cb4232d35f2613d.png

I think that should be okay but no, I get lags which makes it really difficult to play. 

any Ideas or does this only works in the US? (I am based near Amsterdam / Europe) 

thanks and BR 

p.s Above is 5ghz Wifi when I go via LAN directly to the router 

image.png.486ce3db7951d755de497ddbc5903626.png

but makes no diffrence to the gaming experiance at all