Best way to backup a dying drive?

FlpDaMattress

Hello lads, Probably an unusual question with no right answer. Earlier today I replaced the HDD in a friends 2012 Mac book, His last time machine backup was 2018. I was kinda curious how it would look in CrystalDiskInfo so i threw it in my drive toaster and it spun up just fine. Since there is a chance i can backup data from it, What's the best way to do so? Windows File explorer would corrupt everything if the drive dies mid transfer, Is there a better/ more reliable alternative for copying whatever i can over?

If a drive is red in CrystalDiskInfo, it doesn't mean it will die tomorrow....

It can die in a day as it can die in years......

just copy it, it will just read...

not many options...

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

2 minutes ago, Constantin said:

If a drive is red in CrystalDiskInfo, it doesn't mean it will die tomorrow....

It can die in a day as it can die in years......

Drive was dead and clicking when i pulled it. file explorer sprung open..

1 minute ago, FlpDaMattress said:

Drive was dead and clicking when i pulled it. file explorer sprung open..

Ohh ok, but as i said.

Whatever you do, it will read from the drive......

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Your drive was clicking when you pulled it? That isn't good. Continuing to attempt to pull data from the drive will risk further damage to the drive. 

If the data is important enough to you, I recommend sending it to a data recovery company. The ones I recommend (former data recovery engineer):
No particular order:
We Recover Data

Drive Savers
Salvage Data

If the data isn't as important and you are willing to risk a catastrophic failure, you could try Unstoppable Copier by roadkil. With the drive in its current shape, I HIGHLY doubt it will work. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

yeah the data is important but not worth spending a few hundred bucks on. mostly memes and stuff if I'm being honest

I decided to just send it and copy the drive with Minitool Partition Wizard to an external HDD. already got a 1tb WD blue in the mail. easy money.

shoutout to r/LinusFaces

ddrescue, it will copy the drive without insisting on bad sectors to avoid losing time/damaging further, then once it's done a first pass on the full drive it goes back to those bad sectors and tries a bit longer, etc over multiple passes.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, FlpDaMattress said:

yeah the data is important but not worth spending a few hundred bucks on. mostly memes and stuff if I'm being honest

I decided to just send it and copy the drive with Minitool Partition Wizard to an external HDD. already got a 1tb WD blue in the mail. easy money...

If only it would cost just a few hudred bucks. It would be more likely to cost well north of $1k.

While this is too late to help your friend with his data, you might try convincing him to start making and maintaining backups. While, ideally, data needs to exist in three separate places to be reasonably safe, such as on the computer, on an onsite external drive, and on an offsite external drive (and the external drives kept disconnected from the computer, powered down, and stored out of sight of the computer except while updating one of the backups), even one backup is considerably better than none.

People, you all need to pay attention to Lord Xeb. He used to work as a drive recovery expert and has forgotten more about drives and drive recovery than most of us will ever know. 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

If only it would cost just a few hudred bucks. It would be more likely to cost well north of $1k.

While this is too late to help your friend with his data, you might try convincing him to start making and maintaining backups. While, ideally, data needs to exist in three separate places to be reasonably safe, such as on the computer, on an onsite external drive, and on an offsite external drive (and the external drives kept disconnected from the computer, powered down, and stored out of sight of the computer except while updating one of the backups), even one backup is considerably better than none.

People, you all need to pay attention to Lord Xeb. He used to work as a drive recovery expert and has forgotten more about drives and drive recovery than most of us will ever know. 

Thanks Fitz. Yeah, based on what the OP is saying. The drive is likely hitting a badly degraded area of the drive and completely destabilizing the drive, resulting in the drive clicking. Likely the result of a weak head possibly. Either that, or there is something far worse going on. 

As a guess, the cost of recovery on this is going to be the following

Low end ~$950
Average - ~$1150
High - ~$1490

Hopefully it is just a degraded surface or a weak head. I could work with a weak head. Read as much as you can, then go over the weaker areas. Keep going till the head fails, swap, and pray. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD