Is it time to upgrade my ssd?

paprikman
Go to solution Solved by Arika,

doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. get another ssd additional storage, but keep using the one you have. my OS is installed on a 7 year old sata SSD.

Hi!

I've had my corsair sata ssd for about 8-9 years now. It still performs ok, but Idk when I should replace it. It has no particularly reliable data, most of the software is installed to a hard drive. The ssd is used for the os, some has-to-be-smooth stuff like vscode, etc. It was used for games only once, for about 2 weeks when my old hdd died.

So, the question is, how to determine whether it's time to upgrade? My CDM test results are below. Thanks!

P.S. the mobo is asus rog strix b360-g gaming.

image.png.9adea078929988921e03576425598432.png

11 minutes ago, paprikman said:

So, the question is, how to determine whether it's time to upgrade?

You can't.

It can die in a month as it can die in 10 years.....

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

6 minutes ago, Constantin said:

You can't.

It can die in a month as it can die in 10 years.....

Sure it can, but it kinda sucks. The crystal disk info shows 'good' and 'very good' for my both drives, but it was the same when my previous hdd died. I would like to get something for work anyways, since build/test times are sow much better on the ssd.

If you want, you can alway get a new nvme drive, should feel a bit faster, and you can get much more space aswell.

Look at amount of writes the drives has, but there is always random failure aswell.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you want, you can alway get a new nvme drive, should feel a bit faster, and you can get much more space aswell.

Look at amount of writes the drives has, but there is always random failure aswell.

Yeah, thanks, I somehow forgot to add a crystal disk info results, but it says 'very good'. Will look into them again a bit later.

As for the nvme drives - I have one in a laptop, but I can't really see that it is any faster.

I think, I will just make a backup of all the data and give up for now.

doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. get another ssd additional storage, but keep using the one you have. my OS is installed on a 7 year old sata SSD.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

41 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Yeah, I was thinking of it, thankfully they are cheap today, so I can improve my workflow and load times.

If there is a manufacturer tool for it you can check TBW vs the warrantied TBW to get some sort of an idea of drive life, but you're unlikely to have made serious progress towards the limits of the drive. Past wear, you can't tell when a drive will die that I know of.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:53 AM, paprikman said:

Hi!

I've had my corsair sata ssd for about 8-9 years now. It still performs ok, but Idk when I should replace it. It has no particularly reliable data, most of the software is installed to a hard drive. The ssd is used for the os, some has-to-be-smooth stuff like vscode, etc. It was used for games only once, for about 2 weeks when my old hdd died.

So, the question is, how to determine whether it's time to upgrade? My CDM test results are below. Thanks!

P.S. the mobo is asus rog strix b360-g gaming.

image.png.9adea078929988921e03576425598432.png

There's never a bad excuse for an upgrade assuming you can afford it :)

On 1/27/2020 at 1:14 AM, paprikman said:

Sure it can, but it kinda sucks. The crystal disk info shows 'good' and 'very good' for my both drives, but it was the same when my previous hdd died. I would like to get something for work anyways, since build/test times are sow much better on the ssd.

There's no reason to get a new drive, but you obviously want to. So do it.

You can benefit from the SSD for booting, so why not?