Is it possible to "mask" my IP address and make it look like something else?

kelvinhall05

Not exactly sure how to word this question. Is it possible to make a connection to my server at home look like a connection to any old HTTP or HTTPS site, like YouTube for example, but it still connects normally to my home server? Thanks!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Strictly speaking a VPN would mask your IP address but I don't think it can do what you want sadly.... 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Why not have a remote connection to your pc at home, and via that pc do what you want?

5 minutes ago, aaradorn said:

Why not have a remote connection to your pc at home, and via that pc do what you want?

That's sort of what I'm trying to do, is run all my network activity through my server so I can effectively bypass a firewall. Maybe there's a more efficient way to do it but currently I'm using Pritunl. Works fine on everything but my school network.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

That's sort of what I'm trying to do, is run all my network activity through my server so I can effectively bypass a firewall. Maybe there's a more efficient way to do it but currently I'm using Pritunl. Works fine on everything but my school network.

School sucks. Why not have a hotspot on your phone and connect your laptop to it? Thats what we did most of the time. My country does have unlimited 4G+ plans that are only 40 euro's, not sure where you live.

7 minutes ago, aaradorn said:

School sucks. Why not have a hotspot on your phone and connect your laptop to it? Thats what we did most of the time. My country does have unlimited 4G+ plans that are only 40 euro's, not sure where you live.

No data, and it's stupid expensive in Canada.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I'm not sure how Pritunl works but if you use OpenVPN you can set ip up so that it listens on a port that is usually unlocked (usually 443, 80 TCP, 53 UDP are unlocked). If the firewall does Deep Packet Inspection you have to get more clever.

You could also tunnel SSH over HTTPS but that can get way more complicated, usually (at least where I live) schools don't go that far.

1 hour ago, edofullo said:

I'm not sure how Pritunl works but if you use OpenVPN you can set ip up so that it listens on a port that is usually unlocked (usually 443, 80 TCP, 53 UDP are unlocked). If the firewall does Deep Packet Inspection you have to get more clever.

You could also tunnel SSH over HTTPS but that can get way more complicated, usually (at least where I live) schools don't go that far.

Alright, I'll give OpenVPN a shot.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

DDNS and port forwarding on the Internet or internal DNS + connectivity via VPN.  You can even get a free letsencrypt certificate to roll https, and you'd just use the name in your browser bar.  If you want a public internet name you'd have to register a domain, but if you have your own nameserver you can roll whatever name you want internally.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

• 4 months later...

I used a VPN on a router to change my IP address for all devices connected to it, I first checked my IP address per instructions, then set up a VPN and manually double checked IP addresses if they were indeed changed.