Virtualization solution using Ryzen 9 3950X

Greetings,

AMD epyc platform is expensive, so I am planning to build a virtualization around Ryzen 9 3950x with 64GB RAM. Please advise best motherboard, ATX case, etc (specs) to build that will run on proxmox, will have several VMs  tailored for security appliance (one for pfsense, security onions, and SIEM) that will run 24/7. 

Ideally design for small, medium business solutions - best bang for bucks.

Design for security appliance solution running 24/7:

What would be the best specs for Ryzen 9 3950x plafform with a budget of around $3K?

What would be the best specs for AMD Threadripper platform with a budget of around $5k?

Cheers.

6 minutes ago, simplydevelopment said:

will have several VMs  tailored for security appliance (one for pfsense, security onions, and SIEM)

Uh, a 3950x just for that? You sure are going for an overkill.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I need 16 cores. The SIEM need at least min 8 cores with 32GB ram. Plus those vms for security onions, pfsense, elastic search.

32 minutes ago, simplydevelopment said:

I need 16 cores. The SIEM need at least min 8 cores with 32GB ram. Plus those vms for security onions, pfsense, elastic search.

Good old ELK (even though we aren't suppose to call it that anymore lol). I am assuming this machine wont be hosting your data lake? If so that is going to be the first issue depending on your network side... unless you are ok with a very small data retention window.

As for the cpu core for elastic the biggest thing is going to be network size. It will depend on the amount of data and logs it needs to ingest and the average EPS of your setup. Now if comes down to custom rules and how you are parsing out those logs... I mean it can be complex or simple, but still factors to consider.

Now me I wouldn't go a cheap route on this as having these systems go down for any length of time can be very bad since you lose crucial visibility. Now I am guessing the size of the company you need this for is rather small, but I would still probably go with a server grade setup here. 

So is there not a something on a rack you can use cycles on for this? That would be my first choice. From there it would be threadripper and then a 3950x.

Also another reason to use epyc will be more ram slots and higher memory capacity. I mean I would do something like an epyc 7542 tbh lol.