First Home Network

limegorilla
Okay - so I have finally had enough of my ISP router. It's shitty, slow and - apparently rather susceptible to attacks due to it's slow and outdated Intel hardware.
For reference - I am on Virgin Media M350 (Downloads between 300 - 400 Mb, Uploads 40 Mb) and I do a lot of local stuff.

So I have been looking around, and so far have come to the conclusion that:
  • As I like to play around, and really customise pretty much everything - pfSense is the way to go.
  • Running it off an ex-enterprise server off eBay is the way to go
  • Preferably the AP I get should be Wifi 6
  • I'll want to use cat6a cabling

But I do have a few questions:
  • Ubiquiti seems to be the de-facto standard anywhere I go, and by the looks of it, the software is the reason. As they don't seem to have an available Access Point with Wifi 6, other than a gaming one that I'm not interested in (I would prefer the standalone AP's) should I go Ubiquiti now, or shop for another brand with an AX AP?
  • Does pfSense prefer cores or clock speed? From what I can see it is reliably run on Raspberry Pi's so I should assume a server would be miles more powerful. Also - what about RAM? Faster or more of it?
  • Where is the best place to get Ubiquiti devices? I live in the UK and most of the retailers Ubiquiti list are business only/prices on demand, etc. I've seen them on Amazon, but if anyone knows somewhere better for the UK I am all ears

Again, my internet speeds are around D350/U40 and I will be doing quite a bit of local files (video file server for example)
Thanks very much!
Edited by limegorilla
Added question, formatting

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

Firstly, AFAIK you wont be able to replace the Virgin Media router, you can only switch it into bridge/modem mode.  This is not necessarily a bad thing though, unless its the modem part that you were having issues with.

An ex-enterprise server might be cheap to buy, but its going to use FAR more electricity than a dedicated low-end appliance designed for something like pfSense.

Its a very bad time to buy into WiFi 6 as its not even expected to be fully ratified until the end of this year, its not yet feature complete and WiFi 6e is potentially on the way giving us a brand new WiFi frequency band to play with.

I recently bought a UniFi nanoHD with the intent of going to WiFi 6 in a few years, once all the dust has settled and proper implementations are released.

pfSense currently prefers clock speed I believe, particularly if you ever to use OpenVPN which is not multi-threaded.  But generally its a balance of both as the actual packet filtering (routing) is multi-threaded.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

11 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Firstly, AFAIK you wont be able to replace the Virgin Media router, you can only switch it into bridge/modem mode.  This is not necessarily a bad thing though, unless its the modem part that you were having issues with.

I am aware. You can just spoof the MAC address as Virgin does not do periodic checks - only when your IP changes, which is about once every three months. I'm looking into it, but would most likely keep the Virgin Hub as a modem for now

An ex-enterprise server might be cheap to buy, but its going to use FAR more electricity than a dedicated low-end appliance designed for something like pfSense.

What kind of devices would you suggest? My other option is going entirely ubiquiti, then using a cloud key to tie them together - which doesnt sound like a bad idea to be honest - but money is a factor. So what kind of hardware?

Its a very bad time to buy into WiFi 6 as its not even expected to be fully ratified until the end of this year, its not yet feature complete and WiFi 6e is potentially on the way giving us a brand new WiFi frequency band to play with.

I recently bought a UniFi nanoHD with the intent of going to WiFi 6 in a few years, once all the dust has settled and proper implementations are released.

What kind of speeds do you get on that? I have quite a lot of devices (many are Smart Home ones, on 2.5GHz but I do have a lot of devices) will that stand up to quite a bit of load?

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

1 minute ago, limegorilla said:

What kind of devices would you suggest? My other option is going entirely ubiquiti, then using a cloud key to tie them together - which doesnt sound like a bad idea to be honest - but money is a factor. So what kind of hardware?

You could build a computer and install pfsense or buy a pfsense appliance like the SG-1100 or the SG-3100 from netgate (the company that makes pfsense)