Is my CPU dying/dead?

Hi everyone!

I'm experiencing some trouble with my latest setup. Just purchased a RTX 2070s in praparation for Cyberpunk and other demanding titles etc. I did a lot of preparation and research and decided that my pre-existing Ryzen 2600 would be okay for the time being until I can scrape some money together for a new chip. I play quite a lot of Battlefield V, RDR2 (I know optimisation still sucks) and other demanding games.

Framerates seem to be way down in comparison to other peoples results even with lower GPUs and the same CPU. The CPU used to be overclocked to 4.1 but is now stock since i thought a dodgy overclock was the issue. I am experiencing unplayable microstutters and framerates on ultra settings bouncing around the low 60s up to the 90s. From what i've seen i should be expecting some fairly smooth 100+ fps gameplay at all times. My GPU usage is around 50% on max settings in BFV with the CPU sitting between 50% and 80% usage. Temps aren't the issue either, even under full synthetic load the CPU never goes over 50 and GPU never goes over 70.

I'm pretty clued up about the technical aspect of computers and messing around with the bios.

Can anyone help me please :D would like to be able to sort this out soon.

Specs:

Ryzen 2600 (non X)

EVGA RTX 2070s FTW3

16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz

ASUS B450-F mobo

EVGA 750-G2

Did you DDU the old video driver and then install the latest version for your new 2070 Super from Nvidia's website?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

57 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Did you DDU the old video driver and then install the latest version for your new 2070 Super from Nvidia's website?

Thanks for the quick response, I'm afraid this doesn't seem to have changed anything. Even on Low settings i rarely make it over 110 FPS (a framerate that is hould be hitting even on high/ultra) any other ideas? GPU usage and CPU usage seems to have stayed the same :(

Thanks anyway :)

The GPU usage is higher in the BFV home screen than it is in game. surely this isn't right?

12 minutes ago, Strandox said:

The GPU usage is higher in the BFV home screen than it is in game. surely this isn't right?

Yeah that doesn't seem quite right, especially since the FPS is locked in the menu anyway if I remember correctly.

Have you tried both DX11 and DX12? Have you enabled XMP in the BIOS so your RAM runs at the rated 3000MHz frequency? What resolution are you playing at?

You could try disabling HPET, it seems to help some people with performance but not everyone so I wouldn't guarantee it would help.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

24 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Yeah that doesn't seem quite right, especially since the FPS is locked in the menu anyway if I remember correctly.

Have you tried both DX11 and DX12? Have you enabled XMP in the BIOS so your RAM runs at the rated 3000MHz frequency? What resolution are you playing at?

You could try disabling HPET, it seems to help some people with performance but not everyone so I wouldn't guarantee it would help.

I'm just about to do some more testing with both DX11 and DX12. I believe I'm running D.O.C.P 5 in my bios so my RAM is running at 3000MHz yes. I'm playing at 1080p becasue I enjoy high framerates over larger resolutions.

I just have few quick stats from a few little tests I've just completed:

DOOM 2016 - 200fps capped maximum settings, a few stutters here and there.

Witcher 3 - 100-115fps settings maxed (inc hairworks) 98%GPU 27% CPU occasional stutters

Far Cry 4 - 100-130fps settings maxed 60% GPU 30%CPU changing settings from ultra to low has no significant differance minimal stutters

COD Advanced Warfare (old title but still looks great) - 180-200fps settings maxed 97%GPU 30%CPU no stutters

RDR2 - 80-110fps optimized settings 95%GPU 60%CPU

If the DX11/DX12 thing doesn't work i will have a look at changing some HPET settings.

Thanks for the help, any other ideas? :P

54 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I have somewhat fixed my overall framerate issue. I am on DX12 and have turned future frame rendering on. my GPU is at 85%to95% usage and fps is at 90-150 on max settings. I still have the issue of stutters though especially when entering scenes. I will be running at 150fps and then have a massive stutter when loading new scenes. i thought that this would be the CPU but on paper its not even stressed, its only at around 70% load.

5 minutes ago, Strandox said:

I have somewhat fixed my overall framerate issue. I am on DX12 and have turned future frame rendering on. my GPU is at 85%to95% usage and fps is at 90-150 on max settings. I still have the issue of stutters though especially when entering scenes. I will be running at 150fps and then have a massive stutter when loading new scenes. i thought that this would be the CPU but on paper its not even stressed, its only at around 70% load.

Never had that happen in BF5. Do you have it installed on an SSD? If not, that could also be a cause.

11 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Never had that happen in BF5. Do you have it installed on an SSD? If not, that could also be a cause.

I will try this next. i should have some space left on one of them. cheers! i will be back with results in a while

1 minute ago, Strandox said:

I will try this next. i should have some space left on one of them. cheers! i will be back with results in a while

No worries! 

Try to leave at least about 10-15% of free space on SSDs btw, as completely filling an SSD up can hurt its performance.

1 hour ago, Strandox said:

I'm not using green gpu on my system anymore but based on what you are experiencing it seems the same on my GTX 1050 Ti before.
What I did was to disable the in game overlay of GeForce Experience or just completely uninstall the GeForce Experience. (It tends to eat up some ram usage anyway and the only thing useful I find for it is it informs you for GPU driver updates lol). 
Anyways, maybe you can give that a shot as well if all else fail. Just the GeForce Experience. 
I'm on team red gpu now w/ their latest adrenaline 2020 and I also find disabling the in game overlay of it giving me better fps and performance on all my games. :)

12 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

No worries! 

Try to leave at least about 10-15% of free space on SSDs btw, as completely filling an SSD up can hurt its performance.

Haha just uninstalled the game and realised that it was already installed onto the Boot SSD :D currently installing it onto my second ssd to see what happens.

Cheers!

7 minutes ago, Booterbotter said:

I'm not using green gpu on my system anymore but based on what you are experiencing it seems the same on my GTX 1050 Ti before.
What I did was to disable the in game overlay of GeForce Experience or just completely uninstall the GeForce Experience. (It tends to eat up some ram usage anyway and the only thing useful I find for it is it informs you for GPU driver updates lol). 
Anyways, maybe you can give that a shot as well if all else fail. Just the GeForce Experience. 
I'm on team red gpu now w/ their latest adrenaline 2020 and I also find disabling the in game overlay of it giving me better fps and performance on all my games. :)

Haha yes i had been team red on the gpu side of things since 2013. I loved my little r9 270x my god was it a space heater. I was hypnotised into joining the green corner with super cheap 980ti deals on eBay for just £150 ? best way to get into 1080p gaming imho. I can't wait for AMD to make me feel like an idiot for dropping £550 on a gpu. Oh well, it looks nice and overclocks like a beauty.

I will have a look into your suggestions but i think the problem has been solved. And if not i will pray to the gods for a 3900x to fall through the letterbox tomorrow :D

Cheers mate!