secure OS to replace windows 10

Wormhole

Looking for a secure OS to replace w10. new to linux so im not sure what to pick. 

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

10 minutes ago, Wormhole said:

Looking for a secure OS to replace w10. new to linux so im not sure what to pick. 

I'd go with Mint if you're new

8 minutes ago, RandomKidd said:

I'd go with Mint if you're new

tried it for a week whats the difference between mint and ubuntu

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

The differences between Linux Mint and Ubuntu is, that Ubuntu serves as the base for Linux Mint. Mint makes some changes to the Ubuntu base and introduces a different user interface which is similar to how Windows works. Personally, I consider it to be the smoothest transition experience from Windows 10 to Linux.

On top of that, as Mint is based on Ubuntu, pretty much everything that works on Ubuntu will also work on Linux Mint.

On 1/18/2020 at 4:01 AM, Wormhole said:

Ubutnu or a Ubuntu type of Linux is the easiest. Ubuntu has a SHIT ton of online resources and people who can help. Thats not the say other distros dont have resources, but Ubuntu is like one of the BIG desktop Linux OS's. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 1/18/2020 at 10:01 AM, Wormhole said:

Looking for a secure OS

Try OpenBSD. Linux is unsafe.

Write in C.

Id look at Manjaro. Ubuntu and Mint are decent Distro's but have a bad habbit of shipping with outdated software and drivers. Ubuntu is built this way to help with stability, it's great for business, but as a consumer you may find some benefits of having a more up to date rolling release distro. Mint is built on Ubuntu and I think they also have a debian spin, but I have never messed with it. If you want something with a Windows feel to it, try a distro with KDE.

In the world of Linux however, everything is preference.

Ubuntu is better, mint has shi

On 1/18/2020 at 4:21 AM, Wormhole said:

tried it for a week whats the difference between mint and ubuntu

Ubuntu is better, mint has many experiences breaking bugs and issues. E.g. Lock screen freezing bugs in the most recent. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for a secure OS

It's the one where you remove all usb ports, cd/dvd and floppy readers, wifi cards ad ethernet ports from your system

On 2/16/2020 at 2:56 PM, Barnack said:

It's the one where you remove all usb ports, cd/dvd and floppy readers, wifi cards ad ethernet ports from your system

So DOS?

There we go, use MS DOS 6.1 it's the most secure OS there was.

Any OS is secure,  just disable the network driver.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

On 2/18/2020 at 12:45 PM, Slayerking92 said:

Any OS is secure,  just disable the network driver.

Don't you remember the days of viruses passed around by floppy disk?  True story.

And what if someone manually types the virus into your system.  It can happen.

It depends on the way you use your operating system.

secure OS

What do you mean by secure? Resistant to malwares, viruses, trojans? Focused on privacy? To be honest, if you get used to use any Linux operating system, you will learn how to be safe. Even if you install secure OS, but you don't focus on your habits, for example by using weak passwords, giving all administrator's privileges to every new application, your system will not be safe as you think. You need to describe specifically this word.

new to linux so im not sure what to pick. 

Distrochooser - https://distrochooser.de/en/ - you can mark the most suitable answers for you and get to know what Linux is good for you.

DistroTest - https://distrotest.net/ - you can test there a lot of the most popular Linux distributions (LiveCD).

For the begginner like you I would like reccomend for example Ubuntu, Linux Mint or Manjaro. They have very big support from community, but you need to decide on your own which you want to use.