White VGA Light On, But Everything Appears to Run Fine

Go to solution Solved by Husky,

If it is running fine then you have nothing to worry about. The light staying is probably just due to a bug in the UEFI or something. You could test if it stays off if you disable Windows Fast Startup (under Control Panel > Power Options > Change what the power buttons do).

I'd like to add to this old post. I have a ryzen 9 5900x, aorus x570 aorus ultra with a aorus master 6900XT.

Same issue, reboot sometimes fixes it, other times it is just on.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:01 PM, aurrorax said:

I'd like to add to this old post. I have a ryzen 9 5900x, aorus x570 aorus ultra with a aorus master 6900XT.

Same issue, reboot sometimes fixes it, other times it is just on.

same here, for me even the screen is all black till it gets to the desktop and then the monitor turns on....vga light always on.

everything working, but can't get into bios like this....

My white VGA QLED stays on on first boot every morning. It stays off every subsequent boots. No difference whether monitor was on first or off.

Possibly after latest ASUS TUF X570 PLUS WIFI BIOS update to 4022.

My GPU is RTX 3080 and god forbid nothing is wrong with it.

Display LG 34GP950G.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 1:22 AM, Bmoorelucas said:

For anyone else who finds this thread like I did trying to solve this problem...

I just upgraded to an Asus Z490-F and had this issue with my board, GPU would not work in BIOS/UEFI at all, VGA light solid always but would boot to OS without issue and GPU worked fine.

I FINALLY found an "NVIDIA GRAPHICS FIRMWARE UPDATE TOOL FOR DISPLAYPORT 1.3 AND 1.4 DISPLAYS" (NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays) that resolved this issue. I guess if you have any displays using DisplayPort on Nvidia cards 7xx-1000 and/or Quadro cards based on Maxwell/Pascal its possible to have this issue and the tool updates your cards firmware. This was happening on my EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid which never had this issue with my previous motherboard.

Hopefully helpful to someone, cheers!

Windows 10, GTX 1060 user here on an Asus ROG B550-F board here, this worked for me. Like this person says, must be something weird with the display port on these older cards

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 4:10 AM, motorhead45 said:

One question for anyone having this issue? Is your monitor turned on first or is already in standby? I was having the same problem were at random the white LED light would stay on and I have found out if I boot my pc with the monitor fully powered off, it will have the white led come on. However if I boot it while the monitor is in standby it does not stay on.

So atleast for me booting with the monitor powered off will trigger the led light to stay on, but I never have the problem if I either leave my monitor in standby or turn it on first before turning on the pc.

Made an account just to say thank you!

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2020 at 7:22 AM, Bmoorelucas said:

For anyone else who finds this thread like I did trying to solve this problem...

I just upgraded to an Asus Z490-F and had this issue with my board, GPU would not work in BIOS/UEFI at all, VGA light solid always but would boot to OS without issue and GPU worked fine.

I FINALLY found an "NVIDIA GRAPHICS FIRMWARE UPDATE TOOL FOR DISPLAYPORT 1.3 AND 1.4 DISPLAYS" (NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays) that resolved this issue. I guess if you have any displays using DisplayPort on Nvidia cards 7xx-1000 and/or Quadro cards based on Maxwell/Pascal its possible to have this issue and the tool updates your cards firmware. This was happening on my EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid which never had this issue with my previous motherboard.

Hopefully helpful to someone, cheers!

I'd like to add: this worked for me, even though I only used HDMI, and never even used DisplayPort. The problem started after I'd installed a new ssd. Weird stuff. But this firmware update seems to have solved it, thx!

• 1 month later...

The answer is quite simple actually. most motherboards will give you the VGA error even your monitor is off while the mobo is doing it's post check. and this happens if you are using a display port. it doesn't happen with HDMI. so if your computer is running fine, and the VGA error light is still on, that's the reason. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/18/2022 at 4:55 AM, jaddenjack said:

The answer is quite simple actually. most motherboards will give you the VGA error even your monitor is off while the mobo is doing it's post check. and this happens if you are using a display port. it doesn't happen with HDMI. so if your computer is running fine, and the VGA error light is still on, that's the reason. 

well, I have this happening with a single TV on HDMI no dedicated graphics ... asus tuf b560

• 4 weeks later...

I found the reason why the white light most likely turns on when you turn on your PC. The reason is that you HAVE to turn your monitor on first before you turn on your computer, as if you do it the other way, your PC boots up too quickly whilst the monitor is still disabled and BIOS notifies it that there isn't a display connected to that GPU. (That's why Fast Startup fixes the problem as well as it takes longer to boot up your PC and can detect your monitor in that time). The issue doesn't cause any problems even if you turn your PC on before the monitor. However, if you want that light to disappear, either turn your Monitor on before you turn or your PC or just restart your computer with the monitor being powered on.

Sorry for a long explaining message, I just want people to understand it as best as they can :D. Have a nice day, hope it helps

• 2 months later...

HI everyone, Having the same issue of turning on my PC and the VGA light come on. Id like to include that I disable FastStart up, I've tried powering on my PC before my monitor, Drivers are also updated, Everything is detected (Ram, CPU, GPU) so couldn't be a wire/motherboard issue I'm assuming. Only way I am able to get a display is by restarting (by the case) after powering it on. I tried NVIDIA download tool but it "wasn't applicable" to my graphics card. Hope yall help me somehow.

• 5 weeks later...

Just created an account to share with you guys that after days of research, disabling an option on my LG monitor, called displayport 1.2, under general settings, permanently fixed both the issue with the vga white blinding light being on all the time, and the other issue of being unable to boot to bios when using this monitor connected via displayport. At some point I've even tried swithcing cables because of that thing with displayport cables having 20 lines instead of 19 allegedly being the cause of all problems.
Well, that's it, hope it helps anyone out there.

Screenshot_1.png

Edited by davi_santos
wrong attachment

• 11 months later...

So i know this quite an old thread but i figured it out after trying everything mentioned here...
you have to turn off something called CSM (The Compatibility Support Module) in the bios under the boot menu.
it hasnt done the white light thing since and its been a week now ❤️  

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2020 at 10:20 AM, Husky said:

If it is running fine then you have nothing to worry about. The light staying is probably just due to a bug in the UEFI or something. You could test if it stays off if you disable Windows Fast Startup (under Control Panel > Power Options > Change what the power buttons do).

Hey dude im

googling some stuff and came across this post u made, I have a pc and my vga board light just randomly

came on a little while earlier today and has remained on, the pc plays fine , currently playing escape from Tarkov and am having no issues, temps r fine, everything seems fine. Im

worried cause I’m sure I can’t afford something bad happening to say the card or what have you. So in your opinion it should

b fine if it’s all working right? 

• 3 months later...

I had the same issue with the white VGA light stays on after booting into windows 11, but I noticed it happens sometimes only when i restart windows. Everything still works fine even with the white light stay lit, its just that the display will turn on slower and I can't go into bios since the display only shows after booted into windows. If I press the physical reboot button while restarting windows, the boot sequence doesn't trigger the white VGA light. 

Info of my system: 

• Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS WIFI II 
  • CPU: RYZEN 5 5600G
  • GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3050 GAMING OC 8G
  • MONITOR: SAMSUNG LS24C36x (connected to HDMI) 

Things I tried but didn't work: 

• disable fast startup in control panel as stated by others above
  • disable fast boot in bios
  • manually set the PCIe gen in bios instead of leaving it as auto
  • disable the PCIe ASPM in bios instead of leaving it in auto

Solution that seems to worked for me: 

• enable CSM and set to UEFI for boot device control.