New PC build for 24*7 non gamer.

Heyyo
Go to solution Solved by Metallus97,
8 hours ago, Heyyo said:

Thank you so much for the advice.

Yes 570 is much cheaper almost 40% off from 1650S. But I have to buy from Amazon as no local dealer. How about 2nd hand, that's plenty in my country ... 

But I just want to avoid 2nd card as I heard some of them may be for Bitcoin mining and old and easy to be broken without warranty....

Get a 570 or even a 560 that supports zero rpm mode. You will never hear them fan unless you power up some 3D stuff like a game.

CPU: ok VMs and shit. Then 8 cores are good. Go 3700x. 8 zen2 Cores! You Don’t need the 3800x that’s only a bit faster clocks wich produce more heat.

cooler: NH-D15. Beat in class and you won’t hear it.

Please forgive me if this is not the right forum.

I would like to get advice from expert here to see if I could make better adjustment to the list below for the similar price range.

Case has to be mini tower.

No templer glass is needed 

No RGB

Silent is very important as it is in my bedroom , target to be on for 24*7 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bHnfFG

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB Gaming X Video Card  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($75.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.86 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan (*3 in front)  ($29.90 @ Amazon) 

Thanks!

Not gaming + silence. Roger. But what shall the system do?

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

So, what is the computer intended to do if not gaming? If it has to be silent then less heat, less airflow is usually wanted, so I'm curious about the reason for 8 cores and a dedicated gpu.

14 minutes ago, Heyyo said:

Silent is very important as it is in my bedroom , target to be on for 24*7 

How like silent does it have to be. For most people a intel stock cooler in a decent case should be fine

My life

3800x and 1650 is a stupid combination....  if you don't need nvEnc for some reason or Cuda, 110-130$ gets you a RX 570 which would be on same performance level.

I have the same question as the other people... if it's not for games, why would you need a 3800x ?

I assume you want it for some CAD or rendering stuff, based on the 64 GB of memory?

You would probably get a lower noise floor with a 360 water cooler and low rpm fans pushing some air through the radiator.

Maybe look into a power supply that's fully passive under some power load.

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

3800x and 1650 is a stupid combination....  if you don't need nvEnc for some reason or Cuda, 110-130$ gets you a RX 570 which would be on same performance level.

I have the same question as the other people... if it's not for games, why would you need a 3800x ?

I assume you want it for some CAD or rendering stuff, based on the 64 GB of memory?

You would probably get a lower noise floor with a 360 water cooler and low rpm fans pushing some air through the radiator.

In general yes, but for 24/7 and low noise only NH-D15 or its competition 

so NH because it’s le best

7 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Not gaming + silence. Roger. But what shall the system do?

Well... mainly for programming , conpilation sometimes, and run my own services backend ... 

7 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

So, what is the computer intended to do if not gaming? If it has to be silent then less heat, less airflow is usually wanted, so I'm curious about the reason for 8 cores and a dedicated gpu.

Yup, just answered above.

I would like to run my own services, mainly for personal use grabbing data and show in webpage and notification push etc..

It might be computation intensive sometimes.

7 hours ago, Himommies said:

How like silent does it have to be. For most people a intel stock cooler in a decent case should be fine

My head will just be about 80cm away from the case... I mean when I sleep on bed.

Edited by Heyyo

7 hours ago, mariushm said:

Thank you.

Yes I will run background services so I think 8core will be better than 3600 6core.

I wanted to buy RX570 but there is no local dealer selling it already, and not sure if the heat generated is the same?

I think NH has good balance in cooling and noise. Any suggestion is welcomed.

Thanks

Also, regarding memory.

Is there any difference between these:

CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 (2x16GB) * 2

CMK64GX4M4B3200C16 (4x16GB) * 1

I think the module are identical from their webpage and both are Samsung chipset (does that mean Samsung b die??)

38 minutes ago, Heyyo said:

Yup, just answered above.

I would like to run my own services, mainly for personal use grabbing data and show in webpage and notification push etc..

It might be computation intensive sometimes.

And what exactly will be computed? Because still for some push, data grabbing etc a 4core is ok

2200G and boom done. Much cheaper and more silent than with a dGPU

1 minute ago, Heyyo said:

Also, regarding memory.

Is there any difference between these:

CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 (2x16GB) * 2

CMK64GX4M4B3200C16 (4x16GB) * 1

I think the module are identical from their webpage and both are Samsung chipset (does that mean Samsung b die??)

Yes they should be.

also you don’t have to care about b die or not. That only important for hard OCing

I do ask myself: Is the maybe 20% difference btw Ryzen 3600 (non X) and Ryzen 3800x worth 2x the price - under the premise that a dedicated gpu is wanted, albeit not needed for the tasks described. Depending on how large the tasks are it may be an idea to invest some bucks in a at least a 2nd drive for scrap/temp, and a watercooler for the cpu with just enough airflow to keep temperatures at bay. That should keep it silent even if you're going full Gentoo.

At 80cm distance you will still hear something, so it will be better to keep the fans at a constant value. 

45 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

And what exactly will be computed? Because still for some push, data grabbing etc a 4core is ok

2200G and boom done. Much cheaper and more silent than with a dGPU

I have some self written program grab stock prices from multiple places online and do analysis for me to make money ?

Also, I use it as my Roon core to resample songs to DSD256/512.

I may also use it to encode video in x256 but not very often...

I am not a game player, although I did play world of Warcraft like 10years back....with 750Ti in the past...

regarding GPU heat and temperature against RX570 and 1650Super, I found this site seems 1650S is a bit better:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-1650-super&num=12

3 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

I do ask myself: Is the maybe 20% difference btw Ryzen 3600 (non X) and Ryzen 3800x worth 2x the price - under the premise that a dedicated gpu is wanted, albeit not needed for the tasks described. Depending on how large the tasks are it may be an idea to invest some bucks in a at least a 2nd drive for scrap/temp, and a watercooler for the cpu with just enough airflow to keep temperatures at bay. That should keep it silent even if you're going full Gentoo.

At 80cm distance you will still hear something, so it will be better to keep the fans at a constant value. 

Ah, I have missed 1 thing, I reason I want 64gb ram is I will have multiple VM running , 2in windows and 1 in Linux.

Host will still be windows.

2VM windows will be shared remotely for families as VDI, again not heavy user.

1 Linux will be my core server running the apps...

What do you mean by 2nd drive?

Is 3800X generate lot more heat than 3600 in my config ?

10 minutes ago, Heyyo said:

regarding GPU heat and temperature against RX570 and 1650Super, I found this site seems 1650S is a bit better:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-1650-super&num=12

When you're not gaming, most modern video cards kill the fans completely because the heatsink alone is enough to keep the gpu chip below 50-60 degrees Celsius. So you wouldn't hear the video card.

As for the article... what do you prefer, cold components or silent components? The RX 570 will work perfectly fine at 90 degrees Celsius - the firmware on most cards is configured to dynamically adjust fan speeds to keep the temperature at 70-75 degrees celsius.

You can see it there in the chart: Min: 30 / Avg: 61.57 / Max: 73 .. as i said, it's designed to keep the gpu chip in the 70-75 when gaming. Who cares if it's hot, as long when gaming as long as it's way below the maximum permitted temperature?

The 1650 has lower temps but that's debatable .. first it's a less powerful gpu which also consumes less power and 2nd... you don't know the rpm of the fan(s) maybe the card is more noisy. Look on gamersnexus or some other sites 2 cards compared noise levels if that's important to you.

I think you'll be fine with a 3600. I seriously doubt that you're that much of a genius programmer that you'd write a software to support multithreading and properly abuse 16 threads (8 cores and 8 threads).

I'd get the 2 x 16 GB memory

5 minutes ago, Heyyo said:

Ah, I have missed 1 thing, I reason I want 64gb ram is I will have multiple VM running , 2in windows and 1 in Linux.

Host will still be windows.

2VM windows will be shared remotely for families as VDI, again not heavy user.

1 Linux will be my core server running the apps...

What do you mean by 2nd drive?

Is 3800X generate lot more heat than 3600 in my config ?

Definition of 'a lot more'? 20% maybe on the 3800x? The 3700x is only slightly above the 3600(x) still offering 8 cores. With Windows in a vm, do you have plans for a 2nd gpu, dedicated to the VM(s)? Also, I don't think you need more than 32gb, even if you do create more than 2x VM. I assume you do not have access to VMs with dynamic ram-usage which would reduce the need for more ram even further?

A 2nd drive for temp (ssd/nvme) may be of use for large compiles. If you don't plan to regularly recompile the system or similar loads then it is not necessary. Is this computer the only one to store all the data?

11 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The 1650 has lower temps but that's debatable .. first it's a less powerful gpu which also consumes less power and 2nd... you don't know the rpm of the fan(s) maybe the card is more noisy. Look on gamersnexus or some other sites 2 cards compared noise levels if that's important to you.

So, let's debate 'less powerful' compared to the rx 570, does it outweigh the more in watts? Is it really 'less' powerful? Have you heard anything about a noisy 1650S yet? I don't, but I have no doubt that there might be some cheap version that disqualifies itself for a silent setup. The same is true for the rx570/580, even coil-whine is an issue on some cards. It comes down to get informed of the card you are going to buy. Both should be almost inaudible when there's no load.

There's only one reason to buy the rx570 over the 1650s or the 5500xt - and that is the price. It is definitely not performance.

Btw, all my gpus are AMD/Ati atm, from the laptop-apus up to the (low spec) gaming pc my son is using actually. This is of course due to its support by mesa-drivers. But I am still able to honour those nvidia-cards that do deliver outstanding value, and the 1650S is one of them.

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

When you're not gaming, most modern video cards kill the fans completely because the heatsink alone is enough to keep the gpu chip below 50-60 degrees Celsius. So you wouldn't hear the video card.

As for the article... what do you prefer, cold components or silent components? The RX 570 will work perfectly fine at 90 degrees Celsius - the firmware on most cards is configured to dynamically adjust fan speeds to keep the temperature at 70-75 degrees celsius.

You can see it there in the chart: Min: 30 / Avg: 61.57 / Max: 73 .. as i said, it's designed to keep the gpu chip in the 70-75 when gaming. Who cares if it's hot, as long when gaming as long as it's way below the maximum permitted temperature?

I think you'll be fine with a 3600. I seriously doubt that you're that much of a genius programmer that you'd write a software to support multithreading and properly abuse 16 threads (8 cores and 8 threads).

I'd get the 2 x 16 GB memory

Wow, thank you so much for the info!

Is there any passive cooling cheap video card recommended please? I think the NH A12 fans should keep the case cool and quiet so passive cooling GPU should be fine?

2 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

Definition of 'a lot more'? 20% maybe on the 3800x? The 3700x is only slightly above the 3600(x) still offering 8 cores. With Windows in a vm, do you have plans for a 2nd gpu, dedicated to the VM(s)? Also, I don't think you need more than 32gb, even if you do create more than 2x VM. I assume you do not have access to VMs with dynamic ram-usage which would reduce the need for more ram even further?

A 2nd drive for temp (ssd/nvme) may be of use for large compiles. If you don't plan to regularly recompile the system or similar loads then it is not necessary. Is this computer the only one to store all the data?

Oh, 20% heat is really a lot to me...

I think I may step down to 3700x then...

Performance wise is 32g 2*16 better or 64g 4*16, given the same ram ? (If Ignore the capacity )

Yes I will have 2nd drive, I have old SSD Samsung too 512Gb.

Also I mainly use NAS to store massive data.

PC is just for processing fast in this case.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

So, let's debate 'less powerful' compared to the rx 570, does it outweigh the more in watts? Is it really 'less' powerful? Have you heard anything about a noisy 1650S yet? I don't, but I have no doubt that there might be some cheap version that disqualifies itself for a silent setup. The same is true for the rx570/580, even coil-whine is an issue on some cards. It comes down to get informed of the card you are going to buy. Both should be almost inaudible when there's no load.

There's only one reason to buy the rx570 over the 1650s or the 5500xt - and that is the price. It is definitely not performance.

Btw, all my gpus are AMD/Ati atm, from the laptop-apus up to the (low spec) gaming pc my son is using actually. This is of course due to its support by mesa-drivers. But I am still able to honour those nvidia-cards that do deliver outstanding value, and the 1650S is one of them.

Yes 570 is much cheaper almost 40% off from 1650S. But I have to buy from Amazon as no local dealer. How about 2nd hand, that's plenty in my country ... 

But I just want to avoid 2nd card as I heard some of them may be for Bitcoin mining and old and easy to be broken without warranty....

8 hours ago, Heyyo said:

Get a 570 or even a 560 that supports zero rpm mode. You will never hear them fan unless you power up some 3D stuff like a game.

CPU: ok VMs and shit. Then 8 cores are good. Go 3700x. 8 zen2 Cores! You Don’t need the 3800x that’s only a bit faster clocks wich produce more heat.

41 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Wow I found this cheap passive cooling card 

https://m.cclonline.com/product/200801/GT-710-1GD3H-LP/Graphics-Cards/MSI-Nvidia-GeForce-GT-710-Graphics-Card-1GB-PCI-Express-DVI-HDMI-VGA/VGA3375/

You can find cheaper video cards, if you don't care about the performance.

For example, look for HD 5450 , HD 6450 cards or similar, R5 230 etc  great for a linux or some server where you don't care about graphics performance.

HD 5450 : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XFX-AMD-Radeon-HD-5450-1024-MB-HD-545X-ZCH2-Graphics-Card/202895081356

Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 5450 (1024 MB) (11166-51-20G) Graphics Card 4895106263000 | eBay

XFX Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 PCI-E Graphics Card HD-545X-ZC LP HDMI DVI VGA | eBay

MSI Radeon HD 5450 (1024 MB) (912V234016) Graphics Card - Passive Quiet Heatsink 816909080872 | eBay

HD 6450 is about same performance.

Downside is you may not have Windows 10 drivers for these, except the ones that come with Windows.

on nVidia's camp you have the GT 210 :

ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE 210 GT218 512 MB PCI-EX16 HDMI/DVI/VDA | eBay

NVIDIA GEFORCE 210 GT218 512 MB DVI/HDMI/VGA PCI-EX16 9546703340353 | eBay

EVGA 01G-P3-1313-KR GeForce GT 210 1GB DDR3 PCI-E Graphics Card & Warranty 843368015367 | eBay

NVIDIA GEFORCE 210 GT218 PCI-EX16 512MB HDMI/DVI/VGA 9546703340353 | eBay

But like I said, most RX 570 cards are passive when you're not gaming. If you want also gaming performance then RX 570 is about the best performance for the price.