Any Good Guides for setting up Exchange on a Server?

Go to solution Solved by leadeater,

Step 1: Subscribe to Office 365

Step 2: You're done

Seriously it's not a good idea to run an on-prem Exchange Server, it's actually not as simple as knowing how to install it or follow a decent guide. You will 100% get put on a blacklist, more than once, and have to deal with tons and tons of spam. These are all solvable problems but it requires time, consistently.

For the $8.25/m per user you won't be able to beat that pricing when you include the full TCO and also try and reach comparable resiliency.

Office 365 = Set and forget

On-Perm = Constant watering and feeding

Firstly, sorry, if this is in the wrong place but I wasn't sure which category this falls under. 

Anyone know a good setup guide for Exchange 2016/2019 for someone who has never dealt with it before? I had picked up a PowerEdge R420 SFF Refurbished for cheap in hopes to move my fathers company off of their old IMAP email service with GoDaddy Since its up for renewal and GoDaddy wants to charge him $800+ just to move over 10 users to their Exchange Hosting (not including the hosting cost of exchange). I personally hate godaddy becasue they try and get him to buy services he dosent need so im kind of fed up dealing with them.

System config if it helps any:

1. DELL PowerEdge R420 SFF 1U
  2. (x2) Intel Xeon E5-2450 @ 2.10ghz
  3. 32GB of Samsung ECC Registered Memory
  4. Dual Broadcom BCM5720 NetXtreme Gigabit NIC's
  5. (x2) 1TB DELL SAS 7.2K in RAID1
  6. (x1) 1TB DELL SAS 7.2k
  7. (x1) 500GB WD SSD (os boot)
  8. DELL PERC H310
  9. DELL iDRAC7
  10. (x2) Redundant DELL 350watt PSU's
  11. Windows Server 2012 R2 64bit

We currently have 2 static WAN IP address in use for the office so i don't know if we will need more (our server provider package includes 5 total) and I can get SSL Certs for the Server which is no problem. If i understand correctly you have to add server roles like active directory but my question is how would i be able to set up exchange on this server and incorporate his domain he already pays for, Set up MX Records, etc.

Any help is appreciated!

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Are you sure you really want to host email? Do you have plans for backup and hardware failure? If something goes wrong whats your plan?

Do you have a ad domain? Are you currently managing the workstations? If you want something simple id look at gsuite or offfice 365.

There are many guides out there, have you tried googling? Have you read the microsoft docs here? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/plan-and-deploy/deploy-new-installations/install-mailbox-role?view=exchserver-2019

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Are you sure you really want to host email? Do you have plans for backup and hardware failure? If something goes wrong whats your plan?

Do you have a ad domain? Are you currently managing the workstations? If you want something simple id look at gsuite or offfice 365.

There are many guides out there, have you tried googling? Have you read the microsoft docs here?

We already have daily backups of our systems to and offsite server and I have spare equipment. I was trying to look online but their so many guides each one different so i was unsure which one to use.

No i haven't seen the Microsoft doc, I will take a look at that!

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Step 1: Subscribe to Office 365

Step 2: You're done

Seriously it's not a good idea to run an on-prem Exchange Server, it's actually not as simple as knowing how to install it or follow a decent guide. You will 100% get put on a blacklist, more than once, and have to deal with tons and tons of spam. These are all solvable problems but it requires time, consistently.

For the $8.25/m per user you won't be able to beat that pricing when you include the full TCO and also try and reach comparable resiliency.

Office 365 = Set and forget

On-Perm = Constant watering and feeding