Worth Buying now 1440p 144HZ monitor?

keavlar

We see that the OLED displays becoming the thing.

I am using and old fashion IPS display with 60Hz, 1080p 8ms response time.

Should I buy a new monitor now, Like Asus PG279QE 27inch 165Hz, 1440p.

Or wait a little linger for new set of monitors, or for and older become cheaper?! 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

OLED panels are susceptible to burn-in, so if you were using it for a desktop environment where the task bar is always at the bottom, icons in the same place for extended periods of time, etc... it could result in screen burn-in. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong - but this is the case with most OLED TVs. I own the latest model of LG's 65" OLED tv (not the specific model with a LOT of burn-in complaints... just a year model after that one!) 

My TV has a pixel-shifting feature, and another feature where you can schedule it to refresh pixels across the board the next time the TV is off. (takes a long time to run)

So, I'd just go with a 1440p / 144hz IPS panel (or VA if you prefer). As far I've known, only CS:GO gamers prefer anything above 144hz and they are hardcore. Most would argue 144hz is the sweet spot for 1440p because you have to keep in mind these are more frame rates your video card has to generate and keep up with the refresh rate. 

monitors are always coming out. Anytime there is a good sale is a good time to buy what your looking for IMO. They will get cheaper in the future but your looking at a slow decline and not a drop in $1000 a month in pricing. If your wanting the monitor I say do what feels right. 140+Hz is nice as alot of people like the smooth feeling. I am a color junkie and unless it had accurate reproduction I usually look away, but not everyone is as picky as myself. I do not see anything on the horizon as its the start of a new year and the tech shows have not all come out yet. I bet more monitors will come out but most will either be the very expensive or normal monitors that you will see next year. 

i used a c9 55 for 3 weeks as a Monitor playing destiny 2 Hdr 60 oled light after that 3 weeks i already could see the white/orange hud on the left on a grey screen played like 100 hours after a full compensation cycle it went away but still i gave it back and got a x27p instead oled will prob never be decent for gaming i mean there is the 55 alienware oled *Monitor* but its capped at 300 nits max + no hdr and costs alot more then a c9 and prob uses the same panel and just limits the brightniss so it does not burn in that fast.

Just buy a 1440p 144hz Ips the lg nano ips Monitors seem pretty decent 

29 minutes ago, carb0nxl said:

OLED panels are susceptible to burn-in, so if you were using it for a desktop environment where the task bar is always at the bottom, icons in the same place for extended periods of time, etc... it could result in screen burn-in. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong - but this is the case with most OLED TVs. I own the latest model of LG's 65" OLED tv (not the specific model with a LOT of burn-in complaints... just a year model after that one!) 

My TV has a pixel-shifting feature, and another feature where you can schedule it to refresh pixels across the board the next time the TV is off. (takes a long time to run)

So, I'd just go with a 1440p / 144hz IPS panel (or VA if you prefer). As far I've known, only CS:GO gamers prefer anything above 144hz and they are hardcore. Most would argue 144hz is the sweet spot for 1440p because you have to keep in mind these are more frame rates your video card has to generate and keep up with the refresh rate. 

About frame rates. 
I read different comments about that.

Correct please if  this is wrong. 

People say To feel the 144hz you also need to have over 140fps while gaming, if you have less, you will fell the same as on 60hz. 

But some says, that if you play on 144hz even with 60~80 fps, with Gsync active, you do feel a smooth game. 

So which one is true?

I do not wanna get an 1440p with 144hz , and with my gtx 1070 get 60~80 fps (Medium - Max settings) and see lags, or not feel smooth game play. 

What you say. 

28 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

monitors are always coming out. Anytime there is a good sale is a good time to buy what your looking for IMO. They will get cheaper in the future but your looking at a slow decline and not a drop in $1000 a month in pricing. If your wanting the monitor I say do what feels right. 140+Hz is nice as alot of people like the smooth feeling. I am a color junkie and unless it had accurate reproduction I usually look away, but not everyone is as picky as myself. I do not see anything on the horizon as its the start of a new year and the tech shows have not all come out yet. I bet more monitors will come out but most will either be the very expensive or normal monitors that you will see next year. 

I have already Dell Monitors with good colors, but now I want an 1440p 144hz exp. 

5 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

i used a c9 55 for 3 weeks as a Monitor playing destiny 2 Hdr 60 oled light after that 3 weeks i already could see the white/orange hud on the left on a grey screen played like 100 hours after a full compensation cycle it went away but still i gave it back and got a x27p instead oled will prob never be decent for gaming i mean there is the 55 alienware oled *Monitor* but its capped at 300 nits max + no hdr and costs alot more then a c9 and prob uses the same panel and just limits the brightniss so it does not burn in that fast.

Just buy a 1440p 144hz Ips the lg nano ips Monitors seem pretty decent 

Do not have good LG monitors here 1440p 144hz

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Real Gsync helps alot to make the game feel smoother if you only have 60/70 fps and cant max out the 144hz i always have that prob with the x27p cause 4k 144hz/120hz is super hard to get in *high end games* 

Are u a hardcore gamer and would prf a faster tn panel or would u prf better colors contrast etc if you want a decent looking panel i would look for a va panel 

6 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

Real Gsync helps alot to make the game feel smoother if you only have 60/70 fps and cant max out the 144hz i always have that prob with the x27p cause 4k 144hz/120hz is super hard to get in *high end games* 

Are u a hardcore gamer and would prf a faster tn panel or would u prf better colors contrast etc if you want a decent looking panel i would look for a va panel 

The only good option I saw, was the asus version. I prefer IPS. 

So you saying even with 70 fps and Gsync I can have a smooth game ?! 

1 minute ago, keavlar said:

The only good option I saw, was the asus version. I prefer IPS. 

I would not buy that PG279QE looking on google u can be really unlucky with that one in terms of blb 

2016-01-06 16.35.17.jpg

3 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

I would not buy that PG279QE looking on google u can be really unlucky with that one in terms of blb 

2016-01-06 16.35.17.jpg

:(  Any other suggestions?
Also, I can replace it then, or return then.

:(  Any other suggestions?
Also, I can replace it then, or return then.

What kind of other options do u have ? i know there are some Msi va ones trust me va panels are not that bad they have almost the same colors as ips but alot better contrast so that even if they have a bit blb it does not look as bad as if u have blb on a ips one 

Just now, xhackforeverxdx said:

What kind of other options do u have ? i know there are some Msi va ones trust me va panels are not that bad they have almost the same colors as ips but alot better contrast so that even if they have a bit blb it does not look as bad as if u have blb on a ips one 

https://www.tms.co.il/index.php?route=product/category&path=10037_100025&c=100025&a=0&i[]=33357%2B10263&i[]=27207%2B10237&p=1&s=p.price-ASC&l=30

https://ksp.co.il/?select=.1304..230.

https://www.wellcom.co.il/index.php?route=product/category&path=10087_100009

https://www.tms.co.il/index.php?route=product/product&path=10037_100025&product_id=17368

i had a version of that one for 2 years if u can life without g sync its not bad as far as i know its around 3000:1 contrast and its a qled panel with 135% srgb it even supports hdr 600

4 minutes ago, keavlar said:

Thats a better one then the Asus for sure its one of the newer 1ms ips panels great for gaming prob like the new lg 1ms ips Monitors 

1 minute ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

https://www.tms.co.il/index.php?route=product/product&path=10037_100025&product_id=17368

i had a version of that one for 2 years if u can life without g sync its not bad as far as i know its around 3000:1 contrast and its a qled panel with 135% srgb it even supports hdr 600

Thats a better one then the Asus for sure its one of the newer 1ms ips panels great for gaming prob like the new lg 1ms ips Monitors 

Need Gsync  so i wont have to upgrade now  gtx 1070. 

You sure about  AORUS 

And is it has teh Gsync?  It says G-SYNC Compatible

Need Gsync  so i wont have to upgrade now  gtx 1070. 

You sure about  AORUS 

And is it has teh Gsync?  It says G-SYNC Compatible

G-SYNC Compatible is not real G-SYNC so it has no real G-SYNC Modul build in its more like a software version of G-SYNC i would buy the Samsung it offers the better picture by far i prf va over ips cause of ips glow. But if u can life with ips glow and u play in a bright room i would go for the gigabyte aorus one over the Asus the panel is newer :) ( just note that i can just tell u what i would do i am not perfect) Could u look at them in Stores ? 

1 minute ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

G-SYNC Compatible is not real G-SYNC so it has no real G-SYNC Modul build in its more like a software version of G-SYNC i would buy the Samsung it offers the better picture by far i prf va over ips cause of ips glow. But if u can life with ips glow and u play in a bright room i would go for the gigabyte aorus one over the Asus the panel is newer :) ( just note that i can just tell u what i would do i am not perfect) Could u look at them in Stores ? 

Nop, they are not set for display. I guess i will stick with Asus then, gsync, and all. 

Nop, they are not set for display. I guess i will stick with Asus then, gsync, and all. 

so u ignore what i told u and u buy the Asus anyway hahaha :D Well i wish u good look with the Panel lottery ^^ maybe your lucky if not just send it back 

42 minutes ago, keavlar said:

People say To feel the 144hz you also need to have over 140fps while gaming, if you have less, you will fell the same as on 60hz. 

The screen still runs at 144hz regardless of what FPS your putting out but unless your pushing 140+FPS your not taking advantage of it. So you wouldn't be utilizing that feature your paying for in essence. 

7 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

so u ignore what i told u and u buy the Asus anyway hahaha :D Well i wish u good look with the Panel lottery ^^ maybe your lucky if not just send it back 

Actually, after your comment I checked again, and i might not buy it. XD

Just now, keavlar said:

Actually, after your comment I checked again, and i might not buy it. XD

Just trust me on that Asus its not what u want ^^ Asus has horrible Quality control 

8 hours ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

Just trust me on that Asus its not what u want ^^ Asus has horrible Quality control 

You mean all Asus monitors? Products? Or this model?! 

Should I consider 

ROG SWIFT PG278QR

19 hours ago, keavlar said:

We see that the OLED displays becoming the thing.

I am using and old fashion IPS display with 60Hz, 1080p 8ms response time.

Should I buy a new monitor now, Like Asus PG279QE 27inch 165Hz, 1440p.

Or wait a little linger for new set of monitors, or for and older become cheaper?! 

OLED isnt coming to monitors anytime soon. No announcements of development, no rumors.

However LG has 48" OLED TVs coming this year that have all the gaming features u'd want.

VRR, BFI, 120hz 4k.

As for the so called 'burn-in', you have to work around it, adjust ur use to compensate. many people have gotten used to LCD and become lazy with their usage of these screens, leaving them on for long periods with static images etc.

CRT, Plasma, and now OLED can all suffer from image retention, be it real burn-in or just pixel degradation. However as with CRT and Plasma, u can work around that issue.

1st and foremost, if u play just 1 game all the time.. then yea avoid OLED. Pixel degradation on OLEDs is cumulative, not immediate. So while u can play a long gaming session and not have to worry about immediate 'burn-in' like with a Plasma, u do have to worry about the cumulative degradation u get from displaying the same static image over and over. Thus if u intend on spending 1000 hours playing the same game, u should avoid OLED.

Rtings has tested the older C7 OLEDs and found that even high contrast UI's like in FiFa take about 1000 hours before the degradation ('burn-in') is permanent. The Pixel refresh/compensation cycle is something u do need to let happen to remove the 'minor' degradation u may notice after say 100 hours.

If however u are a 'gamer' , someone who plays many different games over the course of the year, then you should be fine with an OLED. Varied use of a OLED display allows thousands of hours of use without issue.

In regards to the Windows desktop. You will need to change a few things to stop 'burn-in'.

'Hide task bar' is a necessity.

Desktop Icons should be moved often, though if u always have up a window such as a browser they should be covered most of the time.

'Windows' such as ur browser should not be opened in full-screen all the time, this is to stop the icons such as the X for closing from 'burning in' due to always being in the exact same place in the top right.

Set your desktop background to change ever 5 to 10 minutes. The more different wallpapers the better. (I use about 20)

Enable a black screen screensaver. I use 'Mystify' set to 4 minutes.

So if u vary the games u play and adjust ur use like above, u should be fine.  Some may say it sounds like a hassle, but i assure you, from my own personal experience, it becomes second nature, normal, not a hassle at all.

I use a Plasma, and i have followed these steps for at least 10 years now and do not have any 'burn-in' caused by such use.

I myself intend on buying one of the LG CX 48" OLEDs this year for my primary and only PC display to replace my Plasma.

Also remember LGs 1 year warranty covers 'Burn-in', and some retailers will have extended warranty services. Currys (PCWorld) in the UK for example has 5 year guarantees on all TVs.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |