i5-3570k + Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super OC

Hey guys,

Had this ancient pc build for quite some while and recently decided to upgrade few parts, added 8gb RAM (16 in total now), SSD and replaced the old MSI gtx 660 2gb GPU with GTX 1660 Super.

Before purchase I checked that my CPU might bottleneck the gpu  for ~20%, my question is how much would Overclocking my CPU would help to reduce the bottleneck if help at all? What is the safe OC for the CPU without dedicated cpu cooler? And how much could push the OC if I bought the cooler?

My spec:

CPU: i5-3570k 3.40GHz

RAM: 16GB 1333MHz (mix of old Kingston 2x4Gb and new 2x4Gb Hyperx)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Performance

PSU: Corsair CX 600 W 80+ Bronze

image.thumb.png.284da5379d346505b369070ec1dda95e.png

if you're cpu limited, overclocking will help. a 10% increase in clock speed will probably translate in 10% increase in fps

I'd just crank up the clock to 102.9 and enable multi-core-enhancement...then bench test it using Cinebench R15.  I'd not put too much faith in those online bottlenecking figures...

7 minutes ago, TiFicate said:

Hey guys,

Had this ancient pc build for quite some while and recently decided to upgrade few parts, added 8gb RAM (16 in total now), SSD and replaced the old MSI gtx 660 2gb GPU with GTX 1660 Super.

Before purchase I checked that my CPU might bottleneck the gpu  for ~20%, my question is how much would Overclocking my CPU would help to reduce the bottleneck if help at all? What is the safe OC for the CPU without dedicated cpu cooler? And how much could push the OC if I bought the cooler?

My spec:

CPU: i5-3570k 3.40GHz

RAM: 16GB 1333MHz (mix of old Kingston 2x4Gb and new 2x4Gb Hyperx)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Performance

PSU: Corsair CX 600 W 80+ Bronze

You'll probably want to just go ahead and play some games while monitoring your GPU usage.

If its getting 100% usage, you're probably fine without the OC. Either way, OC-ing will further improve performance.

If you're using a stock intel cooler, there probably isn't any thermal headroom for overclocking. You can easily confirm by monitoring temps under load.

A hyper 212 evo or equivalent could probably get you an easy 4.5 GHz. Probably not worth spending much more than that.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

21 minutes ago, TiFicate said:

Before purchase I checked that my CPU might bottleneck the gpu  for ~20%

ignore bottleneck calculators. 20% means nothing in this context.

my question is how much would Overclocking my CPU would help to reduce the bottleneck if help at all?

if you are CPU bound, overclocking always helps, regardless of the CPU's age. 

What is the safe OC for the CPU without dedicated cpu cooler?

any OC that keeps the temperatures and voltage in check is safe. If you can pull of 4.6 with a super low voltage (and therefore low heat output) then it doesn't matter what the cooler is as long as it's doing its job

And how much could push the OC if I bought the cooler?

which cooler is "the" cooler? If you want an inexpensive CPU cooler for a good overclock on your i5, the Hyper 212 evo is a good option these days, closer to its $25 asking price from a while ago

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4.2ghz should work right off the bat, up to 4.6ghz should be relatively easy with some increases in voltages. Keep us updated.

46 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

which cooler is "the" cooler? If you want an inexpensive CPU cooler for a good overclock on your i5, the Hyper 212 evo is a good option these days, closer to its $25 asking price from a while ago

47 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

You'll probably want to just go ahead and play some games while monitoring your GPU usage.

If its getting 100% usage, you're probably fine without the OC. Either way, OC-ing will further improve performance.

If you're using a stock intel cooler, there probably isn't any thermal headroom for overclocking. You can easily confirm by monitoring temps under load.

A hyper 212 evo or equivalent could probably get you an easy 4.5 GHz. Probably not worth spending much more than that.

Thanks for such quick reponses!

I see you both mentioning 212 Evo. Lets say I bought it and OC from 3.5 to 4.5 GHz how much of a difference would that actually be? Would it affect fps a lot in games like GTA5, PUBG and newer triple A titles?

Or should I save the few bucks and just overall upgrade my CPU in the ~2years? 

Edit: According to pcpartpicker Evo212 and my Aerocool Xpredator-X1 Black Edition ATX Mid Tower are not compatible, so scratch that I guess :/

2 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

4.2ghz should work right off the bat, up to 4.6ghz should be relatively easy with some increases in voltages. Keep us updated.

Do you know any good OC guide or video? I know that its different with every system and so on, but im kinda lost in all these voltage things etc. and to be honest from what I read you have to make tons of hours of stress tests which frankly looks kinda bothersome, therefore why I havent OC'ed my CPU after so many years.

Thanks for such quick reponses!

I see you both mentioning 212 Evo. Lets say I bought it and OC from 3.5 to 4.5 GHz how much of a difference would that actually be? Would it affect fps a lot in games like GTA5, PUBG and newer triple A titles?

I would first check and see if you're able to play these games and maintain 98-100% gpu usage at all times.

If you are frequently dropping below this, I think it would be worth the cooler upgrade+overclock. Also, If you can find one cheap enough (say $80 or less) an i7-3770K wouldn't be a bad purchase either if you are budget constrained. Your existing 3470k may struggle in PUBG and new AAA games, even overclocked.

If you can maintain 98-100% GPU usage at all times in your current configuration, the overclock would still yield an improvement, but likely not as much. May be worth upgrading to an entire new platform down the road instead. Its really impossible to tell to what degree without testing all of these specific configurations out in specific games that you play.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

14 minutes ago, TiFicate said:

how much of a difference would that actually be? Would it affect fps a lot in games like GTA5, PUBG and newer triple A titles?

any games where you're facing performance issues with your CPU will be affected. Can't give you an FPS figure but you should definitely experiment to see what works for you.

15 minutes ago, TiFicate said:

you'd be able to use a tower cooler on a new CPU down the line regardless.

18 minutes ago, TiFicate said:

According to pcpartpicker Evo212 and my Aerocool Xpredator-X1 Black Edition ATX Mid Tower are not compatible, so scratch that I guess

try these

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hJFPxr/deepcool-cpu-cooler-gammaxx400

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/HQW9TW/corsair-cpu-cooler-cafa70

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/r3xfrH/arctic-cooling-cpu-cooler-ucacop0900csb01

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

16 minutes ago, TiFicate said:

Do you know any good OC guide or video? I know that its different with every system and so on, but im kinda lost in all these voltage things etc. and to be honest from what I read you have to make tons of hours of stress tests which frankly looks kinda bothersome, therefore why I havent OC'ed my CPU after so many years.

Unless you're trying to max out everything possible it is not that difficult. You are able to increase the multiplier for Turbo, actually set to 37 or auto. You can start with 40 (=4ghz), test it, then increase by 1, check again, and so on. If it is giving errors you can decide to go back one step or to increase the voltages, then retest.

3 hours ago, TiFicate said:

I have same cpu and exactly same mobo ? 
Recently I was playing with oc, max what I could hit was 4.8ghz @ 1.35v 

In general try not to go above 1.4v and you should be good. If you need any more help oc let me know, I can assist ?

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

You might want to buy a 2600k on eBay. They are selling for 70 USD. 3570k is selling for 35 on eBay. So $35 upgrade. (3770k is about $100) upgrade. An OC'd 4C/4T is probably gonna bottleneck in modern titles. You really want 4C/8T in 2020+. 

• 5 months later...

I have this same combo

Haf X
Win 10
Intel 3570k
Asus P8 Z77 V Pro mobo
Corsair ddr3 1600 16gb ram
Corsair H80
Evga 480
Seasonic 760 PSU
Intel 320 ssd 120gb (boot drive)
WD 1tb black 7200 rpm (programs and games)
WD 1tb green 7200 rpm (multimedia)

I just picked up a Gigabyte 1660 super triple fan gpu yesterday to replace the Evga 480 which recently passed away.

I wasn't looking to spend a lot of $ or build a new system right now. Is there anything else worth upgrading or just let it live out its days?

On 7/2/2020 at 1:22 AM, nyrmetros said:

I have this same combo

Haf X
Win 10
Intel 3570k
Asus P8 Z77 V Pro mobo
Corsair ddr3 1600 16gb ram
Corsair H80
Evga 480
Seasonic 760 PSU
Intel 320 ssd 120gb (boot drive)
WD 1tb black 7200 rpm (programs and games)
WD 1tb green 7200 rpm (multimedia)

I just picked up a Gigabyte 1660 super triple fan gpu yesterday to replace the Edgar 480 which recently passed away.

I wasn't looking to spend a lot of $ or build a new system right now. Is there anything else worth upgrading or just let it live out its days?

Thoughts? Also looking to get a 1tb ssd for games. All my hard drives are pretty much full. Suggestions? 

Thinking about the Crucial MX500 1 tb or the Samsung 860 1tb?

• 3 weeks later...

Any other upgrades I can make without doing a complete new build?

• 2 weeks later...

So I realized that I have not changed the thermal compound in this computer since the day it was built back in 2012. What is a good thermal compound to use these days? I know Linus and others have lots of videos posted about the process of actually doing it.