nVidia launches cloud-based gaming

Dutch_Master

I'm surprised to see this hasn't been mentioned yet (at least not here):

nVidia has launched its cloud-based gaming platform GeForce NOW. Read more on:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/02/04/geforce-now-pc-gaming/

I don't know how well this service will work if a user doesn't have an nVidia video card in their system. -> Linus? ;)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

8 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

I don't know how well this service will work if a user doesn't have an nVidia video card in their system.

I don't get why this would matter. It's cloud-based.

A girl who loves to love.

to be fair google stadia was a fail, at least here in Germany because of the latency of our internet. And it says on their page that it also works on macs, so I guess you can use it with everything...

25 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

I don't know how well this service will work if a user doesn't have an nVidia video card in their system. -> Linus? ;)

You do need a videocard to decode the stream coming from geforce now, but it can be pretty  weak i think

28 minutes ago, Mirano said:

You do need a videocard to decode the stream coming from geforce now, but it can be pretty  weak i think

Before I got a decent computer at the end of last year, I used an old AMD APU from 2012 (A10-5800k) with GeForce NOW to play newer games that I otherwise wouldn't be able to and never had any issues. So long as the computer isn't a complete potato (it can play YouTube videos) and you have decent (and consistent) internet, everything works fine.

33 minutes ago, Mirano said:

GPU requirements are 

-GPU that at least supports DirectX 11
-NVIDIA GeForce 600 series or newer
-AMD Radeon HD 3000 series or newer
-Intel HD Graphics 2000 series or newer

I tried it in beta and it wasn't a good experience playing 1080p game on 80mbps connection. I stopped after 10minutes.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

Pleasantly surprised at how they're monetizing this. I expected the free tier to have limitations on framerate/resolution/game availability or some other nonsense. Just limiting you to an hour at a time isn't so bad, especially since you should be able to just start another session once that hour expires - tedious, but not too bad. I also expected the premium tier pricing to be much higher, but it also seems surprisingly reasonable at $4.99/mo  - for now at least, since it seems like it will go up after this first year.

4 minutes ago, Dezz said:

I tried it in beta and it wasn't a good experience playing 1080p game on 80mbps connection. I stopped after 10minutes.

Maybe an issue with your ISP and/or how far you were away from one of their servers. I had no issues myself with just a ~30mbps connection at 1080p/60fps.

At least all the important features are free, so people in the market for this sort of service can try it out themselves to see if their internet connection can handle it.

39 minutes ago, Danioki said:

oh....

image.thumb.png.a16e4af224260f8974bcb1a6f25512d2.png

Joining to the same club... I guess they don't have any data centers in Europe either...

15 minutes ago, LeSheen said:

I thought this was out for years already?

As a beta, yes. This is now the public launch.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

14 minutes ago, LeSheen said:

I thought this was out for years already?

That was in beta. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Joining to the same club... I guess they don't have any data centers in Europe either...

The list of currently-supported regions is:

Caribbean: Anguilla, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Montserrat, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Turks and Caicos, British Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands

Middle East: Israel, Turkey

North Africa: Morocco, Tunisia

North America: Canada, Mexico, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, United States

Europe: Aland Islands (Finland), Albania, Andora, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canary Islands (Spain), Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Caribbean: Anguilla, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Montserrat, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Turks and Caicos, British Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands

Europe: Aland Islands (Finland), Albania, Andora, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canary Islands (Spain), Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom

ahaha no love for South America.

46 minutes ago, Dezz said:

That's great news for me and my 20mbps connection. 

I'll give it a try anyways though. With just 5 bucks a month you'd have to play for over 16 years to get the money of a 2080Ti back, lol. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 hour ago, Dutch_Master said:

the thing about cloud gaming is the people with bad internet or the server is far away and they are not in the right region

Just now, FloRolf said:

That's great news for me and my 20mbps connection. 

I'll give it a try anyways though. With just 5 bucks a month you'd have to play for over 16 years to get the money of a 2080Ti back, lol. 

The fact that the guy you quoted has 80Mbps bandwidth doesn't really mean much, if their latency sucks. You can have gigabits of bandwidth and still have shit-poor latency. As for your 20Mbps, well, NVIDIA does quote 15Mbps as the minimum.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Is this a fucking joke? You know where GeForce Now is available? Literally in every single country bordering Slovenia. Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Italy, just not Slovenia... The country is so freaking small they could just toss it into either of four bordering countries and difference in ping would be maybe 10ms... Sigh.

14 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Asia? is that some kind of chicken recipe?

I, personally, absolutely love game-streaming. I travel two-three times a year to the other side of Finland and I obviously can't always drag my desktop with me, so I just have to make do with now-old laptop that can't play latest-and-greatest games, let alone at high-detail settings, so being able to stream gameplay from a more powerful device over the Internet is just fricking fabulous. What's also extremely useful and what I so far haven't seen anyone else mention is that....well, since your device only has to decode the video and display it and doesn't actually have to use the CPU or GPU for anything else, you get hugely better battery-life out of your old laptop/phone/tablet/whatever as well!

I've been using Steam's Remote Play over 4G LTE mobile-connection at the remote end and at home I have fiber, and Remote Play has been working like a champ. I haven't had any need to use xCloud, Geforce Now or such, but at the same time, I don't expect the experience to be much different as the concept is still the same.

1 hour ago, Josh__ said:

I don't think we are ready for cloud gaming yet  

bro i got shitty internet 60mbps 4g 

Just now, Josh__ said:

I don't think we are ready for cloud gaming yet  

Speak for yourself, mate. I've been doing cloud-gaming for years.

later today i'll try with a vpn and see, jejeje. there are some games that don't need good latencies.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Speak for yourself, mate. I've been doing cloud-gaming for years.

woah you mad bro